Purraise
if you ask there guys they'd say store brands

but if you ask this girl she'd say name brands

so the moral of the story is it depends on what you'll be using the product for

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kroger's coffee is good. I alternate between the Colombian and French Dark Roast.

Here, Kroger's milk, sour cream and cottage cheese all come from the local Shamrock Farms. I might as well save a bit. Kroger's potato chips are identical to Lay's (probably made by Frito-Lay) and I like their tortilla chips, too.

I have a few brands of Mexican hot sauce that I alternate: Tapatio, Cholula and Poblano's Salsa Brava. Can't beat Tabasco Green, though.

As for sodas, its Coke or Pepsi, for me - whichever is on sale.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Thats funny, I was just thinking abuot that today. I tried all the coffee brands in the store, including the expensive brands and I didn't like any of them, so I bit my tongue and bought the generic brand, Pam's and I loved their coffee the best! And to top it off, its so cheap!

For Baked Beans and Tomato Sauce (Ketchup!), I MUST have Watties. They make the best, ever. I know Sam will attest to the tomato sauce. You can't go wrong with Watties!!!!!
Oh yeah you can't go wrong with Watties! We ran out of Tomato sauce today!

So by generic brands do you mean Signature Range for Countdown etc - cos it's not like we have a Countdown Coffee as such.

We buy whatever's the best.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sam - yeah generic as in Countdown's signature range LOL. its just the cheap stuff.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cant believe you have aldi over there!
are the lables also written in german???

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Sam - yeah generic as in Countdown's signature range LOL. its just the cheap stuff.
Oh dumb - well it's not a heck of a lot different in price and doesn't taste much different either. LOL!

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For those of you that shop at Walmart... try sams choice 49% chocolate chip cookies.... They are crisp, have a LOT of chocolate chips, and have a strong buttery flavor. The best to dip in milk. yum!

boys mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lidles and aldis both do dome good food stuffs,their fruit n veg are nice,but i wont buy their meat,steak so tough u can do u shoes with it.but i buy their biccys n other dry stuffs.
im getting out of cooking for the family this year,hopefully going away

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy oatmeal, rice, bulgur, farina, most nuts, and most flours from the bulk bins at the whole foods, but I must buy barilla pasta! I only use clabber girl baking powder, Arm & hammer baking soda, and Pomi Tomato paste. Only eat Yoplait Yogurt Cups, Dannon Fat Free Plain Yogurt, and Jello Sugar Free Pudding. If I'm not making it myself I only buy Kozy Shack Rice Pudding. Land O Lakes Butter is a must, and Always Daisy (light) Sour Cream!

The Kits always get name brand everything, lol!

Other than all that, I vacsillate, but still stay within 2-3 brands that I know (For example, I prefer Edy's Slow Churned or Blue Bunny Sugar Free for Ice Cream, And will not buy cheap vanilla ice cream, it must have the bean speckles and be winter white, not yellow! However, my very favorite vanilla isn't being made anymore, and that's Prestige, lol, the Winn-Dixie Brand)

Oh oh! And mt iced tea mix MUST be Nestea, lol it's the only one that isn't lemon.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

I buy a lot of store brands, but for macaroni and cheese I HAVE to have Stoeffer's Frozen. I also LOVE MichaelAngelo's (not to be confused with Michelina's) frozen Italian food. I have tricked people with their vegetable lasagna. They use all natural ingredients. I passed it off as homemade (and told the truth later). I then called the company and told them and they sent me a bunch of coupons - some of them for FREE products!
If this is from the Canadian Michael Angelo's you are so right. Everything they have is awesome. I used to shop at one of their stores that was called SunKist before it was changed to Michael Angelo's.

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I cant believe you have aldi over there!
are the lables also written in german???
Yep we have Adli's which are awesome. But no the labels are in English. I buy a lot of my canned vegies from there and some of their frozen food. They make the best chicken nuggets ever.

I use store brands for most of my food needs. The only thing I won't comprise on are: Diet Coke, Heinz Ketchup, and Fig Newtons.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by turtlecat

If I'm not making it myself I only buy Kozy Shack Rice Pudding
Me, three. I can't believe how gooooooooood that stuff is! I have it in the fridge most of the time, because it's an easy and wholesome sweet for weeknight suppers.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will only use Campbells cream soups. Nothing else compares. I will buy Kroger and Meijer brand items a lot though. I do prefer Deans milk, but I will only buy Daisy sour cream and Tropicana OJ. I prefer Green Giant veggies and only buy Kleenex and Ultra Quilted Northern tissue. Meijer has really good bread- especially the Italian style sliced bread. Sam's Choice stuff is terrible and we never shop at Walmart, but Aldies does have decent stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must admit the Aldi store is kind of odd vs a "regular: grocery store. They
grandessa kettle potato chips are good!! For soda we have a brand called "jolly good" and have been drinking it for YEARS!! Like their cherry cola, orange. grape, root beer is fair though!! Being in the dairy state I never buy land o lakes butter as its at least $1/lb more than the others. One can't really go wrong with and sour cream/cottage cheese/milk or CHEESE!!! ( where is Ryan when you need him!!)
I'll have to try the inexpensive cheese poufs though.....
I really wish we had a Whole Foods closer than two hrs away!!! Except their produce is really expensive but they have a really good deli/bakery/soups/wine....

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some stuff I"ll buy generic, some not. I will only eat Bush's baked beans, Kraft Mac and Cheese, Diet Coke or Pepsi, and Philly cream cheese. I recently tried generic gelatin and generic fat free cool whip and neither was very good, so back to Jello and Cool Whip I go. Definitely prefer Viva paper towels and wouldn't touch generic toilet paper or tissues. I stick to certain name brand cereal bars. I would never buy anything other than Kraft mayo (though mayo at restaurants usually doesn't taste funny to me.)

I mostly buy generic for veggies, most baking goods, and soups to cook with (to eat alone I'll buy name brand). I'm not picky about ketchup and mustard either.

I guess I do stick to name brands more than I realized!