Breeding indoor cat in Winter

Sean Channing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a (pedigree) Bengal female who I intend to breed. She is currently one year six months old - is an indoor cat only. All my cats are indoor but my home has a lot of windows and daylight coming in so that previous female cats heat cycles seem follow the normal March to September months for going in heat.

The question I have is for anyone who has bred an indoor female cat in winter, did you have a specific type of indoor light and leave the curtains closed constantly. Or was there any other factors that could encourage my female to go in heat before next year?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hello S Sean Channing and welcome to the site.
No one who can help you has seen your post, or it could be concern about breeding. Are you a registered breeder?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sean Channing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I am. I’ve had advice from other sources since which I’ll put into practice. Thanks for reaching out though.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have a (pedigree) Bengal female who I intend to breed. She is currently one year six months old - is an indoor cat only. All my cats are indoor but my home has a lot of windows and daylight coming in so that previous female cats heat cycles seem follow the normal March to September months for going in heat.

The question I have is for anyone who has bred an indoor female cat in winter, did you have a specific type of indoor light and leave the curtains closed constantly. Or was there any other factors that could encourage my female to go in heat before next year?
We had 3 working studs (Russian Blue) as our residents (the fourth was never used as stud). I never though there were such seasons for indoor only, but its true, thinking on when the visiting ladies did come, I dont remember they come when it was snow... Perhaps once, but not more.

You can always test with giving extra vitamine E and other nourishing food; Also plenty of good light, preferably od the daytype colors.

And also, smells from an adult stud or tom. You can perhaps get used socks from an owner to a stud or tom... Or some used sand with pee. The male doesnt need to be from the same breed, may even be a moggie; the only is you are sure he is healthy. You dont need to get any bad viruses nor bacteria or parasites.
Of course, it may be good its smells from the stud you will use.

Another option is you let the lady live in the studs home a while. If its a friendly fellow, there sholdnt be no problems with this. While other, more aggressive studs, should be supervised.... Our boys were always friendly with their visiting ladies... But not all studs are that friendly nor knowleable.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. Wife reminded me at least one of visiting ladies was in winter. There werent nothing done, but because of different causes. (The usual is they leave the dame, and the couple does theirs in their own tempo. This breeder wanted to stay; if it was because she didnt afforded a hotell, or because she wanted to protect the dame and held her company, I wont speculate.... But our young boy got afraid of her, and took refuge in the bathroom... )

But it was still an example this experienced breeder wished a mating in the middle of winter...

platty

Hobbyist Bengal Cat Breeder
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has come into heat last week oddly enough. She is an indoor one with access to an outdoor catio space I think it is just hit and miss to be fair.