Both of my cats are having an issue with just one eye

thunderseed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My senior cat has had this problem where she'll close one eye as if it's irritated, and it will gush clear water, a few times in the past before and it always clears up after an hour or so. I've examined her eye and it looks fine, I can't tell if there's any sign of redness in her eye because she's a black cat.

But it just happened to my other cat just now, he was closing one eye and it was red around the edges (he's white so I can see the redness is quite pronounced compared to his normal eye), but without any eye watering. Nothing in the eye that I can see, it looks healthy - other than the redness around the edges.

My vet did say he has some kind of respiratory illness that is common in cats so he'll be prone to goopy eyes and sneezes, but he doesn't have any goop around his eyes right now, although I did hear him sneezing a few moments ago. 

So I'm wondering if maybe this is a common symptom of a cold, or if it's something I should be more worried about?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like your Vet thinks he may have Feline Herpes, which often effects their eyes and respiratory system.  Many people here treat that by giving L-Lysine to their cats.  Normally twice per day, every day.  250 mg per dose.  Then, if there is a flare-up like you may be seeing now, they increase the dosage to 500 mg twice per day.   Sometimes when it effects the eyes, they require a Vet's intervention as it can get quite severe. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/ocular-eye-herpes-in-cats

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/feline-herpes-and-rhinotracheitis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thunderseed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the links, it does sound like something my cats might have but the vet mentioned nothing about herpes and I specifically asked her how to treat it and she said it couldn't be treated, but that probiotics might help and she made me buy probiotics for him! I wish she would have told me more.