Bought 2nd hand cat tree: should I do anything with it ?

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I've just bought a second hand cat tree (£15 instead of the £100 plus it would have been new).

It's in great condition, just needs tightening up a bit. Looks nice and clean etc.

Just wondering if I should try to do something with it before bringing it into the house? ie disinfect it in some way etc. It's a mix of fabric and rope.

If so any recommendations as to what I could use that will dry quickly and be cat friendly?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I bought a second hand cat tree I sprayed it down with a cat deodorizer spray, let that dry outside in a sunny spot, then used diluted bleach spray over the whole thing, let it dry outside in a sunny spot, and then let it sit outside in the sun for 72 hours (turning to make sure it all was in the sun so ultraviolet radiation could kill anything missed by the cleaning). I also got a slicker brush and brushed it prior to vacuuming to get as much loose hair and any eggs from possible fleas etc off it between each step above.

Yes, it took a good 7-9 days and wasnt quick but between everything I am fairly confident I got anything on it off and disinfected it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Tabbytom - I don't currently have a a steam cleaner but very randomly I had seen an advert for one earlier today so was considering a purchase this weekend. It does look like a very good way forward.

Kieko - sounds like a very thorough process! I got some spray stuff from Pets at Home so have sprayed it with that. Unfortunately though I don't think it will dry very quickly - have had to put it in an outside cupboard under the stairs so it's likely to be cold overnight.

But I can't bring it into the house to dry or that defeats the entire object lol.

It seems a little wobbly so I think it will be worth taking it apart and reassembling it.

Just need to find a good spot for it once all done!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

Tabbytom - I don't currently have a a steam cleaner but very randomly I had seen an advert for one earlier today so was considering a purchase this weekend. It does look like a very good way forward.
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

After you are done steam cleaning the cat tree, the steam cleaner is very useful for other household chores. So your money spent on the steam cleaner is not wasted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Grout. Sigh. Lol!!!