Both My Cats Seem To Prefer Dry Food At This Time...

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is not exactly an IBD kitty issue, but I do have a cat with IBD. He is on Royal Canin PV, and a bout a month ago, my vet wanted me to add in the RC Hydrolyzed protein, dry, to help him get his weight up. No problem, he LOVES it; so does my non IBD kitty, who gets Natures Variety Limited. In fact, the two of them seem to prefer the dry. What to do??? I have never fed my cats a strictly dry formula. Mittens - the non-IBD kitty - seems to be rejecting totally her NV rabbit. I ordered the chicken formula of NV...I cant understand how a cat would prefer the dry food..Obi will eat both but he seem to regard the dry food as a great treat. Comments and suggestions welcomed.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats, i feed wet twice a day, and keep Dr. Elsey's dry food out all the time. my cats seem to go in phases, sometimes more wet, sometimes more dry. Two of my cats prefer wet, the other two dry, guess they have their preference just like we do. I feed Rabbit sometimes, none of my 4 seem to like Rabbit as much as chicken, quail, beef, and the occasional fish. I do have several water bowls and water fountains around the house, so that hopefully my cats that prefer dry will drink more.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just watch out for bladder problems on all dry food. That's what happened with my cats.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just watch out for bladder problems on all dry food. That's what happened with my cats.
I do get some wet in all of them, but the two girls do like dry best. hence the water fountains around the house, luckily the girls do drink out of them quite a bit. i do still worry.

PoppyCA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an 8 month old male who prefers dry as well. Luckily, he's a good drinker. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars trying to find a canned food that he will eat. The best he will do is lap up any liquid and leave the meat (he won't touch pate'). I can occasionally get him to drink bone broth and he loves pumpkin so I do give him a tablespoon or two several times a week. So I just make sure that I'm feeding him the best quality dry that I can find (my opinion is that's Orijen) He also loves baked chicken so I bake a couple organic chicken tenders every few days and give him that with breakfast and dinner, making sure it's not more than 10% of his diet.
Side note - my last two kitties had a diet solely of Royal Canin dry (because that is what was recommended back in the 80's and 90's) and lived to be 16 yrs. and 19 yrs old with no urinary problems or health issues that weren't age related.