Breeder unwilling to provide registration papers

Catmommakittybaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw this kitten advertised as registered pedigree, non championship bloody, pet only. So I purchased the kitten, and arranged transport. I asked for the registration papers and am told now it will be another $1000 for those papers! The health certificate and vaccine is not legible. This breeder now claims she listed this one for her breeder friend who responded once Today when I mentioned provide registration papers and proof of breed,the response was sorry you’re not satisfied we don’t give refunds if you don’t want kitten rehome. I believe I may have been scammed! I do intend to contact lawyer asap. Any advice? I asked to provide proof or give refund and make arrangements to get kitten as I believe fair. Now they ghosted me! How often does this happen? One does not buy a poodle only to find out it is a bulldog! I don’t know what to do I am shocked! What should I do? Does this even look like a Turkish Angora kitten? What breed does it look like? I was told Turkish Angora now I have mystery kitten. Oh she even charged me more than advertised fee! I felt I had no choice after deposit. This whole thing fishy!
IMG_7331.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know nothing about this stuff. But I have to agree you were scammed, and that is pretty much it. Go ahead and consult with a lawyer, but I am not sure where that will end. I hope you can love this cat - without papers and any breed verification.

Please do get her checked out by vet you trust so that you know her overall health, since you cannot rely on what you have.

Sometimes a cat seems to 'fall onto our laps' for no obvious reason. Despite what you have spent, maybe this is what has happened to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmommakittybaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
People get embarrassed when this stuff happens. I am sure I am not the only one this happened to. I will see if laws were broken and consider pressing charges.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm always suspicious when I see "discounted" on a website like that. I'm sorry this happened to you. Your kitten doesn't need registration papers to be a fabulous companion.
I'm not sure if a lawyer will be able to do anything, but there's no harm in contacting them. There are many scammers like this online, and in many cases money is sent, and that is when the so called breeder ceases contact completely. They take the deposit, or full purchase price, and run. Their kittens and puppies they are "advertising" are usually photos stolen from other websites. So as irritating as this situation is, remember, you do have a sweet little kitten who is probably thrilled to be with someone who will love them "as is" vs. the jerk who told you to "just rehome" if you're not happy. No breeder ANYWHERE who has anything good to offer their kittens would say such a thing.
Just so you know, I have Papillon dogs. I have always had Papillon dogs, and exactly 14 years ago today I got on petfinder to kill some time, and came across a litter of Papillon puppies. One week later, I brought a rescued Papillon puppy home. I have loved all of my animals deeply. But there was something about him. We just "clicked" from day one. He had no papers. I had no proof he was purebred. I suspected he was a mix. He looked like a Papillon and acted like one, but he was big, and tall, and very leggy. Years later, I did a breed DNA test on him out of curiosity. Results came back that my Tag was purebred. He just was not "well bred." It didn't matter. He was my best friend. I hope your kitten, purebred or not, will be your new best friend as well. :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, like others said you are being scammed.

That website, Go Kitty, is known for selling kitten mill kittens. Your cat most likely is not the specified breed or if it is, the parents were not registered either. A lawyer will not help. You'll spend way more money and get back nothing.

Registration papers cost like, $10 for the breeder to register the litter. When you get the cat you get proof of registration and then you will purchase the final pedigree from whatever organization the litter was registered with. I think with CFA it was about $75ish for a 6 generation pedigree (maybe less, I forget, it's been a while).

All you can now do is love your kitten, get her fully vetted to ensure she's healthy including having her spayed. And take this as a lesson learned to do your due research to make sure a breeder is legitimate.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw this kitten advertised as registered pedigree, non championship bloody, pet only. So I purchased the kitten, and arranged transport. I asked for the registration papers and am told now it will be another $1000 for those papers! The health certificate and vaccine is not legible. This breeder now claims she listed this one for her breeder friend who responded once Today when I mentioned provide registration papers and proof of breed,the response was sorry you’re not satisfied we don’t give refunds if you don’t want kitten rehome. I believe I may have been scammed! I do intend to contact lawyer asap. Any advice? I asked to provide proof or give refund and make arrangements to get kitten as I believe fair. Now they ghosted me! How often does this happen? One does not buy a poodle only to find out it is a bulldog! I don’t know what to do I am shocked! What should I do? Does this even look like a Turkish Angora kitten? What breed does it look like? I was told Turkish Angora now I have mystery kitten. Oh she even charged me more than advertised fee! I felt I had no choice after deposit. This whole thing fishy!
Did you have to sign a Contract to purchase this Kitten ? Some breeders are really picky with regard to contracts. When I purchased my boys, I elected not to sign a contract with the breeder. In signing the contract I would have obligated myself to return the cats if unable to care for them. By breaking the signed contract I could be sued in Court. Since I'm not showing either of the boys, not signing the contract wasn't a big deal. Both of my boys came with a detailed medical history from the breeder. Both arrived to me already neutered. Miles the Black/White was 10 months old when I received him. Since he was a older kitten , I paid half price. Jackpot, Red/White, was just 3 months old. I paid Full Price. Airfare was additional to the purchase price.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Mom was looking for a small breed puppy and found a website advertising Chihuahuas. There were so many red flags.
-Purebred Chihuahua puppies. Purchase price for a puppy AND ground transportation was $500. WAY too cheap.
-Claimed the sire and dam were health tested, and cited OFA hips and elbows, when Chihuahua's do not get those health tests. No mention of eyes, patellas, or hearts on OFA which is what that breed should be tested for.
-When asked for the parents registered names (as to verify those health testing claims on OFA), they said they would not give that information for privacy reasons. (Red flag became a neon sign reading "SCAM").
-Seller claimed to live in Alabama, and went on and on about how her husband was a pastor at such and such a church and these dogs were his babies and all this stuff. Turns out, that church did not exist.
-Despite being told she lived in Alabama, the sellers phone number was a number from New Jersey.

That particular puppy was on that website for weeks, same age for several weeks, with the name changed several times. I am 110% sure that was a scam, and the unfortunate people who fell for it probably were out a lot of money with no puppy. It stinks that people do this kind of thing to well meaning people who just want to have a nice pet.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Did you have to sign a Contract to purchase this Kitten ? Some breeders are really picky with regard to contracts. When I purchased my boys, I elected not to sign a contract with the breeder. In signing the contract I would have obligated myself to return the cats if unable to care for them. By breaking the signed contract I could be sued in Court. Since I'm not showing either of the boys, not signing the contract wasn't a big deal. Both of my boys came with a detailed medical history from the breeder. Both arrived to me already neutered. Miles the Black/White was 10 months old when I received him. Since he was a older kitten , I paid half price. Jackpot, Red/White, was just 3 months old. I paid Full Price. Airfare was additional to the purchase price.
I'm surprised the breeder let you have the kittens without signing a contract.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This. There's no way Luna's breeder would have let us take her home without signing her contract. In fact, I'd be thrilled if someone reached out to her first for assistance in rehoming if for some reason we weren't able to care for her anymore.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The breeder had their fee. What I didn't receive was the paperwork so that I could register my boys with TICA,CFA or ACFA.

kireiKats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unless you intend to breed this kitten, I don't see why you are upset that you don't have papers if you didn't pay the price for a breeadable purebred. When you go to the vet, they are not going to ask you for papers to prove that your cat is Turkish Angora if looks very similar to the real deal. GoKitty is primarily a website for buying moggies that very closely resemble their purebred ancestry. In my case, I think Maine Coons are monstrously huge and have ugly grampa faces but I like the shape of their ears, ear tufts, and fluffiness at the neck so I specifically set out and found a 1/4 MC that has the specific attributes I want.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Op was actaly refused by the seller. This is usualy a total red flag for mill breeders often the animals can be inbred . And the way animals are treated is terrable. I'm not going any further to explain how awfull pet mills are, google it if you want but its very grusome trigger warrning.

Unless you intend to breed this kitten, I don't see why you are upset that you don't have papers if you didn't pay the price for a breeadable purebred. When you go to the vet, they are not going to ask you for papers to prove that your cat is Turkish Angora if looks very similar to the real deal. GoKitty is primarily a website for buying moggies that very closely resemble their purebred ancestry. In my case, I think Maine Coons are monstrously huge and have ugly grampa faces but I like the shape of their ears, ear tufts, and fluffiness at the neck so I specifically set out and found a 1/4 MC that has the specific attributes I want.

Stella1973

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The big deal is she spent over $1K on a cat that is most likely a domestic/moggie. Has nothing to do with breeding it or not. Besides you have to purchase breeding rights in order to breed any pedigree cat so thankfully she wasn’t out even more money. Domestics/moggies do not have any purebred history at all. They are landrace cats. Cat breeds are at most 200 years old with most being between 50-75 years. “Look alikes” are look alikes because cat breeds came FROM selectively breeding domestic/moggies not the other way around. Cats aren’t dogs they aren’t mixes of breeds. They are either purebred(pedigreed) or domestic/moggie which are breedless. The thinking that cats are mixes and are 1/4 this, 1/4 that, and that a look alike is the real deal is what makes scamming and taking advantage of people so incredibly easy. The registration and pedigree is the absolute only way to know that you are in fact getting what you are paying for. I can tell you that if I didn’t get my breeder slip for my Siberians which were $2600 each it would be a VERY big deal to me and I’m sure it’s a very big deal to the OP.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My aunt was well known in my state for breeding Persians. Her kittens came with all sorts of health and return guarantees. The parents of all her kittens were generally onsite for buyers to view. I was gifted one as a child and did get the paperwork to register her.

I know you have spent a lot of money and feel betrayed because you were likely scammed. It's not your fault. The Maine Coons advertised don't look much like the breed, IMHO. You can retain legal assistance, but it may cost you more than you initially paid for her. I would definitely contact someone in authority to report this (I don't know who), but I think the question now is how attached you are to the kitten? It is horrible that they scammed you, but they aren't likely to take her back since they are now ghosting.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Mod note:

Please note
the guidelines for the Showing and Ethical Breeding forum, specifically:

However, if you take a strong exception to breeders or the practice of breeding, then this forum is not for you. Anti-breeding sentiments will not be tolerated in this forum.

We've deleted an inappropriate post and ask that members adhere to these guidelines.

sventicles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just so you know, I have a lengthy history on all ends with those contracts, and they are not worth the paper they're printed on, in terms of being enforceable.