Both cats have lots of dandruff and drinking more

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let me just start off by saying the humidity where I live has been running around 5% for the past month or so. And it's exceeding hot outside, so our air conditioning runs almost non-stop, which is even more drying. We DO run a humidifier at night in the bedroom, but not during the daytime.

So, both boys had their semi-annual exams in mid March right before the shutdown, and they both had great check-ups, had COMPLETE senior blood panels done, checking for everything, and I mean everything because I'm paranoid having already had three kidney cats. One of my boys eats raw, and the other eats a combination of raw and good quality canned. For treats they get only 100% single protein freeze dried meats. I always add extra water to their meals to ensure they are well hydrated. Now, however, I am seeing them at the water bowl, which is just unheard of for them. And I am also seeing huge dandruff flakes on them. I mean huge! The only time I have seen something like this before is when they are nervous at the Vet. But now it's constant. On both of them. And they are scratching a little bit now, but I don't see anything at all wrong with their skin. I tried adding some what was supposedly unscented Omega 3 oil to their food and they weren't having it. I couldn't smell it, but appparently they could.

Could this just be the lack of humidity do you think? I mean, if it were just one, I would be more worried and think about scheduling a Vet visit, but both of them :dunno: ? Oh, and BTW, they do not even eat the same food at all (even the raw), well, except for their occasional treat, which haven't changed. And they are indoors only.

Any ideas or suggestions on what to do to help.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is in fact due to the dry air. If they are drinking more, that's good. They are losing moisture just by breathing. My vet suggested that the dandruff was due to dry skin, and she recommended an oil to add to their food to help that. Unfortunately, it was fish oil, and Mingo cannot tolerate anything with fish in it, so I had to stop giving it to him. But I think a few drops of fish oil from the pharmacy added to their food might help your cats.