Boundaries - Peeping Tom (litterally)

Roguexx

Cat Mummy
Young Cat
Purraise
I love my cat, i really do but we have a little issue.
Alfies is a great cat, has no issues going to play with next doors moggy or snoozing in an empty room, but we have this little problem, its like he knows...he knows when i need to pee....and he follows me.
If i dont close the door properly, he will paw it open and sit there watching me, if i do close it, i can see his little paws trying o get under it.
I go for a shower, same thing, he just wants to sit and watch me.

I have tried giving him toys or treats before i go to the loo or the shower but its like he knows, he will forego everything to sit there and watch.

I have a 4 year old child too so if its not one its the other, will i ever get to pee in peace ever again?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats, and dogs, will look at those they feel safe with and trust when going to potty. It's a safety thing, they watch the other for signs of danger so they can stop and run should they need to. In turn, your cat is trying to be in your line of sight when you need him to alert you to potential danger. He likely is wanting to be your security cat and be for you in those moments he preceives as high risk.

Take it as a compliment that you matter enough to him that he doesn't want you to get hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roguexx

Cat Mummy
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats, and dogs, will look at those they feel safe with and trust when going to potty. It's a safety thing, they watch the other for signs of danger so they can stop and run should they need to. In turn, your cat is trying to be in your line of sight when you need him to alert you to potential danger. He likely is wanting to be your security cat and be for you in those moments he preceives as high risk.

Take it as a compliment that you matter enough to him that he doesn't want you to get hurt.
lol thanks, i wish he understood im in no danger of falling down the loo or drowing in the shower lol

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
lol thanks, i wish he understood im in no danger of falling down the loo or drowing in the shower lol
Someday he may. I know my girl learned I was safe in the shower when she literally tried to jump in to save me from the falling water, only to go headfirst into the glass door. That was the last time she watched me shower. Since then she just waits outside the door in the hallway.

Roguexx

Cat Mummy
Young Cat
Purraise
omg thats so funny, poor cat lol
if i look at home while his there he just meows at me as if to say yes im watching lol

Roguexx

Cat Mummy
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha, nope, if you have cats, you will never visit the bathroom alone again :D. At least kids grow out of it. . .
NOOOOOO lol i dont think i would mind so much but my downstairs loo is rather small, i almost trip on him trying to get out, same as my shower room lol

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is also a Bathroom Monitor. Whatever she's doing, she usually drops it to join me whenever I go into the bathroom for any reason. I actually made her a little perch by covering some shelves with a towel, and when I'm lucky, she uses that instead of sitting right on the sink... or in my lap.

It's a "courtesy" she extends to my visitors, too. They just shut the door and hope she doesn't manage to get it open (spoiler: she usually does).

Roguexx

Cat Mummy
Young Cat
Purraise
cats ay!
im kind of glad he only does it to me now, think my guests might get a tad annoyed lol

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh. My cats are afraid of being in the bathroom with the door shut. They are also afraid of the sound of the shower when I turn it on. I guess I'm lucky. :D

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think I even know how to be alone in a bathroom anymore. My kids still have questions that absolutely cannot wait so they are at the door. DH is just as bad. But then there is Noodles attacking the drawstrings on my pants. Or she just climbs in. If I ignore her she jumps on the tank behind me. Actually she meows at me when my kids are in the bathtub too. I always have to reassure her I'm just washing my kittens. ;):lol: Mooch usually has more manners about it.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband will kill me if he finds out I posted this but....One of our cats, when my husband does his business will pull at his boxers so they are around his ankles (if my husband didn't put them there to begin with) then climb in. He follows me into the bathroom to but I guess my undies aren't big enough for him to cuddle up in! LOL! :)

Roguexx

Cat Mummy
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband will kill me if he finds out I posted this but....One of our cats, when my husband does his business will pull at his boxers so they are around his ankles (if my husband didn't put them there to begin with) then climb in. He follows me into the bathroom to but I guess my undies aren't big enough for him to cuddle up in! LOL! :)

omg lmao that made my day, thats hillarious lol

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my kitties accompany me to the bathroom and usually jump in the tub to watch. When I shower, Mingo used to paw at the glass shower door the whole time I was in there. Mingo also likes to curl up in the sink while I sit on the toilet. You are, by no means, alone with this. They are companion animals, right?

Roguexx

Cat Mummy
Young Cat
Purraise
i guess ill just have to get him a perch for each bathroom....this is gonna cost a fortune lol

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is not adding much to the conversation, but I thought you all might like this story. And again it's at my husband's expense ;)
One time he needed to take a shower, and one of my cats (we were still only dating at the time), followed him into the bathroom. He was standing in front of the sink (naked), drying off, and all of a sudden he cried out in surprise and jumped back after feeling a "rapid fire" whack, whack, whack! on his you know what! My cat thought it was a tantalizing wiggly toy. lol! :) It was so funny, because all I heard was him cry out (I was in the living room), so I knocked on the door to see if he was ok, and that's when I heard him laughing and (playfully) scolding my cat.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 4 cats and there is no such thing as privacy for us in the bathroom. Casey likes to sleep on my bathmat but he does not care for getting wet. When I go to shower for work I have to tell him mommy is taking a shower. He then goes to sleep on the floor in my bedroom. He has to be in my lap if I use the bathroom right away when I get home from work. Sonny likes to sit in my bathroom sink when I use the master bathroom. Casey hops into the tub when I go into the bathroom to get ready for bed for his "tub lovings" time. He has to be petted in the bath tub before I go to bed. This ritual is also performed with my hubby when he is getting ready for bed. The master bathroom is mine and the guest bathroom in our hall is hubby's. Apollo follows daddy to the bathroom and sits on the tub watching him. He also sometimes climbs in hubby's underwear on the floor. Starbuck also sits on the tub or in daddy's underwear.

When Starbuck was a baby tried to sit on the toilet while hubby was peeing once. She slipped into the toilet and got peed on. Thankfully this only happened once. He had to give her a bath at 3:00am.

Our rainbow bridge kitty Claude was a shower cat. No one was allowed privacy when showering around him. He would jump up on the tub and sit there near the shower head. He wanted to drink the shower water drizzled off your hand. He would also stick his head under the shower head to drink water. This extended to our guests too. He would also follow you into the bathroom and try to demand you take a shower. If he had his way all the time everyone who visited the bathroom would have been required to take a shower. When my friend's cat sat while we were traveling they would take a shower for Claude. My hubby and I believe that he is now happily getting unlimited shower time in heaven along with at least one person designated to pet him dry afterwards. When we had guests that were taking a shower we would either hang out in our bedroom or stay down stairs in the living room to give them privacy so Claude would not miss a shower.