Boo is Pretty Darn Sick! Another foster looks bad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, the vet did fecals on him and found "bacteria" so there is obviously some problem. I could be exacerbating it by just letting him eat what I am feeding the others, I suppose. He's eaten Friskees before but I'll not be feeding the Wiskas, no way.

He is eating, both dry and wet foods, just not a lot. The no eating any wet has stopped; in fact he seems always hungry, even if he just licks it he wants to eat. He is trying.

He is just drinking up a storm still.

Tonight I put a little plain yogurt into his Merrick's Chicken Pot Pie, which he licked at. That bright red hiney can't feel good.

I am following him around cleaning up after him. He's lost 6 oz in 12 days, down to a mere 2 pounds today. He's over 12 weeks old.

His poo is so messy that it's now all over the ramp up to the new and adored covered litter box, so that's airing out and I'm washing the cover. Each and every time he seems to manage to get at least a little poo in his paws, and I don't want him licking it off; my washing his feet is not enjoyable anymore and he is fighting me. His butt was bright red after he went last time.

The vet will see him tomorrow. He started to perk up today but he still has the runs. I guess the plan is to try another medication. Funny thing is the meds are helping my two feral kittens--they are getting better. I wish I had a definite diagnosis for him.

cathyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your kitty still isn't feeling better. This is just a thought but could the medicine not be agreeing with him? I know a possible side effect is diarrhea. I would imagine animals can have similar reactions to antibiotics as humans and there have been several I have taken that have torn my stomach up. Maybe he just needs something different. Anyway, hang in there, I know it's stressful and I hope he starts feeling better soon.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's worrisome to me Cathy; thank you for mentioning that I will yak to the vet about it! Gosh the meds are supposed to STOP the diarrhea....

I wonder if they could have a urinary problem. Neither one of mine seem to be peeing very much. I compare the litter box of the two ferals and they have nice palm sized urine balls. My two make large marble sized, like walnuts.

Nursing kittens--eek. I just got out of a job of bottle feeding four newborns found floating down a river. Thank god for that; I would've done it but someone else is better right now~!

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Natalie I am SO worried about him. He is tiny already and I don't know how much longer this can go on!!!!!!!

After every little meal he eats, about 15 minutes later he gets the runs. He does keep eating and I keep feeding him small portions, but how much longer can he take it? His nose is always soaking wet and he drinks a lot, which is good I guess. Today he was sleeping on my chest and I smelled something. I had to wash off. I guess he just had a little accident on the meowmy....

Should I be giving homemade pedialyte to him too, regularly, I wonder?

The vet's office did call today while I was half asleep (I am sick too and was up all night). The receptionist told me to check back in with them on Monday. At least they are aware of Boo and concerned....

I'm giving him his Flagyl, somehow. I put it in his liquid diet this morning when he was famished and then I tried to get some in by force. He hates it of course.

Today he just looks so small to me. I guess it's because Peeka is growing, the ferals Shadow and Streak are growing but Boo isn't.

I'm trying to cheer him up too, to not let him get sad or upset. So I play with him gently all day. He's as alert and content as can be expected for a kitten who spends most of his time cleaning himself.

The two ferals did wonderfully on the Albon. They grew and became well in only three days and it's such a success story. They are ready for forever homes, finally.

So Boo is the last one to get better. I am beyond upset over this. I've been putting a tiny dollop of plain yogurt in with their food (since they eat off each other's plates. ANY advice on trying to stop his runs is appreciated still. I'll try anything.

Now to think the meds are exacerbating the problem.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Satai. Yes, I am hoping people will put a prayer out for the little sick kitten Boo.

I don't know what else to do.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't pedialyte a dairy product? Aren't most cats lactose intolerant? Maybe that stuff and the yogurt are adding to the diarrhea? What did the vet say about that kind of food for him?

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pedialyte is basically 7UP. It's water sugar, a little teensy bit of baking soda and salt. No dairy, no. But the yogurt....you are probably right.

I've been only putting a thin, smaller than a dime size amount into their food, sort of under the wet food and they end up taking a few licks at it by the time everything is eaten up.

I tried giving Pixel some and she threw it up but the kittens do not. Exceopt Boo threw it up the first time but he had a hairball in that, he hasn't thrown up since. But I"m going to stop giving it to them now completely.

I think what I will try is just feeding Boo dry food, plus a little of the boiled chicken he loves so much--I dice it up into tiny pieces for him. Just stop the wet food until he is better. If he'll eat the liquid nutrient stuff, all the better but no wet food today.

Today's plan.

cathyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry Boo isn't any better. What about trying acidophilus supplements? I was talking to a friend and she said that she had a kitten with bad diarrhea and she fed him nothing but small amounts of boiled chicken a gave him acidophilus. After a few days it went away. I know acidophilus works on humans especially if the diarrhea is being caused from antibiotics. My dad was on several antibiotics after a surgery including IV antibiotics and had the worse diarrhea I have ever seen. He had if for 2 mos. The meds not only kill the bad bacteria they also kill good bacteria which causes the stomach upset. Anyway I started him on it and within 3 days his started getting much better. I know they sell it for animals because I have seen it at pet stores. Maybe you should mention it to your vet and see what he thinks. I keep thinking about the poor little fella and so hope he gets better soon.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aren't most cats lactose intolerant? Maybe that stuff and the yogurt are adding to the diarrhea? What did the vet say about that kind of food for him?
I would stop the yogurt totally, the dairy can't be helping poor Boo's diarrhea. I think I would also stop the wet food for now & stick to dry along with the chicken. The llttle guy needs to get some bulk into his diet. I think I'd also stop the Pedyalite, too, until you get the vet's ok.
It's possible Boo's having a bad reaction to the antibiotic, too. I'd ask the vet for something different. Is he getting anything to stop the diarrhea? I had a cat with bad poops years ago, and I remember getting a pill from the vet that basically dried him up. Of course, this was so long ago that I don't have a clue what it was, but I'd definitely ask the vet for something.
Another way to check for dehydration is to look at a kitty's gums--they should be a healthy pink, not pale.
You mentioned Boo's red behind. You might want to use a warm compress on him when he's cuddling with you (just a paper towel will do, since he's having a problem keeping clean).
Does the vet know about Boo's nose being wet? When is the last time his temp was taken? The excessive thirst & the wet nose just don't sound right.
Sending big hugs to you & Boo; I know nursing a sick kitty is hard work. Hope he starts to improve soon.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll check into the acidophilus first thing in the morning, the type for animals. I've stopped wet food and the yogurt--I actually thought the yogurt would calm his inflamed bowels down a bit and his bum was only bright red for a short while after one of his runs to the litter box. I've not seen it like that since and I guess I thought a little yogurt might have helped it. Probably not, eh? I've not given him pedialyte for a couple of days at least. I see him drinking.

The vet is aware of all his symptoms including the drinking and the wet fur around his nose. I guess the tests and fecals he took just aren't making sense to him. Maybe he is allergic to something in the wet food!! Hopefully I will be able to see some improvement in him by the end of the day. He hasn't had the runs since last time he ate.

His gums look as pink as Peekas; so for now that is okay. I am glad to be reminded to check the gums. I didn't know this until recently.

I know antibiotics just ruin everything for me. I get infections and all kinds of stuff each and every time I take them.

I'm a little irritated they didn't give me something to stop his runs. Although maybe they feel whatever it is needs to run through him. I asked him should I give him Kaopectate and he said no.

Boo says thanks for the thoughts and prayers. He is playing and having fun with his friends today. We're having the ferals out into the house today for a visit.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow libby; thank you!

He's still got the runs all day on the new feeding plan. Everything is the same so far.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is sweet Boo doing today? Any plans to take him to the vet again, switching antibiotics, get meds to stop the diarrhea? I feel so bad for the little guy. I know antibiotics mess me up something fierce; as small as he is, I can't imagine what they're doing to him.
(((BIG HUGS))) to Boo & his Meowmy.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
some possible helps:
bene-bac - i gave this to Java after she had 2 rounds of antibiotics for a bacterial overgrowth that caused awful diarrhea & gas - helped her a lot!
k-pectin - this says it's safe for cats, unlike the salicylates. of course, if may not work any better than the Flagyl, & i don't know if they sell it anywhere but online.
also, i've read several places around here that canned pumpkin, unspiced of course, is good for diarrhea, & many cats actually like it.

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just found this thread now...poor little baby! =( I have very little experience with this subject, and apologise that I have no advice to offer, but I just want you to know that Boo is in my thoughts and prayers, and we're sending lots of positive and get well vibes to him!! Please give him a pet for me!

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today I am thinking about a new vet. The receptionist called today and asked how he was doing. I told her and I told her I had a cat diarrhea questionnaire (thank you libby) so I could answer anything.

At the end she said dry food only, no boiled chicken, and she'll call back tomorrow. I told her I doubted that was the problem. The thing is that no matter what he eats, be it dry, wet or chicken, about 15 minutes or less later he has the runs. Sometimes he has the runs when he hasn't eaten, or when he's nibbled on some dry, so 8 or more times a day he gets the runs.

He is acting fairly normal, but I don't trust that.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you laureen and everyone who is sending Boo vibes.

I will try a little pumpkin today though the vet would likely not want to know...

Plus I will ask about the other two treatments...

If anyone would like to see a little video of him I put two here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...04#post1312304