Breeders and declawing

josh4683

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it common practice for a breeder to include a "no-declawing allowed" clause in her contract, and then advise the buyer, verbally of course, that they can choose to ignore that "no-declawing" clause and have the Ragdoll kitten declawed if they wish to ? The breeder also advised "all my cats are de-clawed except one".

Exactly what is the purpose of this ?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would run away from that breeder so fast that his/her head would go out on a spin. That is not a reputable breeder.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO that is not a breeder I would buy from! Yes in my own contracts and in contracts where I bought any of my cats- there was a "no declawing" part.

To put it in your contract and then state your own cats are declawed, tells me the breeder is a hypocrite!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems to me it's PC to state you are against declawing, so they have even if they don't truly believe it.
I'm not sure why they would out themselves and tell you it was okay, doesn't make sense to me.

So glad it's illegal here and I don't have to worry about my kittens loosing their claws.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Maine Coon's breeder had a no declawing clause in their contract. It was also listed in the "care and information" packet they gave to everyone that reserved a kitten.

This is the section from the care packet:

"Your Maine Coon should never, ever be declawed. If you were planning to declaw your Maine Coon, let us know now, before pick-up or ship date and we will cancel your reservation and gladly refund your deposit.

Bottom line: Save a paw, do not declaw!

Seriously, if declawing was in your plans, we cannot and will not provide a kitten for you."

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by josh4683

Is it common practice for a breeder to include a "no-declawing allowed" clause in her contract, and then advise the buyer, verbally of course, that they can choose to ignore that "no-declawing" clause and have the Ragdoll kitten declawed if they wish to ? The breeder also advised "all my cats are de-clawed except one".

Exactly what is the purpose of this ?
Declawing is illegal in my country too so I don't even mention it when people buy kittens from me. If it was legal then I would add it in.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very common for breeders to have a "no de-claw" clause in the contract. But this is usually because.....they don't want you to de-claw the cat! Not so they can just tell you to ignore the contract. This breeder is making no sense whatsoever.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's sounds stupid to have a clause in the contract and then tell the buyer that the clause not only can but SHOULD be ignored.

I would run away as fast as I could from such a breeder. A breeder should be a great animal lover and being pro-declaw is in my world not comtatible with the term animal lover. I'm glad it's illegal here so I don't have to worry about that part when I sell kittens.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They probably downloaded the contract from somewhere and just added in their name etc and do not believe in all of its terms.

If they dont mind declawing they shouldnt mention it in the contract or in person and leave it up to the person but a breeder who is a hypocrite against their own contract is probably not following guidelines somewhere else too so I would buy elsewhere

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A no declaw clause in a contract is only as good as the client's honesty. If someone wants to declaw, the contract won't stop them. Once they have the cat alot of what they do with it is out of the breeders control.

We have always had a no declaw clause in our contracts, along with a statement that breach of the clause would null and void the health guarantee.

That was the only deterrent that I could think of that would make a person hell bent on declawing, think twice about it.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why would a breeder want to declaw anyway? Please read about what happens during the surgery. And read why cats need their claws, how important those claws are to them, and about how to you can train them not to use them in a bad way. And declawed cats aren't allowed to be shown.
I have an adult Sphynx that I chose not to declaw. She has never destroyed anything of ours and plays with the dogs and never hurts them.
I would never buy from that breeder based on them declawing all of their cats except one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

josh4683

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I have no intention of declawing my kitten, ever, regardless of what this breeder has to say.

I might end up anemic, but he'll keep his claws intact.

I appreciate all your responses...thanks so much.

ruby35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I adopted my Micky from the Humane Society 14 years ago, not only was it in the contract but they also specifically instructed me that I was agreeing, in writing, to never ever declaw him. I was like sure, no problem. I've had cats my whole life and we never declawed them. My parents, especially my dad who is most verbal about it, are very anti-declaw and so I never thought it was normal to declaw.

Although I wouldn't hesitate to adopt a cat that was already declawed if I saw one that I really liked at the shelter. I just wouldn't do it myself because I think it's barbaric and wrong that it should even be offered by any reputable vet.