Bo

mcfarjul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This has happened before to Bo, pinched spinal nerves is what they call it? I thought we got that all sorted out couple years ago, but last month it came back. Luckily we had the right meds to help him. But we try to limit how much he jumps.
What is pinched nerves? Why does my cat have it?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A pinched nerve is when something in our bodies puts pressure on a nerve. Nerves are what our bodies feel things with. They send information to our brains that things are hot, cold or pain or other things.

Sometimes muscles swelling can cause a pinch!

Pinched Nerve: Symptoms, Treatment & Surgery | Advanced Neurosurgery

in the spine, there are also things called disks. These disks protect the bones in our spine from rubbing together. Sometimes, they can swell and pinch a nerve, or sometimes they can slip out of place and pinch a nerve.

Usually, it is genetic, meaning for some people (and cats!) it may just happen, and there's no way to control it. It's just the way that some people are made, just like some people can't walk and use a wheelchair because of a genetic condition.

You can learn more about the spine here:Your Bones (for Kids) - Nemours KidsHealth

People like to think that with diet, safety and exercise, that poor or different health is all avoidable. Unfortunately, that's not completely true. Sometimes things just happen, and that's okay! It just means we have to be mindful that different people (or cats!) have different needs. When your cat's back does this, she will need medication and rest.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes when this happens, the body self corrects the issue and things return to normal. All it takes is a little tweak and it can happen again (with a cat, this probably happened while jumping up or down). This sounds like what happened to Bo. Hopefully it will self correct once more with rest and possibly some anti inflammatory meds.

I've had this happen to me before and it usually self corrects within a week or two, but I am able to do certain stretches to help it out. Not sure you can get a cat to cooperative that way.