breeding my cat

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There have been some really really really great responses to your original question Anna! I hope that you've gained more information to help you make an informed decision to do what's best for your cat.

Welcome!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larks

Also I find it a bit mean only pure breeds can breed, some of the mix breeds shouldnt be considered outcasts and unwanted.
There is a reason for that. With purebreds you know what to expect, you know what gentic tests the cat needs so you can prevent disease and heraditary problems in the future. you can also show them to find out if they meet the breed standard and should be producing more and more.to why breed mroe mixed breeds when the world is already overrun with them? it is just like all the crazy people breeding mixed mutt dogs for hundreds and thousands of dollars. Breeding should be about keeping the breeds true to their standards and keeping the breeds in existance. Not about making money, or about just having kittens because you like them. There is no point in breeding mixed breeds because they can't be shown or anything and they have no standard to strive for. But also because there are already millions too many, and so VERY many being killed everyday because they are unwanted.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only reason a mixed breed should be bred is if its in a controlled breeding program with purebreds. Many purebreds started out as mixes - American SH, British SH, Rexes. BUT the difference is you had dedicated breeders that had a goal/standard they were breeding to so that a breed could be controlled and consistent.

ANY of the kittens that didn't fit the standard were spayed/neutered and petted out to loving homes. It was not a "oh I want to keep breeding my cat cause its pretty, etc."

What you are doing is irresponsible. You have no standard you are working on - all you are doing is creating more kittens where maybe 1 in 10 will find a long lasting home. Most of them will be either turned over to shelters when the owner gets tired of the cute kitten who's a wild teenager or dumped on the side of the road for whatever reason. You might think you have great homes for your kittens - but do you REALLY know where this kitten is 5 yrs from the time its born? Since you have no insistance on spaying/neutering them before they leave, you are being irresponsible by allowing someone else to continue breeding their "cute" mixed breed kitten.

L

larks

Pedigree/ pure breed doesnt mean they have less chance of being disregarded. We've had a pedigree dog before from a rescue home complete with papers. At the end of the day its not possible just to get a cat for shows , you've got to want it as a pet as in to love it no matter what. Pure breed or mix they can be loved just as much either way.

Basically this is a very complex topic but my point is that people seem to jump on owners who have one litter and are willing to take care of the kittens and properly vet the owners. But think its ok to breed as many pure breeds from proper long term Breeders.
So basically if the pet owner is absolutely clear about what is expected of them, willing to take care of litter and understand the reponsability then they shouldnt be called irresponsible pet owners as it seems to me their being very responsible.
I just think people should be ganging up less on pet owners who want a litter and concentrate on the real issue, the people who dont take care of their pet and give it up.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If those cats weren't bred in the first place, there wouldn't be nearly as many without homes. I think the problem is that it is just too out of hand. There are just too many to justify breeding more. Too many people just letting random mixed breed cats be born for no reason. Kittens are born inbred, with health issues, with FeLV and FIV. If the population wasn't so bad then it would be totally different.

Does the OP even screen the cats for FIV/FeLV? Are they all vaccinated and thoroughly tested for genetic health problems? Is there an adoption contract and fee to not only ensure good homes, but also to make sure the animal is returned when it is no longer wanted, is spayed or neutered and is vetted when necessary? Does the OP even check for a vet reference to make sure the adoptive home actually has a concept of what is involved in owning a cat? If not then she is not being at all responsible. Mixed breeds or not.