Books you read long ago...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was about 11, my father went down to Florida on some sort of Army business, and he brought me back a children's novel called "Swampy & Babs In Okefenokee." It was about two kids who witness poachers in the swamp and have to escape to report them and stop the killing of the animals. It was pretty darn good! And looking back, I realize it had a lot to do with shaping my attitudes about animals and the ecology.

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I liked Nancy Drew, but loved the Bobbsey Twins. They are the reason I started reading on my own. My mom was reading me a chapter each night and then got too busy because it was near Christmas. I just had to find out what was happening to those kids in that book! I started reading on my own and my Dad liked to say "you always have your nose in a book!" and I did.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

I liked Nancy Drew, but loved the Bobbsey Twins. They are the reason I started reading on my own. My mom was reading me a chapter each night and then got too busy because it was near Christmas. I just had to find out what was happening to those kids in that book! I started reading on my own and my Dad liked to say "you always have your nose in a book!" and I did.
Oh, yeah, the Bobbsey Twins! Of course! I loved them, too.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

what was it about?
It's basically the story of an inter-racial couple who met at university, fell in love and all the drama and hardships they had to endure from family and society. At the time it was very popular and most of my friends all read it as well. It was a Thornbirds type of book- everyone was reading it at the time.

Originally Posted by Misty8723

Ann Fairbairn is the author. I read it back in the 60s as well and absolutely loved it. I found it at a garage sale a few years ago, and bought it, but I haven't re-read it yet.
That's it! It cost me $90+ CDN to get the copy I ordered several years ago, but it was really worth it to me.

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beck4582

I used to have all of The Babysitter's Club books...
Yeah, me too. I loved those things. *hangs head in shame*

I REALLY loved the Ramona books. They were probably my favorites growing up.