Bottle Baby Bowel Movements

snowcat7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, all!

I'm fostering a bottle baby (about 3 weeks old) and she's doing great, feeding, urinating when I stimulate her but I can't seem to get her to poop.  Is there a trick to this?  Should I massage her belly.  I've tried stimulating her anus with a wet paper towel and all she does is urinate.  Yesterday the head of our rescue group got her to poop, but I'm not having luck today.  Advice greatly appreciated!  She weights 8 ounces now!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moms do lick their bellies too when they stimulate them to potty. If you can hold the kitten under warm water and tap her bum she might relax and go. Make sure she doesn't get chilled after.

You can also put a few drops of olive oil in her bottle to help her go.

Which type of kmr are you feeding her? Powdered or canned? Some are more likely to cause constipation.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowcat7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's the powdered KMR. Should I try canned until she gets regulated?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, stick with the powdered form.  the pre-mixed are inconsistent and can cause diarrhea.  Add a drop of olive oil to the KMR, it will help.

Have you tried rubbing her stomach gently in a downward direction before stimulating her to go?

snowcat7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I tried (at the suggestion of another person bottle feeding a kitten) dipping her from the waist down in warm water in the bathroom sink and gently massaging her tummy downward, trying to mimic what mama kitty would do.  Yesterday the head of the rescue group stimulated her and she shot out about 5 segments of feces, so maybe it's just too early to go again???  She was able to get her to void about 24 hours ago.  I know they're supposed to have at least one bowel movement a day...  I know I'm over-worrying but I just want to do the right thing for this little girl and not let her get too constipated where it's really hard for her to void.

Last edited:

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The pooping part is usually the hardest. I always got the best results if I stimulated before a feeding. You can also do the triangle method you can find good videos on Youtube. I also noticed that if I patted their anus with a wet paper towel it was easier to do. 

snowcat7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the quick response!  I'll try the patting method and look on YouTube for the triangle ? method.  New one to me!

snowcat7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering a bottle baby who is about 3+ weeks old now. She's drinking her KMR fine, gaining weight (9 ounces now!) and her poop was perfect pellets for the last few days. Last night it began to have a green tint to it and was not formed. Is this normal?  Should I be adding something to the KMR?  It's the powdered kind and I mix it 1 scoop KMR to 2 scoops water.  Thanks in advance!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you haven't changed anything, is it possible the kitten has worms?  They take 2 weeks or so to hatch.

snowcat7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's a possibility!  I've got some Pyrantel - how young can you worm them and how much would I give a 3+ week old kitten?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I'm fostering a bottle baby who is about 3+ weeks old now. She's drinking her KMR fine, gaining weight (9 ounces now!) and her poop was perfect pellets for the last few days. Last night it began to have a green tint to it and was not formed. Is this normal?  Should I be adding something to the KMR?  It's the powdered kind and I mix it 1 scoop KMR to 2 scoops water.  Thanks in advance!

If its pellets it may be somewhat constipated. Toothpaste constistency is perfect in milk eating infants.  So give her more water - for example, a few drops between the teedings.   Diluting the KMR more is another way, but she needs the nourishment. The diluting 1+2 is normal.   Also, coldpressed olive oil, a drop or two in the bottle at each feeding.

The green tint sounds possibly suspicious, but I dont know what it is

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Oh, that's a possibility!  I've got some Pyrantel - how young can you worm them and how much would I give a 3+ week old kitten?
It may depend on the exact brand, but the brand of Pyrantel preparaate common in Sweden,  Banminth, is renown to be mild, may be used on healthy kittens 2+ weeks.

Google on the brand name of that preparate you do have....  Or ask your vet.

Last edited:

snowcat7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!  I'm fostering a bottle baby and she is starting to get a bit of sneezing and mucous in one nostril. Not so much that she can't drink out of her bottle and it's not constant.  Is 4 weeks old too young to be treated with a medication for this, by a vet of course?  She is eating well and is 10 ounces.  Thanks for any info! 
I am hoping her immune system will fight it but without mama's colostrum, I'm wondering.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry no one has responded, and I wish I had some help for you, but I've never had kittens that young.  Hopefully someone will be along to help soon.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will need to see a vet.  Have you checked with the rescue organization?  In the mean time, you can take the kitten in the bathroom and run a hot steamy shower for 10-15 minutes.  It will clear our his sinuses for a little bit.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hi!  I'm fostering a bottle baby and she is starting to get a bit of sneezing and mucous in one nostril. Not so much that she can't drink out of her bottle and it's not constant.  Is 4 weeks old too young to be treated with a medication for this, by a vet of course?  She is eating well and is 10 ounces.  Thanks for any info! 
I am hoping her immune system will fight it but without mama's colostrum, I'm wondering.
I agree with Handsome Kittys advices.  Begin with phoning to the vet, if its possible.

Not all vets are good on small kittens, but prescribe an antibiotic they can.

snowcat7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is no worse, thank goodness.  Her brother, who was found a few days before her, has been in the hospital being tube fed because he is so congested and can't eat because of it.  Kelsey (my foster) just sneezes now and then, has a tiny bit of mucous now and then but can eat well.  She has gained weight steadily and is weeing and pooping.  I feed her every 4-6 hours so I keep a close eye on her. Thanks for your help and advice!  I didn't know a kitten this tiny could get any antibiotics, but it's good to know in case it gets worse! 
I think I'll try the steam in the bathroom this afternoon, thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, tiny kittens are given antibiotics, and it sounds like both kittens have upper respiratory infections and need them desperately. Have you asked a vet for a prescription? How is your other kitten doing?

Last edited: