Bonded kittens- neuter /spay question

Mocha-oreo-marshmallow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been taking care of a litter of 3 kittens who were born in my garden gazebo by a feral or stray mother , I been using the gazebo as a shelter for them and putting food and water there . their mother disappeared when they turned 5 months old , now their 9 months old and I want to get each of them operated spay/neutered and then return them back to the gazebo shelter . There's other cats who show up to eat too .
The only thing that I'm worried is that the 3 siblings are bonded to each other ,,,, I'm not sure if I should get them operated at the same time and recover in my home or each one at a time every 2 weeks I'll operate one and return them back to my gazebo . I heard their scent will change and they may not recognize each other ? Or if I remove 3 of them for 2 weeks for recovery will they remember the gazebo is their territory or will the other new cats come fight them for the territory . If they will be with me for 2 weeks . This is new for me I don't know who to ask .Or can I operate one at a time every 2 weeks ? But how can i have them recognize each other when they are fully recovered . I don't want their bond to break if their scent will change .I'm the only human they trust and come to be cuddled .. anyone else they run and hide . I'm not sure if they are considered feral or stray .

Their names : Marshmallow (male)
Oreo (female )
Mocha (female &the runt of the litter )

I would appreciate any help please

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, welcome! I think I'd try and have them done at the same time. They'll remember the gazebo. However, they may need to be kept from jumping etc as much as possible so you might need to keep the girls especially in your home for a bit.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My outside cats are released the morning after their surgery. I have never had a problem. Since they have minimal contact with humans it is lower stress for them than being in a house they have never been in. Is there a reason to keep them for two weeks? two -three days would be plenty. Go by how they act. If at all possible get them all neutered/spayed at once, then they would all smell alike. i just brought in who I could catch, and they didn't fight at all when i brought them back. I put the 3 traps out about two weeks in advance to get them used to eating in the trap, starting with the food right outside and every couple of days moving it deeper in the trap. I used the door propped open with a bottle method and a long string attached. The bottle should be near the door from day one to get them used to it. This way I had more control over who I caught. once I did pull all three strings at once. but usually, a cat that had already been fixed went into the trap and i had to wait for one that wasn't spayed. It is stressful for YOU on trapping day, but so worth it. you don't need twenty more cats. Good luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get them done all at once, especially as the females are likely to get pregnant any day now that they are 9 months old. Keep them inside as long as you feel necessary. Are they tame?

Thank you for caring for them. Let us know how this goes!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking such good care of these kittens! They are adorable. I agree with the previous posts: get the neutering/spaying done at the same time if at all possible. You noted that these three kittens trust you and come to be cuddled. Could you adopt them and keep them as indoor cats?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All at once sounds right to me. They may be able to stay in a recovery room together in your home.

They will have pain medication so might be sleepier and less likely to escape predators during that time. Since they trust you, I think they can be kept inside for a few weeks. You can judge based on recovery time and their stress.

If you find they enjoy inside, you may be able to keep them in yourself or adopt them out! Either way, great job on your work!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh they are so adorable!
I personally would get them done all at once. If you do one kitten at a time, the first kitten will go to the vets and the two others will be wondering where he or she is. Then that kitten will come home smelling different, and another kitten will disappear leaving one kitten wondering why one sibling disappeared and came home smelling weird and why the other sibling suddenly disappeared, etc. I think the stress on them would be a lot less if they all got done at the same time. Also, it would be a lot less on you, too.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely the same time - they’ll all have the same “Been to the vets” smell also.