Boarding Poll

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sshapkido

I've never heard of a boarding place that has 24 hour supervision, but perhaps some of them do.
yes this boarding facility is directly in their home - so unless the owners are sleeping, the cats are supervised.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by merlynn's mom

b/c it's 5 days, I voted for keeping them in cat-proofed rooms.

I am going away for 4 days in July and my mom has so graciously accepted to take care of my two fur children. She is a dog person, but she knows how much I love these kids and she will take very good care of them. She has been in the house before to feed them if I work late so they are familiar with her. That's important too...that your neighbor come over a few times so your cats get used to his/her scent and him/her being around, especially with Stoli.

In December, however, I will be out of town for 9 days, so I have put a deposit down for the cattery in town. They are a cats-only resort that provides 24-hour supervision, two treats a day, they will feed on your schedule and will feed your food (as long as you provide it if they don't carry it), play time 1-2 times a day in a huge play room, extra-large condos with "floor-to-ceiling" windows that overlook their gardens with a fountain, pond and fish! I have left Merlynn there before for a long vacation and she was exhausted and happy to be home. They told me she LOVED to play so they gave her extra play time. They seem to be very adamant about keeping things clean and sterile so as not to share germs. They also keep the cats separate, never together. And they offer double condos with privacy doors and small hiding house-type things (only 3 - so that's why I put my deposit already) so both of my cats can stay together.

Sorry I went on for so long! As long as your comfortable leaving them at home and can enjoy your vacation, then that's the way to go!
gosh i'm going to really have to think about this - your place sounds just like my place. . . .i want to do what's best for stoli - your comment really makes me think they just might be best at the boarding place.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, who voted for me to stay home!!!!!!!!!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a good (professional) cat sitter, and have left our crew in her care for as much as ten days. She's licensed, bonded and insured, and qualified in pet first aid. We've been totally delighted with her care, and each time we go away the kitties get closer to her. Fawn, being the perpetual kitten, made up to her almost immediately. Cindy, who is very shy with strangers, is becoming more friendly. Suzy hides no matter who comes in that isn't us, so as long as Debbie gets a sighting here and there and the food disappears at a reasonable rate, that's all that can be expected.

My preference has always been to leave my kitties on their own turf, with things as close to normal as possible, and it seems to work for them, whether the person who tends them is family, friend, neighbour, or professional. We've had all of those at one time or another, but these days family, friends and neighbours aren't really an option, and we've enjoyed the professional relationship that makes it possible to ask exactly what you want of the sitter, instead of tippy-toeing around negotiating the cats' needs against the friend's plans/schedule. As long as the sitter is licensed, bonded and insured, and you get decent references, there shouldn't be a problem with letting them into your home.

FWIW

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to petsit. I think it is way less stress on them and less risky to stay at home. I'm making this decision too, I've found somebody who I trust and who likes cats who can do it for me for a week. I just feel so much more comfortable with that because if something does happen, my neighbors can be on the lookout, like if there's a fire my landlord knows about Zissou. Plus I know she's not getting any diseases here.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

We will be gone from Early Monday morning to Late Friday night.

what do you think?
1. board them, they'll have 24 hour supervision
2. keep them home in cat proofed rooms with someone coming over to feed and clean them
3. keep them home and have free reign of the house, they won't get outside, you are being paranoid.
4. are you kidding? you can't take a vacation with kitties, STAY HOME
i voted for 3, because that's what i do. but 2 is a good choice, as well. either of those, i would be comfortable with.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate the thought of leaving my cat home alone. He is an "only" and used to me being home all day with him. I don't think I could every leave him home alone for a week. I also don't really like people coming in and out of my house (I am afraid they may leave a door open or unlocked).

So... he stays at my parent's house. I take him for mini-visits so he gets used to it pretty quick.

We also have a "cat hotel" near me so if I ever go somewhere and my parents aren't available I may leave him there.

At least your kitties have eachother to keep them company.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since you have more than one, I think leaving them at home with a trusted neighbor coming over is fine, but I agree with some of the other posters, bring the neighbor over a few times so the kitties can meet and get used to her. if you are worried about one or both getting out, then leaving them in the spacious rooms you mentioned should be fine. They'll probably be more comfortable, especially the anxious one.

I usually leave my kitties at home home, but I've only been gone about 2 days at a time. If you were going away for quite a bit of time, like two weeks or more, then I'd consider boarding.

Tricia