Boots gets neutered tomorrow

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by speakhandsforme

Oh okay, good. I was a little worried that he would infect himself by licking the wound too much. But I didn't know that their saliva is antiseptic, that's fascinating!
It has antiseptic properties certainly, but the reason cats and another animals lick wounds is firstly because it promotes and accelerates the healing process, and secondly because it is believed the reduce pain and itching by overloading the pain receptors in the skin. We humans do the same thing why is why you have the urge to scratch a healing wound.

Too much licking may well lead to infection - but not from the licking itself, rather from an infected lick granuloma. This, and the potential for biting a wound and introducing bacteria into the bloodstream, is why a vet might recommend a collar if the animal will not leave the wound alone

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I didn't even know cats could get granulomas from licking themselves.

Fortunately, he's left it alone since about 10pm last night. It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, which is why I've decided to forgo the pain meds until he shows signs of being in pain.