Boo's Poo Help

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi folks, 

Ok, it's been a little over 48 hours since Boo has had a poop. 

Prior to that, it was once per day, sometime between 6 p.m. and 12:00 a.m. 

His behaviour is energetic as can be, running around after eating to burn off some energy. 

He's been on canned wet food since I got him less than two weeks ago. 

Tried so far: 

(1) 1 Teaspoon of 100% pumpkin, mixed into this mornings wet food. 

(2) Went out and bought some Miralax (well, RestoraLax in Canada - same ingredient and concentration) 

How much Miralax do you use for cats? He's 11.9 pounds.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you : A) change the brand of wet food recently to something else B) reduce or increase the amount of food or change the feed time perhaps? C) Change the location of litter box. Any one of these things can result in changes and delays.

Sometimes pumpkin can help with mild constipation, sometimes not depending on the cause for constipation. If he doesn't go by this afternoon, give him a bit of Miralax (1/4-1/2 tsp) in some wet food and see how that goes.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A) I have continually been rotating brands and proteins - from chicken, turkey, beef, or lamb&duck.  Evo - FF - Presid.Choice (good ingredients actually),Wild Calling and so on. No problems, prior to last 48+ hrs. 

-Actually I did try something new - I gave him a very small amount of frozen raw duck last night and this morning (free sample from pet store).

B) Hmm, perhaps I increased the calorie intake ever so slightly: rather than 180-200 (depending on brand and quantity measured via digital scale), I would likely say it hovered close to 220-230 the last 2 nights.

C) No, litter box is in same spot. He still has his 2-3 pees per day.  Drinks from the water fountain too. 

- I usually feed twice a day: morning and night. 

-I just came home for lunch and split up his food: 1/2 now, 1/2 for tonight.   I mixed another teaspoon of pumpkin into the food, in addition to 1/8 teaspoon of Miralax, based on some recommendation I came across.  I'll bump to 1/4 tsp. tomorrow if nothing happens by tonight. 

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A) I have continually been rotating brands and proteins - from chicken, turkey, beef, or lamb&duck.  Evo - FF - Presid.Choice (good ingredients actually),Wild Calling and so on. No problems, prior to last 48+ hrs. 

-Actually I did try something new - I gave him a very small amount of frozen raw duck last night and this morning (free sample from pet store).

B) Hmm, perhaps I increased the calorie intake ever so slightly: rather than 180-200 (depending on brand and quantity measured via digital scale), I would likely say it hovered close to 220-230 the last 2 nights.

C) No, litter box is in same spot. He still has his 2-3 pees per day.  Drinks from the water fountain too. 

- I usually feed twice a day: morning and night. 

-I just came home for lunch and split up his food: 1/2 now, 1/2 for tonight.   I mixed another teaspoon of pumpkin into the food, in addition to 1/8 teaspoon of Miralax, based on some recommendation I came across.  I'll bump to 1/4 tsp. tomorrow if nothing happens by tonight. 
That sounds like a good plan. Hopefully this is just an off day or two for Boo due to the different foods. It might be an idea to choose two or three and stick to those Boo really likes. Just a thought.

I just noticed you are in CDA as well. Curious to know which PC food you are using.

Last edited:

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, the PC food - interesting find:

PC Chicken Dinner -extra meaty - 156g (equivalent to 5.5 oz.) - no fish

PC Turkey & Giblet - extra meaty - 85g  (3 oz) - no fish 

- Pretty decent ingredients, as in no grains, fruits, glutens and so on. Chicken / Turkey as first ingredient. - odd pricing, so buy 10 at a time and you'll be a happy camper.

There are other sizes, in addition to Beef.  Yet, the Beef (any size), and Chicken small, or Turkey&Giblet big - contain fish down the list, if that's an issue. (No different than fancy feast chicken dinner.  

They're all Pates too. 

Last edited:

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you give him the restoralax, make sure he's well hydrated. Add some water to his food as well.

My Canuck cats never took to the PC brands and I had trouble with the ring pull coming off almost every can I tried to open making the can virtually impossible to open.

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip - yes, I've been adding 2 tablespoons of water to his meals, microwave 24 seconds and stir.  Seems to give a nice warmness.  

I really think he could care less about the texture because he's eaten it cold as well. 

I haven't had an issue with the PC house brand pull tabs. I've opened 3 cans so far. My guy likes it as much as fancy feast I'd say, or close to it. He's easy to please. 

Since late tonight will be 72 hrs'ish, I'm tempted to give another 1/8 teaspoon of Miralax (RestoraLax) with tonight's dinner, if I don't see a mammoth turd late afternoon.

Edit - I've never been this excited or worried about a Poop. Can't wait to find one tonight! Here's hoping! 

Last edited:

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright - Poop Patrol Update:

Boo had a decent Poo. @ 9 p.m. ~ 60 +hrs. after last Poo. 

Solution tried:  1 Tbsp of Pumpkin divided into 3 canned wet meals + 1/8 tsp. RestoraLax (MiraLax) x2  (Could have been placebo effect, but I'll take it) 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he pooped.  I was gonna say Miralax usually can take a few days to take effect.  Sometimes Pumpkin can have an opposite effect but it sounds like it helped Boo.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright - Poop Patrol Update:

Boo had a decent Poo. @ 9 p.m. ~ 60 +hrs. after last Poo. 

Solution tried:  1 Tbsp of Pumpkin divided into 3 canned wet meals + 1/8 tsp. RestoraLax (MiraLax) x2  (Could have been placebo effect, but I'll take it) 
Good to hear that he went. Depending on what his diet was like before you got Boo, it could be that he is one cat who could do with more fibre. Not all cats need this but maybe Boo does. Adding the pumpkin seems to have worked. Adding a bit to each meal might be beneficial in preventing constipation in future.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, the PC food - interesting find:

PC Chicken Dinner -extra meaty - 156g (equivalent to 5.5 oz.) - no fish

PC Turkey & Giblet - extra meaty - 85g  (3 oz) - no fish 

- Pretty decent ingredients, as in no grains, fruits, glutens and so on. Chicken / Turkey as first ingredient. - odd pricing, so buy 10 at a time and you'll be a happy camper.

There are other sizes, in addition to Beef.  Yet, the Beef (any size), and Chicken small, or Turkey&Giblet big - contain fish down the list, if that's an issue. (No different than fancy feast chicken dinner.  

They're all Pates too. 
Yes, I have seen this food. Its not too bad. I have purchased the tins of the Duck variety (green label) for my female as a backup. There is a bit of wheat gluten in these products, just so you are aware. PC has a grain-free/by-product free line. Have not tried this.

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We might be looking at different PC products - there are no grains, nor glutens at all in the tin I'm reading.   

It says - PC Chicken Dinner - extra meaty Pate. 

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now why didn't I think about a link ;) Nicely done.   Yes, that's the one, the worst offending ingredients would be by-products, dried egg product (if that's bad), added colour, guar gum & carrageenan.  

Granted it doesn't compete with the higher tier canned cat foods, but it looks better than Friskies and is on par with Fancy Feast - which I'm sure they're trying to replicate, yet at a better price.  The bonus is, there's no fish buried in the ingredients.