Breasts Are Fluid Filled In Spayed Cat

4horses

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took Isabelle to the vet for presumed breast cancer. At first we were going to go straight for x rays, bloodwork, and surgery... But i had some additional questions. The vet came back in and i mentioned how it felt like she had fluid in her breasts as the one swelling was soft/moveable like fluid.

The vet suggested we aspirate - both lumps were full of yellow clear fluid. The vet wants a different vet to look at it under the microscope as he wasn't sure if this was cancerous or not.

She does have tiny hard pea sized lumps but those aren't lymph nodes and they aren't breast cancer, as they are in the wrong location for that... He said we may only need to remove the pea lumps. Or not.

So i still don't know if this is cancer or not. Has anyone seen something similar?

The vet said he didn't see any bacteria in the aspirate. Just a tiny amount of blood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4horses

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a university near here but they are far too expensive. I've gone to them before. This vet has an excellent reputation while being very understanding of financial costs. Since a second vet will look at the aspirate, I'm just waiting to hear back now. All said, if we have to do surgery, the upper quote was $1200, lower quote $500-$700.

My first thought was that fluid is a good sign, but apparently some cancers can have fluid cysts as well. I've been reading about human breast cancer. Most cysts in people are benign. I'm hoping that applies to cats. Fingers crossed.