Breed of Kitten?

samanthalynn770

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All! I was contacted by a family friend that had stumbled upon a kitten in a parking lot. The kitten (a girl) was tame, but scared. I offered to foster her, and get her shots/spay completed before attempting to re-home her, but now I'm starting to fall in love (my poor husband, this is the 2nd time this has happened!)

Anyways, she goes to the vet Monday, but her features are just beautiful, and I'm wondering if you can't help me figure out what type of kitten breed she might be? She looks to have some point in her, but her head and face look "smushed" in a way. Thoughts?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Goodness... :thud:.... what a darling little baby and to be lost, alone in a parking lot! So glad that your family friend rescued this beautiful kitten. :love:

To me, this kitten looks like a Snowshoe Lilac point/Siamese kitten. This kitten is just gorgeous and best of luck at the vet on Monday. I hope your hubby will soon fall for this kitten too!!! :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samanthalynn770

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Feralvr Thank you! I was thinking some Siamese as well, her eyes are just stunning. My daughter has decided to call her Elsa, so we have a name! Good litterbox habits, as well. She's a keeper

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hi All! I was contacted by a family friend that had stumbled upon a kitten in a parking lot. The kitten (a girl) was tame, but scared. I offered to foster her, and get her shots/spay completed before attempting to re-home her, but now I'm starting to fall in love (my poor husband, this is the 2nd time this has happened!)

Anyways, she goes to the vet Monday, but her features are just beautiful, and I'm wondering if you can't help me figure out what type of kitten breed she might be? She looks to have some point in her, but her head and face look "smushed" in a way. Thoughts?
Yeah, just to agree.  She has the pattern alike a Snowshoe, with the colors as Feralv told - I rely on her here. 

With that smushed face she has probably an Persian or Exotic ancestry not far ago.   Possibly a british shorthair, but Persians are much more common (unless you are in Britain, where its more even).

But whom exactly her ancestors are, we cant know, save one of them was a Persian, and one parent, probably the mom,  carried the white and liliac colors..

The point gene is a nice twist of practical genetics.  The gene as such is weak, recessive, and can be carried  in many generation, without becoming visible.

BUT.  Doubled up, one from mom and one from dad, it becomes suddenly very strong and manifest.   The kitten in question becomes a point, while the littermates looks alike parents   The exact point colors comes although from the colors the parents carry.   Black cats give a seal point, a red cat give often a Flame point, a blue cat give a blue point, etc...

Such happens now and then in the russian blue breed, because they used some blue point siamese studs 70 years ago.   And there still pops up pointed kittens among blue RB kittens, although  breeders avoid to use known point gene carriers...   That is a drastical example.   So pointed kittens are of course more common among domestics...   And also in other breeds, where its not so touchy if they are pointed.

Pointed persians are called for Himalaya, btw.

Exotic is essentielly a shorthaired persian.

And Snowshoe were constructed on the base of siameses of old type.

I see both  Elsa and your familj won the highest win in the big lottery of Life.   Congrats!

samanthalynn770

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! @StefanZ thank you for your input. That is definitely interesting and I'll be looking into the types you mentioned.

We did post online just in case anyone was missing her, as she has taken to my family very well and must have been a pet at some point?

Not sure how long she's been out in the wild, as her fur has that wiry feel of malnutrition. I've started her on a mix of KMR and high-quality kitten chow, so I'm hoping to see improvements soon.

If there are no claims to her, we are keeping her. Her appointment for her all-in-one shots in Monday. She's the sweetest cat, so lovable. Thank you for your help!

^ How I found her this morning, snuggled with my daughter

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear you'll keep her if there are no claims to her, what a cute little kitten!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We did post online just in case anyone was missing her, as she has taken to my family very well and must have been a pet at some point?
Not sure how long she's been out in the wild, as her fur has that wiry feel of malnutrition. I've started her on a mix of KMR and high-quality kitten chow, so I'm hoping to see improvements soon.
If there are no claims to her, we are keeping her. Her appointment for her all-in-one shots in Monday. She's the sweetest cat, so lovable. Thank you for your help!

^ How I found her this morning, snuggled with my daughter
Elsa.... :heart2: what a beautiful and excellent choice of name for this little kitten. I adore her just from her pictures. How precious Elsa and your daughter snuggling. Very kind of you to post online if anyone is looking for her. Just be careful about someone maybe being dishonest in losing her and only wanting this kitten from her picture as she is a beautiful kitten. She is so very, very sweet and I hope that this all works out for your family AND good luck at the vet. Do keep us posted!!! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

samanthalynn770

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Feralvr thank you! I think her name fits her perfectly

As for my husband, I just spoke with him on the phone, and he kept mentioning her, so things are going good in that department. She's so sweet, it's hard to not fall in love immediately; I know I did!

I was thinking along with you, in terms of someone claiming her because of how pretty she is, so my posting was a general "Found Kitten" ad, asking for a description, no picture provided. In this crazy world, I know you can never be too careful.

I will definitely update after our appointment on Monday. I'm heading to the pet shop after work; surely something so pretty needs a new bed and toy! Especially after all she's been through. She certainly doesn't look like a parking lot kitten any longer

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As for my husband, I just spoke with him on the phone, and he kept mentioning her, so things are going good in that department. She's so sweet, it's hard to not fall in love immediately; I know I did!
I was thinking along with you, in terms of someone claiming her because of how pretty she is, so my posting was a general "Found Kitten" ad, asking for a description, no picture provided. In this crazy world, I know you can never be too careful.

I will definitely update after our appointment on Monday. I'm heading to the pet shop after work; surely something so pretty needs a new bed and toy! Especially after all she's been through. She certainly doesn't look like a parking lot kitten any longer :heart2:
GOOD for you writing out the lost kitten post that way. :clap::clap: I have a feeling that Elsa will be yours forever, though. :cross: And, have to :lol3:, your hubby sounds like he is melting down little by little over Elsa. She certainly won my heart over by just her story and her picture. I can't imagine how she ventured out into a parking lot all alone, abandoned and lost. She is quite a cute little gem. :heart2: