Boo - visiting other homes?

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since I'm a first time cat owner, I'm not quite up to speed on what the protocol is for taking Boo with me for short visits to other people? 

He's 4 years old and I've had him for almost 2 weeks.  He's completely settled in with me, investigated every nook and cranny and slept on every surface possible. 

I wanted to introduce him to my folks place - confining him to the kitchen and den area is easy enough.  

My guess is he would dash underneath the couch or chairs in the den, which may make it a challenge to get him out when I have to leave. 

Or, I can just confine him to the kitchen if need be. 

What are your thoughts, too soon? 

Dogs are easier in this regard that you can just toss him/her in the car for short visits with little emotional turmoil to the doggy. 

Eventually I'd like to introduce him to my sister's golden retriever, but really not too sure.  The retriever is young and feisty. May terrify poor kitty. 

luvnickles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats aren't really suited to car rides and visits.  They aren't like dogs, who want to be with us every possible moment and adapt quite well for the most part, to new situations and places.  Since they are so attached to us and treat us like a member of their pack, they take it in stride that we drive in cars and visit strange places and that they will come along.  Dogs are inherently pack driven and are always on the move so this behavior is easily translated when we take them out and about.  But cats don't bond with us in the same way.  They are fiercely territorial and do not like to be moved around.  It makes them very uneasy since in the wild, they must defend their boundaries and be prepared to fight if they wander into another cat's territory.  I know you mean well - wanting to be with your sweet one as much as possible, but you will inadvertently cause him a lot of anxiety.  Please don't try to treat your cat like a dog.  He will be MUCH happier letting you go on your visits and wait for you at home. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah - that makes sense.  I'd be better off inviting them over here then, rather than pack him up in the crate and go marching off here and there. 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Well, I'd have to disagree, only because I've seen differently with my own eyes.  I wish we'd started acclimating our cats to travel, other people and other situations at an early age.  We have two sets of friends who travel with their cats regularly.  They ARE like little dogs.  One couple loves to go fly-fishing and they have a van set up for travel/camping.  They take their two cats with them on every trip.  The cats are allowed outside at the campsite or wherever our friends are set up.  I marveled at them doing that (personally I'd be so freaked out the cats would run away!) but my friend said "They know where home is."  They have traveled with their cats for years.  

My other friend started taking his cat Max in the car with him from Day 1 as a kitten.  Max followed him around like a dog.  We traveled with our friend and his cat halfway across the country once in a motor home.  We were very skeptical about how it would be to travel with this cat but the first night, when we stopped to camp for the night, we were astonished to see our friend walk out of the motor home to take his cat for a walk and let Max do his business.  No leash/harness, nothing.  Max followed him, sniffed things, stretched his legs, did his business, and then hopped back up in the motor home.  

I'm not saying all cats/owners are capable of this, but it sure is possible.

Last edited:

raedances

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I travel with my cat to my parents' house a couple times a year.  It's a fairly expensive flight, so I usually try to take a couple of 1-2 week trips per year, instead of more frequent, short trips.  Since the one time I left my cat (with a familiar cat sitter) for longer than 48 hours he managed to lose 3/4 of a pound in a week (a lot for a cat that tops out at 8 pounds soaking wet) and have a stress-related respiratory flare-up, it works out much better for both of us if I bring him along!  He stays confined to the downstairs area (where I stay), and obviously feels like it's his second territory.  The moment he's out of the carrier, he trots around doing his happy tail-shake, runs to check out his favorite window spot, and tries to convince me to let him into the downstairs office.

Lucky for me, Biscuit is a great traveler.  He likes people watching at the airport, and as long as he gets some love during the landing, he stays completely calm during the flight.  (He's also super happy to go visit the vet. Any time he can be the center of attention, he's in his element!)  That said, he's a pretty unique cat in this regard.  If he didn't have a terrible stress response to me being away, or seem so content with the situation at my parents' house, I definitely wouldn't put him through the experience.  I would say that unless you're going to be staying at your parents' house for a few days at a time, it's not worth the stress to your cat.  However, if you ARE going to be staying longer, it might be worth a try - if the cat is unhappy with the situation, you'll know!  If you do decide to try, make sure you bring some familiar things for the cat (a favorite napping blanket would be great, since it will smell like him), and have an identical (or as close as possible) litterbox set up.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ever see the movie Harry and Tonto with Art Carney, the actor from the Jackie Gleason show? Its a very funny heart-warming movie from 1974 about a retired man who travels cross-country with his cat after his apartment complex is torn down and he is left without a place to live. Worth checking out.

Harry and Tonto : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071598/

Like Betsy-Gee I believe cats are very capable of traveling in a car and for long distances, provided they have been properly introduced to it and naturally enjoy it. My cat Max LOVES to hop into the back seat of our car and sleep in the window every chance he gets in the summer, and enjoys traveling in the car. We usually have to pull him out of there when it is time to go somewhere that we can't take him.

Last edited:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l think it depends on the cat. l wouldn't dream of taking my older two anywhere unless l absolutely had to. But l occasionally take the youngest one with me when l visit family, and l always stop in to visit someone when we've been to the vet. l wouldn't say it thrills him, but he's fine with it.

Some cats are naturally very sociable and very adventurous. @Bluebird Gal  's Si comes to mind
.  They enjoy a harness, enjoy car rides, enjoy other cats, other people, new situations. 

lf he's a well-grounded, naturally outgoing and relaxed cat, l think you should at least try it, in spite of his age.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
one of my cats, Charlie, he LOVES going places. He's very social, and curious, and just wants to explore. He hates the car ride and being in his crate, he meows and is scared, but is really friendly and curious when he gets to where we end up. I've taken him to my mom's house a few times and he's been good. every time i take him to the vet he rubs up on the vets legs. 

my other cat Jet, she loves going outside, like if i have her in her carrier, and we are riding in the car...or walking...she's calm, and she even purrs (she used to be a stray, has been living with me for 2 months now), but she is absolutely afraid of new people and new places. The two times that i've taken her to the vet, she hides in her carrier and will not come out for anything. If i manage to get her out, she clings to me with her claws.

it really does depend on the cat. but quite honestly, cat's don't like change that often. They're always on high alert, and like to be in places they are familiar, to feel at ease and safe. You could try and get your cat used to traveling with you, but going off of your description of Boo, he doesn't seem like he's ready to do that. Plus you've only had him for 2 weeks so far....he probably isn't used to you all the way yet. Take it easy and make sure he feels comfortable and knows where home is, and then dabble with the idea of maybe...MAYBE taking him out. Cats are NOT like dogs. they are VERY different, the way they think, behave, perceive, and just how they are. 

luvnickles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, what did I see but an older gentleman driving an SUV this morning with a Siamese on the dashboard looking quite comfortable!  I actually had to look twice to see if i was actually seeing what I was seeing.

There is NO WAY any of my cats would ever take to a car that way and I still caution Marc999.  These cats must be the exception rather than the rule and I would suspect that they were acclimated at a young age.  But I have to say, I wouldn't have believed it unless i saw it with my own eyes!

Last edited by a moderator:

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, what did I see but an older gentleman driving an SUV this morning with a Siamese on the dashboard looking quite comfortable!  I actually had to look twice to see if i was actually seeing what I was seeing.

There is NO WAY any of my cats would ever take to a car that way and I still caution Marc999.  These cats must be the exception rather than the rule and I would suspect that they were acclimated at a young age.  But I have to say, I wouldn't have believed it unless i saw it with my own eyes!
I think seeing cats riding in cars is a lot more common than you think. I must see one or two each year. While its kind of neat to see, a cat that is loose in a car does pose a potential hazard if the driver should suddenly have to break, I will say.

I don't know of any 'rule' that says cats can't enjoy traveling in a car, unless you have some statistics in support. As a few have said and to which I am inclined to agree, it depends on the cat, but I would go further in saying, it also depends to a great degree on how they were socialized and the relationship and trust factor between the cat and owner. All of my cats are okay or better than okay, with traveling in the car. By your suggestion of the rule, one of them at least should be opposed to it. As with anything, behavior can be learned - It just depends on the willingness and patience of pet owners to work with their pet.

We don't know the relationship that Mark has with his cat and know nothing about Boo's personality. He may be a very laid back, but curious type of cat, or nervous and easily intimidated. Only Mark can make this distinction.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I think seeing cats riding in cars is a lot more common than you think. I must see one or two each year. While its kind of neat to see, a cat that is loose in a car does pose a potential hazard if the driver should suddenly have to break, I will say.

I don't know of any 'rule' that says cats can't enjoy traveling in a car, unless you have some statistics in support. As a few have said and to which I am inclined to agree, it depends on the cat, but I would go further in saying, it also depends to a great degree on how they were socialized and the relationship and trust factor between the cat and owner. All of my cats are okay or better than okay, with traveling in the car. By your suggestion of the rule, one of them at least should be opposed to it. As with anything, behavior can be learned - It just depends on the willingness and patience of pet owners to work with their pet.

We don't know the relationship that Mark has with his cat and know nothing about Boo's personality. He may be a very laid back, but curious type of cat, or nervous and easily intimidated. Only Mark can make this distinction.
I agree with you about the willingness and patience of the owners to work with their pet.  Both of my friends who I mentioned before knew from the beginning it was important for them to be able to travel with their cats and have their cats be okay with it.  So they started when they first got their cats, getting them used to cars, staying close to them, etc.  I said earlier I wished I had got our cats used to traveling with us from the beginning, but honestly, that's not the case.  I'd be too nervous about them getting away.  As you say, it depends on both the cat and the owner.

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

l think it depends on the cat. l wouldn't dream of taking my older two anywhere unless l absolutely had to. But l occasionally take the youngest one with me when l visit family, and l always stop in to visit someone when we've been to the vet. l wouldn't say it thrills him, but he's fine with it.

Some cats are naturally very sociable and very adventurous. @Bluebird Gal  's Si comes to mind
.  They enjoy a harness, enjoy car rides, enjoy other cats, other people, new situations. 

lf he's a well-grounded, naturally outgoing and relaxed cat, l think you should at least try it, in spite of his age.
It does help that they both have only known living in a house on wheels

Lots of love, reassurance & treats were the key with our older boy first.  We have been working with our little guy Monty (unfortunately due to a ton of vet visits) riding in his carrier in the car and he's way more relaxed now than the ride home from the shelter.  On that 1/2 hour ride from the shelter I had my DH pull over once because he was panting so heavily it scared me.  Now that we put Monty's fleece bed inside his carrier, he seems just fine riding in it.  Barely meows and has never panted that way again.

He is quite anxious to do whatever big brother does so I think he'll be just fine on his harness too.  Last time I had Si outside on his Monty was just howling out the window to be with us.  He's not quite ready yet as he's still acting a little wild wearing the harness in the house, but once the weather here decides to cooperate again, and with the right treats, I think he'll be out the door with us in no time.

And traveling in retirement, we have the opportunity for lots of people to meet, pet and interact with them which helps tremendously.

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I have to LOL  at this.  Even though it's certainly not the safest thing to have your cat loose inside a moving vehicle .. I had a female Siamese 20+yrs ago and she rode home, at 12wks, on my shoulder from the breeder
   She sounded like she was loosing her mind in the carrier, until I pulled into a rest area and let her roam around the car.  From that day on, anywhere I could take her with me, she like to jam herself in between my head and the headrest, laying out over my shoulder and, of course, telling me how to drive.

luvnickles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only cats I have ever had have been strays or ferals so no chance to ever work with them for traveling purposes.  It has been all I could do just to get them comfortable enough to feel that they had a good home they could trust in so I am willing to concede that there may be people and cats with the right temperament and trust combo to make traveling possible.  But I would be very cautious and make sure to take the cue from the cat.   I have heard too many stories about cats being taken out and getting loose and then getting lost. Heartbreaking stories!  If I ever get a kitten, I just might try acclimating, very carefully, to car rides...not for taking drives but for taking to my vacation home.  I always miss my cats when I go to the mountains but never considered they could come along!

emma0307

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it depends on the cat. My cat hated taking car rides, I think because he associated them with getting his shots and going to the vet. My family was going to the beach for an entire week so I the weeks before we left I would take my cat on short rides and then when we got home I would give him a treat. Eventually he realized that getting in the car didn't mean going to the vet and he was excellent the entire 9 hour car ride :) I even set up his litter box in the back of the car and when he needed to go he went with no problem. He also liked to sit between my mom and dad while they were driving and look out the window haha When we got to our beach house he didn't run or hide he just sniffed around a little bit then made himself at home :) the house had stairs which he LOVED lol I also take him to my sisters apartment and he makes himself at home there as well :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried it out - took him to my folks place. Let him roam the basement, gave him his dinner there and he ate it in front of them. So that must be a good sign.   

All went well, he went around and investigated his new surroundings, occasionally hiding if he heard a weird noise upstairs, but then would come back out when I talked to him. 

Took him back to my place afterwards, and he was just fine. A good trial run. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our Rainbow Baby, Banshee, loved going in the car. We took her everywhere....to my parents where she would play with Ebony, their Cocker spaniel. They'd spend the day play-fighting with each other, then when it got quiet, we'd find them both cuddled together back in my parents' bed. It was adorable. When we visited my parents while they were camping, Banshee came along, too. She would go with us to the stores that allowed pets (I've often wished a PetSmart would have opened while she was still alive; she would have loved going there). I even took her to my Public Speaking class in college, where my how-to topic was on grooming cats...she was my model. She went with us to family reunions, where she and I would go for walks on her leash. And she did it all in style. She was wonderful.

We got Banshee when she was about five weeks old and I started taking her with me in the car right away; her first trip was the day after she came home with us....we took her to my parents. We never had a bit of trouble with her. 

But packing for a day away with a kitty was a lot like packing for a human child. I took her food, her CatSip, her snacks, her water, plates and bowls, litter and litter box, toys. Even her favorite blankie came with us. And a pet carrier for traveling in the car. I had a large blanket that I used to cover her carrier in cold weather. I had a large bag that I stored everything in. And she knew that when I packed that bag, she was going "byes". She'd actually get excited and start meowing. I'd pack everything in the car while she watched out the window. And when I was ready to go, I'd jingle my keys and said, "Ready to go byes, Banshee?" And she'd zoom down the steps and meet me at the front door.

I think the trick is to start the cat out as a kitten. Associate the car and the traveling with good things....not just going to the vet. Associate the cat carrier with good things, too. That's half the battle right there. And I think Banshee was really too young to be really scared. I think she saw it as an adventure, so as she got older, she remained fine with traveling with me. She didn't particularly like being in the carrier, but it was safer in there for her.

I think you're off to a really great start with Boo at your parents' house! Congratulations on a job well done! Keep taking him with you routinely and don't let too much time go between visits, to keep it fresh in Boo's mind. But it sounds like he's going to do very well!

Last edited: