Brave Cat Who's Tail "Poofs" All The Time.

vincentthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off, Vincent is a very brave cat. The only time he's ever seems scared is when we pretends to be scared when we play "tag" (boyfriend and I chase him and then he chases us around the house). The only time he actually showed fear was fireworks on the Fourth of July.

Everything else, nerves of steel. He overcame his fear of the vacuum by himself and he even goes belly up around things that would usually frighten cats (i.e. rustling of big noisy bags, clanging pans, loud music, barking dogs, strangers, etc)

Now despite all that, I notice his tail poofs up for really silly reasons. My last cat only poofed her fur up if she encountered another cat or a dog and would also growl and turn her ears back,- the typical defensive pose. However, Vincent will poof up just by rolling a ball or patting some food across the floor. Is this because he is imagining the thrill of defense because he's bored with his bravery? haha. Sometimes my boyfriend just looks at him with wide eyes and he'll poof up but never growl or put his ears back. Even just now, he was sitting by his food bowl patiently so I poured some food and his tail poofed up bigger than I've ever seen! It was so weird!

Is he just trying to act manly or is he actually a little baby who's afraid hehehe

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I use to know two Siamese cats (brother and sister) who's tails use to puff up if excited or over stimulated though being fussed.
They were both love bugs, you only had to walk into the room and talk to them. Their tails would just puff up,while they purred their heads off and rubbed around your legs.

Oh they would also sometimes quiver their tails at the same time in excitement :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vincentthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
GemsGem, this made me smile! 
 They sound so cute! I love Siamese cats and poofy tails hehehe <3

manemelissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My brother's cat who has since passed away used to always get a poofy tail when we'd toss a treat for her to "catch". The only other time it would get poofy was when another cat was nearby and she wasn't thrilled. Lol, your cat sounds like he's a thrill-seeker, not scared of anything and excited at a challenge!