Blue Russian Kitten

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As hard as it is, you have to let him come to you.  Act like you're not interested in holding or petting him and sit on the floor near him.  He'll come to you when he feels like he's not being forced.  You can continue to give him treats and to play with him in the meantime, but only pet him when he comes to you first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

somayeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He does come to me, but if he seems my hand move, he moves away. So I don't get the chance to pet him when he comes to me.

Even when I give him treats and want to pet him, he moves away.

He doesn't lick my hands as much as he did since arriving yesterday, he just moves away.

He did let me warm him with my hand last night and stroke him when he was dozing off in my bed though which was nice. 

Generally he likes to hand around my feet/legs, but not on them. He doesn't make  any physical contact, he just likes to use them as shelter lol like he's currently doing as I type this:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's feeling out the situation still.  The fact that he wants to be close to you is a great sign.  He'll start nuzzling your hand when he's ready to be pet.  

somayeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: he just came up to me and purred! I petted him and I feel much closer to him now!

Hopefully it'll continue. Thanks everyone!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Kola sound like he's settling well and feeling his way round what his new life with you involves.  He is a little baby still and his world has just been turned upside down.   One thing that's different about you to all the other people who have ventured in to his life since he moved in with you is - you moved him away from his last home / fur family.  If you put him in his little carrier and then brought him to his new home he will remember you picking him up and doing this.  He will have some re-learning to do about what your approaches mean.  And yes, he can feel threatened if you are looking at him and moving toward him and wanting to pet and stroke him.   It is one of the hardest things about when you first bring a little kitten home but you do have to wait for them to move in on you (or not - and with Mouse it was a case of not).   Mouse was not a lap kitten or young cat but made it very easy for me to rub his belly.  The closest I got to him cuddling in on me was if he wrapped himself round one of my feet.  View media item 326535   I think he is watching you!   

Beware, his position there looks very like what Mouse would be like before launching himself at my head.  

I think Kola still has his kitten fur and you should see it change over the coming weeks - hopefully so that the stripes fade and remain only feintly on his limbs and tail with solid consistent colour everywhere else.  The texture should change too so that the length of the fur is more even, the longer guard hairs be less evident and the coat as a whole feel more dense as a result.      

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like things are going great! One little tip that I like to use is when you're petting him, start off with one or two fingers and gently stroke from the tip of his nose backwards. This is how mother cats will start a grooming session with their kittens, so it's a very comforting and familiar sensation.

somayeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your support and tips guys! :)

somayeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also for those who want to keep up with Kola, I've mad an Instagram account for him: @kola_the_cat