Bored

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for ferals who have neen inside about 2 weeks, not to play with us bc they have alot of stuff to play with and a condo. They play themselves after we are asleep.
Our appear to be bored alot.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Getting ferals to adjust to life indoors can take some time. It's usually easiest for feral kittens to adjust- do you know how old your cats are? Have they been socialized at all?

Here's an article that explains more about making indoor life more fun for cats: Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had my 3 inside for 3 weeks now. They do not play nearly as much as they did outside. I notice that they do most of their playing at night. This is completely normal and will change as they grow more comfortable. Some feral cats will learn to adjust quickly. The first one I brought inside took a full year. The second one took 3-4 months. The 3 I just brought inside, I expect to take awhile. It's just time and patience.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first feral mom, probably about 3-4 years old, had no clue about what toys were for. It took me a few months of sleeping on a foam mattress in her room and playing with a laser pointer in the dark to engage her. Also freeze dried salmon or chicken bribes. Then there were a few fleece balls she learned to pick up and fling around. Four years after her rescue, she plays like a kitten, and roughhouses with her kids. FYI I recommend sleeping in the room with the cats if you can--after a couple months, once they realize you're not going to hurt them. One night I woke up to find Hanna sleeping at my feet. I still can't touch her, (my husband can) but she liked me enough to camp out with me. =)
It will take a while and the time it takes is often proportional to how long they were outside.
Best of luck. Be patient! =)