Boots. Get out of my plants, Mr."

stevenboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I may have already asked this. But I don't remember doing so and I can't find the topic in a search. Anyway.

Is there a way to break a kitten/cat from climbing on/digging in your plants? Boots is digging in my Ponytail Palm and pulled over a flowering plant in a plant stand. What can I do to get him to leave the plants alone. He gets plenty attention and has several toys to play with.

Thanks for any help.

paula freeman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I heard that you can put water in a spray bottle and every time your cat does something wrong use the water on him. It wouldn't hurt to try it.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's actually not a great idea to use a spray bottle. It makes your cat afraid of you, but doesn't necessarily teach them not to do the behavior in question. I would cover the soil with a bit of aluminum foil for now until the cat learns to leave the plants alone. Cats really don't like the feel of aluminum foil.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tin foil worked for me too. You could probably use some heavy river stones to cover the dirt as well if you want something a little nicer-looking.

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I could never get my cats to stay out of the plants. My 1 1/2 year old female cat is a climber. I used to have all sorts of larger tree-like plants. One of them looked like a palm tree but it was some other kind of plant. I can't remember the name, but it had a think bark like a tree and every time I turned my back she would be in the plants, chewing the leaves and knocking them over. Eventually I got tired of the mess so I got rid of the plants she managed not to kill and keep small plants on window hooks away from the cats where they cannot get to. I wish I could have a christmas tree but I know what the end result would be.