Boo-Boo's getting his Epogen! (Health updates)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NOW, on my way out the door to get the baby food, Mom and I both caught him curled up on his side, head laid down on its side, And he was breathing normally and deeply. What gives ya'll? This is so confusing to me. Now he's awake and he's doing the grunting thing again and breathing in short breaths. I have no idea.
Senior cats with chronic illnesses is a life on a constant roller coaster. Good days and Bad days. Good hours and bad hours even.

Boo boo was enjoying his yard today, he is not ready to go. He will tell you when he is. He will tell you when he has had enough.

Ootay lived a long time with all her problems. Megacolon, arthritis, CRF, high blood pressure, hyperthyroid disease, heart murmur and stroke.

One day as I was putting her in her carrier for yet another vet visit and blood draw she cried. Ootay never cried when I put her in her crate, so what I heard at that moment was "mommie, I'm tired, I don't want to go to the vet anymore". So that was her last visit. When we got to the vet I told my vet that I was not putting her through any more testing. I would continue at home with her fluids, and vitamin B-12 and B shots and megacolon meds, but that was all.

(She was unable to tolerate either the Norvasc for the high blood pressure or the methimazole for the hyperthyroid, that is why she had the strokes)

It wasn't the CRF that brought the end. 3 months after that last vet visit, three months of staying home and being pampered and loved by me and Tolly, and had anything her little heart desired, with no more trips to the vet, she had a third stroke. This one was severe enough that I decided it wouldn't be fair to wait and see if she would recover (she had recovered from two others, which were milder)

As I waited for the time to bring her to the vet I talked to her and told her I knew she'd had enough. I made sure the other cats, especially Tolly, said good bye. I miss her so much I am sitting here crying.

Booboo will tell you. And Coco will too. Just listen to them. Make sure you aren't keeping them for yourself. They will tell you. Hugs to you both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you Otto for sharing that. I will certainly heed your advice. I have been listening to him.

It's so hard. I am skipping fluids today to see if it helps his breathing. The vet said he was not dehydrated (But all CRF cats are always a little dehydrated) He may not have fluid in his lungs but I am wondering about around his lungs/heart now. Last time this happened he was sitting up constantly (to keep the fluid away from his heart, presumably) but he is not sitting up this time. But when he is asleep he is breathing fine.

He has eaten the rest of a half of jar of Roast Beef baby food and has finished a half jar of Turkey baby food this morning. He was really pigging out
He drank water but once back downstairs just sat there like "blah, I'm tired." so I picked him up and put him in his box. He peed over the course of last night but no poopies yet. He hasn't wanted to go outside but of course I haven't opened the door and windows up like I do when I get home from work. It is nice and cool so I may see if he wants to do that. It seemed like the sunshine really helped him yesterday. Anyone have any info on what Vitamin D helps in a CRF cat? I know we get it from Sunshine ... he doesn't lay in windows or anything, so he gets little really.

Besides this it is a waiting game. He's eating really well (refused his Hi Tor so ... HA! Screwed that up but he is eating really really well!) and I'm shocked he loves the baby food so much. I think I will skip the Pet Tinic too today, just to give him a break, and while skipping both at the same time may not tell me exactly what it is if he gets better, I wouldn't think Pet Tinic would have anything to do with this.

He needs protein though. I've known that for awhile but it's such a balancing act. And yes, I know it's a rollercoaster. I was hoping for a longer up than this quickly approaching down, though. :T

Thank you all so much for spending your time reading and responding to Boo's health issues. It really means a lot to me. I've said it before but you're the only group of people who care to hear it and who've kept me fighting for him, and given me some extremely good information. Thank you so much and blessings to you and your babies

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am really scared. I don't know what to do so I'm calling the vet. They work saturdays. His breathing sounds even more labored and short, but he is purring while he breathes. He is switching his tail around annoyedly. I'm afraid to mess with him as every time I try he gets even more exasperated. His eyes are squinted, third lids are showing and he is sliding is eyes around strangely. Calling the vet.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And off topic, but did someone say they used Norvasc, my mother was just put on it to get her BP down even further and I thought I saw someone say their cat had a stroke (not because of the norvasc probably or I may even be getting posts mixed up sorry) just curious ... waiting on the vet to call. Boo took a swipe at me when I tried to give his fluids. Will try again in a few minutes. Today may be the day he gives up his fight. He does not seem like himself and Chickie Sue cried at him a few minutes ago.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco is on Norvasc but she is at the highest dose she can be at so thurs another bp med will be added.
Prayers for this not to be the end for Boo.
Coco has been breathing like that also sometimes and she coughs.
The vet said to back off the fluids because it is to much for her lungs.
Maybe he has a cold.
Can you try a vaporizer?
The vet told me to get one today for Coco.
Is Boo coughing also?

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No he is not coughing. He is not breathing through his mouth either. The vet called back and I mentioned having some buprenex, and he told me to give him 1 syringe (Just a couple drops in each syringe, very low dose) today and 1 tomorrow and to call back Monday. He said his breathing is because of his high numbers, but if his gums are pink then he should be OK at least until Monday. If said if they go blue I have to get him to an ER clinic. I guess that is heart failure?

He is sleeping now but still breathing fast. I am kind of worried maybe he caught something from one of the outside cats. She has a cough and a lot of sneezing and constantly sounds congested. He hasn't been in actual contact with her, so I don't know how it'd happen. I don't know.

I am calmed down now and all I can do is wait and keep giving him food and water. I gave him 50mL earlier, and the vet said at Friday's visit not to back off of Boo's fluids, he wasn't be overhydrated but he was NOT comfortable RX'ing more than 100mL a day, so I may just stick with the 50 today and see. Getting that "maybe I should maybe I shouldn't" thing, so I am leaving him alone to rest.

Thank you all so much. I will get him to the vet ASAP monday and have her do a full check out on him. I have to know what is going on here and why this just happened all of the sudden, out of the blue.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he have heart problems?
Is his nose stuffed at all.
My Coco ha a stuffed nose and the vet said to get saline nose drops and put them in her nose so she breathes better.
I hope Boo will be ok until monday.
Cocos bun is up to 88 now.
I hope his numbers come down.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hoping this is just a "down day(s)" for Boo and not the end. He's been through something similar to this before, hasn't he, and come back with flying colors? So no reason to think differently now, is there? He's probably just not feeling well, maybe because of the sudden change in diet (to the baby food).

There have been times when we thought Sven was taking his last breath, literally, and then he surprised us to kept on fighting. Just a few hours ago he was upchucking, and now he's lying here right next to me just talking away, and purring so loud the room's vibrating
. You just can't figure 'em out, particularly healthwise, since they're so good at hiding things.

As to your question about Vitamin D, isn't it good for every living thing? I say, if he wants to go outside, and he seems to enjoy it, let him, as long as you're there with him to "protect him".

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
His nose is not stuffed up and he has no congestion. Vet said his lungs sound fine too. Yes, I will let him go outside as much as he wants. I took him out earlier but he sat there like he was just... dazed and didn't want to move. It's raining now, (Was wet on the porch earlier too and he doesn't like getting his feet wet) He is resting now. Doesn't want anything to eat. I only gave him the baby food starting on Friday, and his breathing problems started on Thursday, but yes, the baby food could be causing tummy upset. I gave him pepcid earlier.

We will see. He is watching us walk by and if Mom and I talk he looks up, so... hopefully just a passing thing. His breath only vaguely smells like ammonia. It is not nearly as strong as it was at all. In fact I can barely smell it really.

No heart problems either.

I hope Coco's numbers come down too, Mews. I guess every cat is different. BUN levels seem to affect them all differently. Boo was great at 77 except for that tooth issue, and vets have told me some don't do well at even 60.

Going to try to take a nap and leave him be. I gave him 50mL of fluids and will check him later for any left over. Thank you all <3

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well we just had his PCV done Friday and the vet said it was at 20%. He was at 19% since we started with the new vet and has been fine. The vet (the male one I saw) is sure it is his kidneys failing further and he has too much toxin in his blood.

Mews, I also have Hi Tor which Boo is not eating, if you would like me to ship you some just PM me and I will ship you a few cans to see if Coco likes it, if you want, if not that's cool. But I have some to spare.

I am wondering about something and getting ready to do some research and will update later if anything comes back curious about lactic acidosis.

Boo is breathing easier this morning and ate some baby food and drank a good amount of water from a coffee cup, filtered refrigerator water, and he is not grunting audibly right now constantly. He is still breathing a tad quick. I am going to give 50mL (or see how far I can get before he swats me) and check his pouch and his skin tent.

How long should fluids last under the skin after you give them, in terms of hours? Or is every cat different? I forgot to ask that AGAIN at the vet.

Mom said he started breathing easier last night, went pee twice and drank water. So we will see. I am hoping this was just a bad day. Off to research. Thank you all so much

EDIT: No, he doesn't have lactic acidosis. I was reading over the LRS bag again and it said not for use in lactic acidosis circumstances, but Boo has Metabolic acidosis. Tanya's CRF Site mentions bicarbonate of soda (Baking Soda) but I have to talk to the vet first before I use that

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep meaning to ask this: what is PCV?

Each cat will absorb their fluids at a different individual rate.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry. PCV is Packed Cell Volume or his Hct. On the old copies from the old vet of his test results it is printed like "Hct 13 %PCV" And his is now at 20.

I'm sorry guys.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Boo's not doing well at all this morning and has an appt at 10 to see his regular Dr. Pierce. Mom said he was wheezing bad last night and this morning I came home she said he was in the tub, I went to the bathroom and didn't see him there, and turned around and he was laying on the rug exhausted. I put him back in his box and am going to go baby him until we get to the vet. He does not look or sound good at all.

Mom said he tried to go pee last night and only 3 drops came out.

Will update after vet.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to tell you all that Boo passed peacefully at the vet's office approximately 10:15 AM EST. I was holding him in my arms and he went very peacefully. I thank you for all your kind words and help throughout the entire length of his illness and I will put something in Rainbow Bridge shortly.

In short, his body had given out and Boo had had enough. He had no energy left, his fur wouldn't grow, his kidneys were kaput, and his little soul was tired. So he is buried in a beautiful spot in my back garden and I am carving a headstone for him. The vet was so very sweet and gave me a beautiful cardboard casket to put him in. He has his favorite comfy blanket. I gave chickster the opportunity to smell him and see him, but she growled and ran away.

Again, thank you for all your kindness. Additionally, I have 1 bag of unopened LRS fluid if anyone is in need of it, and a fresh box of Terumo needles 19G, and a box of 20G Terumo needles as well, but not a full box of those. Just PM me. If no one needs them I will donate them to Oldtown Vet for someone there to use.
I miss you Boo

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my God... I am so sorry... This is so hard to read... I am sorry for your loss honey... Boo is now out of pain... He knows how much you loved him, and he will always be with you... in your heart, in your memories... Hang in there

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<sobbing> I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved Booboo. You stood by him and did what was best for him right up to the very end. I loved him too.

He is in good company at the Bridge.
Booboo.