Botched declaw?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think vets charge what they want more or less. I'm lucky I in a way. I've been going to my vet for 100 years give or take and if I pay cash I get a discount except on things like blood tests that go to a laboratory.
He'll scratch on the furniture if he doesn't have a scratch thing but that doesn't really matter does it.
Have you already got a cat? I thought Trevor was your boyfriend. I'm glad little paws are doing better.
People say such stupid things. Like the vet telling you not to let him jump.
Years ago I had to wear some sort of heart contraption for 24 hours. I was told 'not to sweat'. This was in August and I live in Israel which is massive hot I in the summer. I think I just stared at her. What do you reply to something like that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think vets charge what they want more or less. I'm lucky I in a way. I've been going to my vet for 100 years give or take and if I pay cash I get a discount except on things like blood tests that go to a laboratory.
He'll scratch on the furniture if he doesn't have a scratch thing but that doesn't really matter does it.
Have you already got a cat? I thought Trevor was your boyfriend. I'm glad little paws are doing better.
People say such stupid things. Like the vet telling you not to let him jump.
Years ago I had to wear some sort of heart contraption for 24 hours. I was told 'not to sweat'. This was in August and I live in Israel which is massive hot I in the summer. I think I just stared at her. What do you reply to something like that!
LOL Trevor is my other cat. I don't mention my boyfriend by name just as a privacy thing, I don't say the names of people when I am posting publicly on the internet. 

They have a massive two tier scratching post my boyfriend made, it has two posts, two resting platforms, and both carpet and sisal rope to scratch on, and I also have a corrugated cardboard scratcher. I've never seen Burlington use any of them for scratching, although he does jump up on the platforms to sleep.

I hope his eye is nothing to worry about as well, but I don't feel the vet paid enough attention to it to be able to truly say it's nothing. She didn't look at it long enough to know. 

This evening he's limping, but he felt well enough to come in the living room to visit, stand on his hind legs and put his front paws on the coffee table to check out a plate my boyfriend left there earlier, and then to jump up on the couch, and onto the back of it, to look out the window and take a nap. So I think he's doing alright, although I'm slightly concerned that the litter box hasn't been used. I hope he's not going down in the basement and using the other one. I figured he'd be sore enough to not want to navigate the stairs, so I set up the one with the beet pulp litter on the main level of the house to make it easy for him. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like he's moving about well and coped well with the surgery.  Fingers crossed for the litter, it may be that he's not been if he wasn't fed before the surgery so keep an eye on him and you may find he's been over the next 12 hours.    

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I've posted in this thread, yet, but I've been following it. Burlington is SO lucky to have you and your boyfriend as caring, loving parents.  
  Thank you for taking such good care of him and getting the surgery done to fix somebody else's mistake (makes me furious 
) . He will be sore, but it sounds like he's already getting around okay. Lots of vibes that he has a speedy recovery, free from pain, and no more problems! 

I suppose you can focus on his eye after you know his paws are in good shape. I hope it's nothing serious. 

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He ate before the surgery, since we didn't know what was going to happen or how quickly they wanted to do it, we hadn't taken food away that day. He threw up after they gave him the first shot to start knocking him out (they let us stay with him until he was ready to go to surgery), but he hadn't gone 12 hours without eating. They fed him that night and again in the morning, and then boyfriend picked him up around 4pm when he got off work. He's doing well this morning, he even was sitting on his hind legs yelling at me to open the can faster when I fed them this morning. They get canned food a little later on the weekends since we're not up and about at 5:30 getting ready for work, and act like they are pawsitively starving to death, even though there is always dry food out!

He's not as sore as I expected, but I imagine it's not nearly as bad to deal with when it's just one toe on each foot instead of all of them. 

I don't know any other way to be. He's my cat, I adopted him. When I did that, I made a commitment to take care of him, whatever that may entail. If he needs medicine, or surgery, or whatever else, that's what I will do. I don't understand our throwaway society. When I had my horse, a lady gave him to me (at 19 years old, after knowing him for 18 years of his life) because he was too spunky for her to ride at 50 years old. When he got laminitis (a serious hoof inflammation, to explain it simply) she told me she didn't want him back. I wasn't trying to give him back, I was just letting herk now what had happened since we'd stayed in touch. I spent a ridiculous amount of money on that horse, having his shoes and pads redone every 5 weeks for nearly a year to the tune of $125 a pop, not to mention all of the supplements and stuff I was giving him. Why? Because he was my horse, and he needed it. 

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he's not using the litterbox, try taking the new litter out, swishing some of his regular litter in the box and then dump that and put the new litter back. Sometimes the smell throws them off and they don't realize it's ok to pee in there. The smell of the old litter can help.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's burlington today.
There's a very old song in England called 'Burlington Bertie from Bow'!
I only know the first line. 'I'm Burlington Bertie I rise at 10.30'. That's all I can remember.
Show a picture of Trev.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
How is the Burlington boy today? Any litter action or is he too shy to go while under close observiation?  I have my fingers crossed that he is OK.  I guess he was in so much pain before as well that post surgery won't be a sudden new thing for him, and maybe not much worset to what he had before.

You do not do your self justice in the care you are giving, far too many people adopt and then if there are any issues they don't want to know.  Burlington and Trevor are lucky to have their furever home with you. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are indeed.
Like I asked before. Did you check their downstairs toilet?

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't checked the box but since nobody was home all day, there's no way to know who would have used it. But Boyfriend said he caught him using the downstairs one last night, he got there too late to get him out of it. He had an antibiotic shot and is spending plenty of time licking his feet, so I'll just have to keep an eye on it. The litter is fresh in the downstairs box, so it shouldn't be very dirty.

He's still a bit sore but doing alright. And I agree that the pain from the surgery probably isn't so much of a shock since his feet already hurt before. Poor baby isn't going to know what to think when he's completely out of pain. He's climbing around and getting on and off the furniture, and was pawing at the window a bit ago (no idea what he might have seen out there). I can tell he's sore, but he feels better than he did.

If you go on my profile page, there are pictures of both boys. Trevor is the black tabby, and Burlington is tabby and white.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Looked at your boys' photos: what a fine, fluffy pair they are!  :-D.  Good to hear Burlington's climbing about and showing interest in things.  Hope his paws stay infection free and his recovery continues to go well.  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's probably got used to his toilet being downstairs. Did I say that yesterday?
Anyway glad he's doing better.