Bored cat? What can I do?

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

My 10 month old cat (shorthair domestic) seems fine... I think.

I spoiled him to begin with, with a whole bunch of toys.
Fast forward from Aug when I got him up until recently, I do worry if he gets bored especially at night when we go to bed and close the door so he is in his own room.

He sleeps for a good few hours during the day. He does not play as much with his "grab the feather" toy:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5TD8CTF/?tag=thecatsite

Probably because he is bored with it, and that's ok.

he does not show signs of aggression. I unfortunately am not physically around as much for a couple of weeks or so at a time compared to "cat mom" so he has a better bond with her (and I feel bad about it because I want him to come to me and lay with me!)

he does suckle the duvet ALOT and purrs (but does not purr as loudly as he once used to).
he does meow a lot randomly sometimes and not sure why and that in itself worries me because I don't know what he wants (I wish I could speak cat lang!)

Sorry, I may be over projecting or over thinking. I just want him to be comfortable.

"Zoom" sometimes gets too fast for himself and slams into the wall when chasing things or when he has his zoomies from time to time.

He eats fine and eats throughout the day/night (bowl left out with dry food). It's funny, at night - you can hear him eat and hear the "crunch" when we are asleep lol.

He does, sometimes, tear up napkins. Why?

I guess, I don't know what to do to get him to not be bored if he is bored and what things I can do?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tearing up napkins is fun! You can provide him some craft or tissue paper.

The best way to prevent boredom and lonliness in kittens is for them to have a kitten friend if you can afford two cats.

You can also look up loads of enrichment ideas on YouTube. There's DIY treat games and puzzles among other ideas.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a senior cat that bores easily. She'd rather sleep than romp. BUT..she loves her Cat TV on You Tube. and is especially visually involved with bunny videos. When I turn on the mice videos she gets all energized and excited because I put little toy mice in the room and she thinks the mice in the video are running off the screen and into the room, and off she goes to catch the critters. I will also store them in a baggie with a bit of catnip to make it extra exciting for her!
I went through a terrible time trying to get her involved in something after she grew accustomed and bored with the usual toys $$$$$.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My apartment is catified! Cat tower,lounger,triangular scratcher,lots of chew toys,cubes,tunnels. My cat loved the ripple rug and cats meow,wand toys with something to grab like the go cat catcher with a mouse and purrfect leather bouncer. Cats love to stretch so square or slanted scratchers. She does not like sisal only corrugated cardboard
20200320_112425.jpg

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a senior cat that bores easily. She'd rather sleep than romp. BUT..she loves her Cat TV on You Tube. and is especially visually involved with bunny videos. When I turn on the mice videos she gets all energized and excited because I put little toy mice in the room and she thinks the mice in the video are running off the screen and into the room, and off she goes to catch the critters. I will also store them in a baggie with a bit of catnip to make it extra exciting for her!
I went through a terrible time trying to get her involved in something after she grew accustomed and bored with the usual toys $$$$$.

[/URL]
[/URL]
That is a REALLY good idea!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My apartment is catified! Cat tower,lounger,triangular scratcher,lots of chew toys,cubes,tunnels. My cat loved the ripple rug and cats meow,wand toys with something to grab like the go cat catcher with a mouse and purrfect leather bouncer. Cats love to stretch so square or slanted scratchers. She does not like sisal only corrugated cardboardView attachment 444572
Love this!!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats all love batting around tennis balls. They play hockey with it then flop on their side and attack it with their back feet.
Does he have a window perch to watch the outside world? Would building a catio be something you'd be interested in? What about harness training and taking him for adventures in the yard?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats all love batting around tennis balls. They play hockey with it then flop on their side and attack it with their back feet.
Does he have a window perch to watch the outside world? Would building a catio be something you'd be interested in? What about harness training and taking him for adventures in the yard?
I think my cat Coco dreams of a basket ball court filled with pingpong balls when she meows and moves her arms and legs while sleeping

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As always, you are all amazing. That room looks like a cats dream lol.

I gave zoom my guest bedroom where he sleeps in there and has toys.
I do have a cat house that is facing the autriam so he can look there and sometimes does go out there.

We do open the blinds so he can see the birds outside.
Its funny, if we are resting in bed, he comes in and uses his paw to open the blind to look outside... Especially when it's dark. It's hilarious him helping himself 🤣🤣

CatTV is an interesting one. I'll have to try!
Today I noticed he was trying to chew and take out feather from a toy and eat it. I managed to grab most of the feathers... 😞

He enjoys playing with the color springs from time to time and of course the laser pen.

I just wish he would come to me more. He mainly let's me pet him when he is napping or just waking up and enjoys it. Otherwise he looks other way and sometimes squirms away...

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

I do have a cat house that is facing the autriam so he can look there and sometimes does go out there.

Its funny, if we are resting in bed, he comes in and uses his paw to open the blind to look outside... Especially when it's dark. It's hilarious him helping himself 🤣🤣

Today I noticed he was trying to chew and take out feather from a toy and eat it. I managed to grab most of the feathers... 😞

He enjoys playing with the color springs from time to time and of course the laser pen.

I just wish he would come to me more. He mainly let's me pet him when he is napping or just waking up and enjoys it. Otherwise he looks other way and sometimes squirms away...
When my cats were kittens they did not come to me. Of my 3 only Coco is a lap cat. Peaches has a time limit when and how long to be close and let me pat her. Now that she's 10 she's much more affectionate. If he goes outside,get him microshipped

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
.......When my cats were kittens they did not come to me. Of my 3 only Coco is a lap cat.
My Louise is not a touchy-feely cat at all. She hates laps and will squirm out of a grasp. She only lets me pick her up when she is in a mischievous mood and wont budge and wants me to carry her to a certain place. The next time she will wait until I am ready to pick her up and then she will suddenly scamper away..her way of playing a 'got ya' game. That results in us playing a game of 'tag' around the house....and she (and I) both have fun! She knows a treat is in store after that. That is 1 way to break the boredom..if Mom is able to run around the house!
But I often wonder why kittens even from the same litter are so different..one becomes a lap cat , one becomes a solitude lover.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My Louise is not a touchy-feely cat at all. She hates laps and will squirm out of a grasp. She only lets me pick her up when she is in a mischievous mood and wont budge and wants me to carry her to a certain place. The next time she will wait until I am ready to pick her up and then she will suddenly scamper away..her way of playing a 'got ya' game. That results in us playing a game of 'tag' around the house....and she (and I) both have fun! She knows a treat is in store after that. That is 1 way to break the boredom..if Mom is able to run around the house!
But I often wonder why kittens even from the same litter are so different..one becomes a lap cat , one becomes a solitude lover.
I believe one reason is the way there mom treated them. Coco was always with her mom. They even slept together when she was 5 weeks old. Maggie had 4 siblings that would sleep on my porch with their mom. The mom made Maggie stay in the bushes. Now Maggie does not sleep with me even at 9 yrs old

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

He's busy! Most of mine are too busy (and important, according to them) to waste time cuddling when they're kittens but as they get older and settle into adulthood, they appreciate it a lot more.
Take tons of pictures and videos!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goof and Sarah are litter mates, and Goof is in your face, loves to be pet/held/brushed/combed/talked to/looked at. Sarah will lay on or beside me but isn't into the cuddles nearly as much. She's very territorial, so while the rest are hanging out on the couch she's silently cussing us out because it's all up to her to prevent rando cats from taking over our turf. :rolleyes3: