Bottom eyelid is red what to do

top kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 3 month old kitten has his right eye red.the bottom eyelid is out were I can see it and its red.i really need help on how to cure this and if its serious!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's probably conjunctivitis and he needs to go to the vet for diagnosis and medication.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

top kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!i just really needed to know what that was!

top kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg my other cat is sick I think.her meow was low and raggedy for a few days then her meow is like a 1month old kittens meow.she also has been doing this wired cough sneezing she looks like she's going to throw up but she doesn't

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Although it is understandable that you want to get some idea of what is going on and an assurance about same, it really would be best for you to get them to the vet as soon as you can for piece of mind instead of looking for answers here. 

True, there is a wealth of cumulative wisdom, but you know you cats better. What does your heart say to do? 

meandthegov

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
how long has her eye been like this? my cat gets temporary redness sometimes in his eye,* i'll wipe it with a warm clean cloth (never use the same spot of the cloth twice, in case it is pinkeye--you wouldn't want it to spread) and it seems to relieve him, he says thank you and the redness goes away shortly after. 

*he's sensitive to dust

Last edited:

top kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to take them to the vet but we don't have much mony.so I'm trying to see what I can do at home to help my kitty's.but I'm also trying to find a vet that doesn't charge much

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Conjunctivitis usually happens with an URI - and that can spread with your other cats, especially if they are young. 

You could try giving then L-Lysine, but if there's a secondary infection you really wanna go to the vet. Also, make sure they are eating well - with an URI they can get really congested and not smell their food, leading them to not want to eat. 

I've seen kittens with really bad conjunctivitis - it's not fun.

top kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Meandthegov, only for 3 or 4 days ill try to do what you do.

top kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pinkman, will it spread to a 8 month old cat because I don't want more of my cats getting that

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want to say it depends on the cat. If your 8 month old doesn't have a good immune system, then it's more likely to spread. If you are worried, I'd separate them, but it may be already too late. Regardless, if it is an URI that led to Conjunctivitis, I would supplement both cats with L-Lysine. 

However, I strongly urge you to take them to the vet to rule out any other illnesses. 

Please check this article out: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/when-you-cant-afford-a-veterinarian

Last edited:

top kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pinkman,I may just give them both the L-Lysine and probly separate them but the small one (by the way his name is Tomas
) likes being around the other one (which is yumyum)

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eye infections are incredibly painful and can spread easily. You really must find some way of getting to a vet as quickly as possible - they will probably need an antibiotic ointment or drops.

top kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've also noticed Tomas ,kitty with the bad eye,has started to sneeze could it be allergies or what

meandthegov

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
gov came to me from the shelter with a kitty cold when he was 3 wks old. the cold did not go away and he soon developed pinkeye. he then had to go on antibiotics and also get eyedrops for a week. what i am saying is the longer you put off going to a vet or a clinic (see if petsmart or a local shelter can provide services to you for cheaper), the more complicated and compounded your cat's health problems could become. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds to me like the uri herpevirus, it takes clavamox and terramycin eye ointment.

It is highly contagious for any cat or kitten who is un-vaccinated.

Herpevirus is like a cold with red, swelling, goopy/crusty eyes.

Some only get redness but it can get worse and pretty ugly too, some so bad when untreated they actually can lose that eye.

Terramycin is cheap on ebay, etc. but they need clavamox to prevent secondary bacterial infection, which can kill a kitten. (pneummonia)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, conjunctivitis is herpevirus (rhinotracheitis) when it affects the eye.

The sneezing going on just confirms this to me.

Are your cats not vaccinated?

The standard cat vaccine is the FVRCP, which stands for Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, Panleukopenia. Rhinotracheitis is herpevirus, calicivirus and herpevirus are by far the top 2 most common upper respiratory infections in kittens and cats.

However, if they are vaccinated BEFORE exposure, they are protected.

You also mentioned your 8 month old cat, surely he has had at least one vaccine by now, so he will be fine from that plus his mature immune system.

Your cat needs terramycin at least, I also use Idoxuridine but a small bottle is at least $35.00 and not all vets even carry it. Terramycin you can get for about $6.00 on ebay and it will clear his eye up fine too.

They do however also need clavamox.

Whether you can get a vet to give you this without the cost of a vet visit (if you use a specific vet regularly) or if the SPCA or humane society, or a rescue group can help you with a low cost visit.

Otherwise it's a real pain in the you-know-what untreated, and can turn into a chronic, ongoing issue. Sure you don't want that.

At that young of an age, the chance of it clearing up on it's own is pretty much zero. Sorry to say./

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know everyone is trying to help, but I must refer you all to the TCS rules that forbid giving medical advice online. We can explain from our own experience, but nothing can replace a vet visit and hands-on examination of the cat. And I once again I agree with everyone, please take him to the vet, he will be in great pain.