Bored, bored, bored..... entertain me

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just bought our cats a 'Cat's Meow' As Seen On TV.  Found it at Ross for $5.  Both cats are currently enjoying it.  I wish the wand would stay in.

abbybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

We just bought our cats a 'Cat's Meow' As Seen On TV.  Found it at Ross for $5.  Both cats are currently enjoying it.  I wish the wand would stay in.
I got one of those and it keeps Abby going for quite some time. She pounces on it pretty hard though so she not only knocks the wand loose, but sometimes the motor thing comes apart. Still it is nice to have something to entertain her while I am doing other things, like making dinner, doing dishes etc. I don't think the gizmo will last very long though. I'm going to have to give the mousie in the drink bottle a try...

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat is just laying around looking bored I wouldn't worry about it.  I thought she was hounding you to play or wrecking things.  The feral cats are always laying around and relaxing.  I love your puzzle ideas, but don't drive yourself crazy because you think she's bored.  She's just being a cat.  Lots of cats flop on their side, some lay more gracefully.  There was a thread about it somewhere, maybe the cat's meow forum.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, when I think bored kitten/cat I don't think of cats that are laying around. Cats love laying around more and more so as they get older. It is part of being a cat. Boredom is usually displayed with destructive or annoying behavior such as tearing up a couch or running around the house knocking things off of shelves. With my cat, I know he is bored when he gets very loud and meows non stop.

abbybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I agree, when I think bored kitten/cat I don't think of cats that are laying around. Cats love laying around more and more so as they get older. It is part of being a cat. Boredom is usually displayed with destructive or annoying behavior such as tearing up a couch or running around the house knocking things off of shelves. With my cat, I know he is bored when he gets very loud and meows non stop.
Oh dear, I guess that means Abby is bored. However I do play with her a lot and she doesn't always act out this way when I stop. But some days (yesterday, for example) it can be exasperating. I guess on those days the amount of play time just isn't satisfactory. I kind of think (hope) that the loud demanding meows, attempts to pull over plants, clawing at and biting the comforter on the bed, or the area rugs etc. are part of her obnoxious teenager stage and will pass. Over time (again, I hope) the days when she doesn't act out like this will outnumber the days when she does (they are about 60-40 on the side of acting out at the moment).

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh dear, I guess that means Abby is bored. However I do play with her a lot and she doesn't always act out this way when I stop. But some days (yesterday, for example) it can be exasperating. I guess on those days the amount of play time just isn't satisfactory. I kind of think (hope) that the loud demanding meows, attempts to pull over plants, clawing at and biting the comforter on the bed, or the area rugs etc. are part of her obnoxious teenager stage and will pass. Over time (again, I hope) the days when she doesn't act out like this will outnumber the days when she does (they are about 60-40 on the side of acting out at the moment).
My youngest cat is at that stage. She is about six months old now. We manage to keep her mostly out of trouble by making sure that she gets a lot of playtime. Luckily, we have a three year old cat that she has as a playmate. She also will play with her toys by herself, chasing crinkle balls around the room and running all around her Petstages track toy to go after the balls that roll in the tracks. Still there are moments where she becomes far more destructive than I would like.

abbybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My youngest cat is at that stage. She is about six months old now. We manage to keep her mostly out of trouble by making sure that she gets a lot of playtime. Luckily, we have a three year old cat that she has as a playmate. She also will play with her toys by herself, chasing crinkle balls around the room and running all around her Petstages track toy to go after the balls that roll in the tracks. Still there are moments where she becomes far more destructive than I would like.
I have dedicated an old broom handle as the "fisher of crinckle balls and toy mice out from under the fridge" tool. So funny that she will push them back under almost as quickly as I can fish them out - sort of another game really. She is able to play on her own too, and sometimes will spend a fair bit of time amusing herself. Other times, our play sessions do seem to satisfy her. It is the times when they don't that can be frustrating...for us both. My previous cat was quite playful, which I loved, but didn't turn into a demanding prima donna when I had to stop and do other things like make my dinner, do dishes, go to the bathroom etc.

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with the feeling that seeing a cat sleep too much is upsetting. But I guess Handsome Kitty is right. Sometimes they prefer to just lie there. I chalk it up to a balance, sometimes Annabel goes outside and plays and sometimes not. Temp. and weather dependent here. I'm not so disturbed by her sleeping a lot as I used to be since I realize that it's a balance and she'll play if she can and wants to. She loves classical music. You might try that. So far we've listened to Beethoven and Chopin. A cat can't play to music but it is entertainment.