Boy cat peeing in my bed - even straight after using the litter tray

aclmmb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all! I have a problem with my boy kitten (more of a cat now) who has a fixation with peeing on my duvet. It's not about litter tray issues, as he doesn't pee anywhere else round the house and is perfectly happy using the tray, but even straight after using it if he gets into my room unsupervised (or even supervised - he did it last week while I was sitting right next to him!) he will have a pee on my feather duvet. It's beginning to become a pain; I wash it every time immediately but eg today the freshly washed one was immediately doused again when he snuck in as I was taking a delivery. 

It's always in the same place on the bed, but! It is in the same place no matter which way round the duvet is, or even if it's scrunched up and unmade yer, so it isn't the same spot on the duvet where the pee is, he orientates by the location on the bed. 

He is neutered, and his sister and mother would rather hold it in than dream of making a mess anywhere ever so he has good examples around him. He sleeps on the bed - just not on that part! - with me, and is such a happy cuddly boy I'm reluctant to banish him from the room. What can I do though? Would buying a new duvet make a difference? He seems to go more by the location than the duvet itself... argh. 

victoriak68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like a territorial issue. Did you buy the mattress used?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aclmmb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a territorial issue. Did you buy the mattress used?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
No, it was brand new when I moved in here, still in plastic.

I might have suspected that too, but he and his sister were born on the bed when I took their mother in, and there haven't been any other cats in my room since (before they were born the neighbour's tom used to come sleep with me, but he certainly never sprayed and the bedding has been washed a lot in the meantime) - so who would he be being territorial at? Me? I ended up hand feeding/raising them from day 1 as their mother needed surgery, so I don't think I seem like a threat...

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's likely he is claiming your bed as his property by marking it, and since you sleep there, he may be claiming you as well. If you want to test this, try putting something other than the duvet on the bed, like a quilt, and see if he pees on that. That will answer the question of whether he is claiming the bed itself or just the duvet. Keep being a detective and trying to figure out WHY he is doing this. As you said, it's one particular spot on the bed no matter which way the duvet is placed. If it turns out that he is peeing on the bed itself regardless of the cover on it, it might be wise to strip the whole bed and check out the mattress underneath, perhaps soak it with one of the enzymatic cleaners in that spot, and then after it has had a day or so to dry, FLIP and reverse (head to toe) the mattress before making up the bed, but keep track of where that spot moves to. Remake the bed with clean linens and see what happens. You will get to the bottom of this mystery eventually, or else the problem will go away. Let us know.