Bottle Feeding

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the second time I've attempted bottle feeding and it has been much easier than the first time around: it wasn't a matter of life or death as the kittens were already an estimated 4 weeks old when their feral mother escaped from their foster home and the kittens were brought to me. They are installed in my living room, creating havoc - and thriving. Although at first I was feeding them every four hours it was still much more workable than my unsuccessful attempt at 2-hourly stints with newborn kitties. However, it was still tiring and there was always the danger that I would forget the feeding bottles and plastic utensils boiling away in a saucepan.

How do other people cope? There is a lot of equipment on the market for sterilizing human baby feeding bottles but, as far as I can tell, nothing is really suitable for kittens. I have a small secondhand steam sterilizer for microwave ovens. Two U-shaped glass feeding bottles, a plastic human baby feeding bottle (which I use as a shaker for the formula) and the other small parts fit in easily and I've run the microwave several times with no ill effects on the contents. Still, I am not sure if the narrow-necked kitten bottles are suitable for steam sterilizing and if these are not sterile then there's no point in continuing with this method.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this matter? So much Information on the web about bottle feeding kittens and the importance of sterilizing the equipment - but no practical information to help the exhausted foster mother!

The first time I did once fall asleep and let the saucepan boil dry. I nearly poisoned the whole family with the fumes from burning plastic!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friend does bottle babies all the time and she just dunks everything in rubbing alcohol and then washes it clean with antibacterial dish soap.  Another friend puts the bottles in the dishwasher (the first friend doesn't have a working dishwasher).  I think either of these should be fine. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At that age you can start introducing solids :). Mix the formula with canned cat food until it's mushy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the tips. I am also now using the dishwasher for my present brood as

1) I only need to bottle feed once or twice a day

2) they are no longer tiny babies and can surely cope with a few germs

I'm not sure whether alcohol and anti-bacterial soap are effective enough but no doubt far better than nothing.  

I read that a dishwasher is only an option if the temperature is set high enough. I rarely use the highest temperature setting as the cycle takes hours. Hardly a quick solution when bottle feeding every two hours.
 At that age you can start introducing solids
The 2 brothers, one black and white the other marbled

and finally the little girl, tabby

Oh dear, they have woken up and are biting my feet. I'm going to miss them in more ways than one, when they are rehomed!

Thank you for your replies.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello experienced cat lovers!

This is not my first litter, but when fostering I feel twice as responsible for my protégées as when my own cat had kittens! My bottle-fed babies are a good eight weeks old and almost completely weaned. The 2 boys (both more than 1 000 g) no longer accept the bottle but lap up any formula which their little sister (850 g) leaves. She has a bottle perhaps twice a day although this morning she bit a hole in the teat so lapped the bottle contents out of a saucer.

Since I am trying to encourage my other cats to interact with the babies, I have normal wet cat food, kitten wet, kitten dry, cat milk (formula), cat milk and water in the feeding area. All three kittens try everything (including any breadcrumbs on the kitchen floor!). Today, I boiled a chicken breast and chopped some up small – it’s disappeared and the kittens took their share. Still, I have no idea which one is eating what.

My question: I have been feeding the smallest one with the bottle because

a) she is so much smaller than her brothers and

b) appears to have a health problem.

She is very active, fighting her heavier brothers until she drops. After 2 particularly fierce battles this weekend, she lay down on her back and fell asleep, snuggled up to my partner. Her breathing suddenly became loud and very much faster than normal. Fortunately, in both cases it didn’t last very long but I will definitely approach the cat charity tomorrow regarding a possible visit to the vet.

This evening, the chasing around was not nearly so wild (yesterday the weather was particularly windy and, in my experience, this makes most animals rather excited). She is now asleep with her brothers, breathing perhaps a fraction faster than they are but not making noises!

I would like to stop bottle-feeding. Is it wise? What detrimental effects should I watch out for (apart from weight loss, of course?)

Thank you for your help

and here she is:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can surely let the boys go, and let them eat themselves.

The question is, if you shall let the girl manage herself.   I think you can, but observe her a little more closely so you are sure she eats well and of the nutrious sorts...   Have also what was supposed to be in bottle, on a  plate, at least a couple of days more.

Double guard it by weighting her every day.

Good luck!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you StefanZ. I have just sent an e-mail to the cat charity outlining the problem as I see it. A simple e-mail takes time as I have to write in German (not my mother tongue). By the time I'd finished it I'd come to the conclusion to carry on with the milk formula for a few more days.

She bit a hole in a second bottle teat this evening and finished up coughing! She's fine now but I'm going to have to shut the computer down as all three are swinging on the leads.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks pretty healthy: nice weight, shiny eyes and fur, sounds like she's active, etc. She may be smaller just because she's female. The funny breathing might have been a dream---some cats show more outward signs while dreaming than others. I would probably ask the vet about it anyway.

Yep, if she's chewing the nipple it's probably time to teach her to drink her formula from a dish. With orphans, I do like to continue giving formula for a good long time---I'd rather give it too long than not long enough.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little girl is doing fine. It could have all been my fault - giving her a bottle when what she really needed was a cuddle with her real mother. Gulping down her milk then chasing her brothers may have caused Indigestion, tummy ache and fast breathing. She's putting on weight and I've put off a visit to the vet until we have completed the second deworming and all three can have their first vaccinations (assuming they are pronounced fit).

The good news is that there have been no repercussions. I have stopped bottle feeding - she laps up formula from a saucer (when I can save some from her greedy brothers), eats minced chicken, white fish as well as normal kitten food. All three are completely wild - I`m not sure how I'll survive the next 3 weeks when hopefully they will be able to go to their new homes. My living room will then need re-papering, new carpet and curtains, loudspeakers will have to be repaired or replaced and I'll at last be able to leave doors and windows open, much to the relief of my own cats.

Quote:
 With orphans, I do like to continue giving formula for a good long time---I'd rather give it too long than not long enough.
Well, they are now just over 9 weeks old - I intend feeding them one last packet (100 g) formula. Funnily enough, the 2 boys (who perhaps don't need it quite so much) will always eat whatever I put down regardless of when I put it down. The little girl continues playing with a toy mouse, chasing a fly or sitting behind one of my other cats trying to decide whether or not it is wise to take a swipe at her tail! She prefers to eat in peace while the others are well out of the way. She is an intelligent little thing - always the easiest to feed with the bottle and the first to get through an open door. Her brothers can only chase around after her once she starts playing paw-ball with a table tennis ball! Unfortunately, all those interested in adopting one or more of these "Tree cats" are fascinated by "Badger", with the marbled markings, mainly because he is so handsome and outgoing and "Krawallo", because he is the most daring of the 3 and finishes up acting the clown.

Nobody is really interested in the little girl who purrs so loudly when held. Still, it's early days yet and, in the worst scenario, I have 3 females so another one won't hurt. 
and number 2 on the hit list: