Bonded Kittens that will be separated

smilexcindy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I have a 6 month old kitten and this summer I fostered my friend's kitten who is 5 months. They have become the best of friends always playing with each other, grooming each other, sleeping near each other, and got spayed together. I notice that when I transport them to my car I take them one at a time because it is difficult to carry them both on top of the litter box. What I've noticed is that if I take one out the other will start meowing a bunch and I'm assuming it's because they miss each other. 

When summer ends my friend's kitten will go back to her new home with her real owner and my kitten will stay with me. I'm worried that they are too bonded and taking one away from each other will be traumatic. 

1) Are these signs of bonded kittens?

2) What can I do to reduce the stress?

3) Is their reaction of meowing a sign of stress?

I know I do have the option of adopting another kitten to give my kitten another playmate however, realistically I do not have the ability to raise 2 kittens as I still have a couple more years in college and also a kitten requires a lot of attention so two could be overwhelming and I would hate to take a new kitten and not be able to be responsible for him/her.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I would really appreciate some advice (:

cattilac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I realize that it could be more work to adopt another kitten but sometimes the effort and work are worth it to see them happy. They have a companion when you are gone and that keeps them content. Would your friend consider letting you adopt her kitten and her get another one?
I guess that depends on how bonded she is with her kitten. I have 11 cats and no way did I plan that! I am almost 65 and have health problems but they are worth it. I rescued most of them and could never find anyone that I thought would care for them as good as I do.