boy or girl?? kittens about 7 weeks old

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's very lucky to get two girls. For some reason queens like to throw boys.

If the ratio was 1/2 the probability of getting two girls would be 1/4 or 25%.

However girls are born at a rate of only 46.5%. (reference: ) means the probability of this happy outcome was actually:

46.5/100 X 46.5/100 = 2,162.25/10,000 or about

21.6%

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brlesyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m having trouble sexing my kitten... thoughts?
Okay I have one more kitten from this litter! Can you guys help? We took the first two to the vet, said first one is a boy, second a girl. I could of sworn I had two girls and you guys seem to think so too. We rescued these kitties from the Philly streets so they were feral. My boyfriend and I took the first two, as seen above and his brother got this little one. What are your thoughts? Also, we have one long haired kitten out of this bunch (1st pic) and the other two are short haired. Is this common? Attached is boyfriend’s brother’s kitten... he/she can’t seem to sit still so I’m sorry for the blur. Any help will be appreciated!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brlesyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's very lucky to get two girls. For some reason queens like to throw boys.

If the ratio was 1/2 the probability of getting two girls would be 1/4 or 25%.

However girls are born at a rate of only 46.5%. (reference: ) means the probability of this happy outcome was actually:

46.5/100 X 46.5/100 = 2,162.25/10,000 or about

21.6%
Wow I never knew that... How crazy... I just posted another kitty from this litter and to me it looks like another girl? What do you think?

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow I never knew that... How crazy... I just posted another kitty from this litter and to me it looks like another girl? What do you think?
Well, I don't see balls (yet) but I see what appears to be a scrotum and the lower opening is more like a hole than a slit (which is what I look at first) so I say that one is a boy.

I'm actually not completely positive on that second one with the white underside either.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, we have one long haired kitten out of this bunch (1st pic) and the other two are short haired. Is this common?
Yes. The mother and father are probably longhair carriers or one may be longhair itself, as are the babies carriers in all likelihood. If you mated the two shorthair babies together (unless neither parent was actually longhair and one baby got 1/4 lucky and did not get the longhair gene at all) you would again get 3/4 shorthair and 1/4 would be longhair.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is common, I have a longhair who was the only longhair out of the litter of 6. This photo might help you since its hard to get good pics of them. Basically if the two holes are very spread apart its a boy, if its close together its a girl.

male-kitten-female-kitten.jpg