brand/type of cat litter?

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have been rearranging stuff around the house, and I have plans to move the litterbox to the bathroom. Its always been in the "extra" room.. but we need to clear that room out because my bf's brother is moving in for a while.

Problem is the bathroom is kinda small.. so tracking litter is going to be the biggest downfall. Not fun to walk in kitty litter when you step out of the tub!

Is there a type or brand of litter that doesnt track so easily?
prefer something "scoopable"
bonus would be something that is also flushable- septic tank safe, but I doubt there is such a thing.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you move the box or do any environment changing, wait until things have settled down before you change litters, or you may end up with "out of the box" moments.

I have a litterbox in my bathroom. It's also smaller, so I put it in a cabinet. I left one door closed on the cabinet for some privacy & the other is open leaving enough room for my chubby kitty to get in there. I put a bathroom mat outside the cabinet to catch tracking & so far I haven't had many problems. I'm using Precious Cat Ultra Litter.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
clumping litter and flushable don't mix. I assume you meant clumping when you said scoopable? Litter clumps when a cat pees in it, so it's going to all clump using the water in your pipes and clog them up something fierce.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could get an enclosed cat box...perhaps? I've heard of mats that go by the litter box so that litter doesn't get all over the floor. I don't know of any litters that would help. All of the ones that Wessie uses get on the floor!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I plan on setting up a box in the bathroom and leaving the current box where it is for now.. as the current box gets scooped out, we just simply wont add more clean litter to it. After a week or two, they should all have figured out that the new box is in the bathroom. None of them have ever had litter box issues (other than Bastet peeing on furniture once when she was in heat).

I didnt think there was a scoopable that was also flushable.. expecially since we have a septic sytem

non-tracking and scoopable is the most important features. Not really worried about odor control, we are in and out of the bathroom often anyways, so it can be scooped several times a day easily.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I should add again.. our bathroom is SMALL

I thought about putting the litter in the cabinet.. I couldnt actually leave a door open tho.. you'd be tripping over the door.. I'd have to cut a hole in the side of the cabinet to make a personal door for the cats..

a mat.. you'd be stepping on it anyways... so, kinda defeats the purpose

the box I plan on using is a hooded litter box. I think part of the tracking issue is that my boyfriend literally FILLS the box with litter.. so they have enough to dig to china with.. they throw a lot of litter out of the box as they do their buisiness. Need to give him the idea that they dont need that much litter.. just enough to dig and bury with... not enough to build a sand castle with.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol litter will be sitting by the toilet anyways, maybe next step should be to just toilet train the kitties
that would solve the issue of tracking, scooping and flushing LOL

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
why not remove the door? it should only be a couple of screws, and you can put the door in the back of a closet or something until you have to move. that woul;d save you cutting a hole in the cabinet

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

clumping litter and flushable don't mix. I assume you meant clumping when you said scoopable? Litter clumps when a cat pees in it, so it's going to all clump using the water in your pipes and clog them up something fierce.
There are in fact Natural litters that "claim" to be flush able and in fact are scoop-able/ clumping

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

There are in fact Natural litters that "claim" to be flush able and in fact are scoop-able/ clumping
Those litters have to be misleading, at least a bit, about one of those two claims. Unless the litter both clumps and flushes only so-so. Clumping and flushing seem to be counterintuitive to me, since moisture is the catalyst for clumping. I know when my kitten spilled water by the litterbox, the sludge that formed would have easily clogged any drain.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

Those litters have to be misleading, at least a bit, about one of those two claims. Unless the litter both clumps and flushes only so-so. Clumping and flushing seem to be counter intuitive to me, since moisture is the catalyst for clumping. I know when my kitten spilled water by the litterbox, the sludge that formed would have easily clogged any drain.
Most clump very well but have a open wall cell structure thus in theory( note "" s on claim
... ) they will break down .. having read the directions it was a long and slightly humorous process but many who use the litters do indeed flush them.,.. To date I have only seen on Clay litter claim it , I shake my head on that one totally..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything fine enough to clump will track, and depending on the cat- even larger non clumping litter/litter alternatives can be tracked, too. I have a couple that jump out the boxes and spread seeds everywhere.

I wouldn't flush any litter into a septic tank.

Really the best thing to help with litter tracking is to get a good mat or put a cardboard scratcher in front of the box. Sweep up regularly.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have five litterboxes; three of them are in the bathroom. We have a mat between two of the boxes that face each other. But the litter still tracks onto the floor.

I've gotten to the point where I sweep the bathroom floor two or three times a day. And always right before I take a shower. We have a bathroom rug on the floor in front of the shower, but I take it up and shake it out well.

We have an on-lot sewer and I wouldn't flush any type of litter.

I just hate stepping on litter.