Breeder deemed me "unfit" for a kitten :(

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Breeder lady is delusional. I can tell by your post that you're going to be an excellent kitty-parent! Whoever you choose to adopt from the shelter is going to be a lucky, lucky kitty!
I agree with this 100%. We are looking forward to seeing pictures of him or her once they get home and settled. 

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I too recently had a problem like this.

When I was prescribed a service animal, I wanted a dog, because the laws for service animals as changed recently to exclude cats (it upsets me so much). As par the ADA laws changing in 2011, only dogs and small horses are considered service animals and cats can only be considered emotional support animals. Thankfully, service cats got grandfathered in since they were service animals before 2011, but now that I have Tybalt, who more than qualifies as a service animal, I don not understand why they were excluded at all. A service animal, by ADA laws, is an animal that fulfills at least two services to their disabled companion- as of 2011, it's only dogs and small horses, not animals. Tybalt is both a medical alert and medical assistant cat, among other services he fulfills.

Anyways... The problem I had, before I took Tybalt home from my mother's, was with a dog rescue that falsely used ASPCA in their name, even though they had no affiliation with the organization. I was trying for months to get a dog from them, and was more than happy to take in a dog that had mental disorders. I'm a tedious person, so I was even willing to take in an unhousebroken dog. They strung me along for so long, and I even contacted a dog trainer willing to give service dog public access tests as many times as needed and even to help me service train. I sent them photos of my apartment as par their request, inside and out, got rid of furniture in case the dog I paired with needed a kennel. I did so much work... I kept telling them I wanted to meet the dogs. I wasn't going to adopt a dog from a photo and a description and expect the poor creature to just accept their fate with me. What if they didn't like me? What if their personality clashed with mine? While I was willing to love any dog, not every dog, especially adult rescues, would be willing to love any human. They acted like because I wanted to meet the dogs I was some kind of weirdo. Like I should just except a lifelong companion from a photo like meeting a blind date with the intent to marry them... They all have me the runaround and even straight out avoided me and my emails went in answered. Here I was aching to get a service animal and they were causing me mental and emotional distress, worsening my symptoms. I wish they would have outright stated they didn't like me like the breeder did with you.

I can't imagine how many poor dogs they had that went unhomed because they were such jerks to people like the way they were to me.

To me, just like with my situation, it sounds like that breeder had an ulterior motive. The rescue was a very in group and all the people working with them were friends or family. On top of that, the false advertisement of using ASPCA in their name worries me...