Blue Cheese

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite salad dressing is Blue Cheese, I just love it. A lot of restaurants tho do not make it all that well. The best I have eaten is Marie's Blue Cheese dressing in a jar at Shoprite where I do my grocery shopping. It is delish.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm now officially addicted to Blue Cheese!!

I buy it a couple times per month, and I even buy the salad dressing too!

For some reason this cheese doesn't affect me adversely (I'm lactose intolerant), maybe because it's an aged cheese.

All I know is that I can't get enough of this stuff!!

Who knew that one day I'd say that I like eating mould!
You know what is interesting? I have learned from my food microbiology class that cheese does not cause the lactose intolerance symptoms because the lactose has already been broken down in the fermentation process by the bacteria lactobacillus. One of my assignments last semester was the fermentation of blue cheese. You could say that after I finished, I wanted to go and eat some!!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Really Kellye? You just made my day!

Of course, I never let my lactose intolerance get in the way eating cheese, but that is good to know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

You know what is interesting? I have learned from my food microbiology class that cheese does not cause the lactose intolerance symptoms because the lactose has already been broken down in the fermentation process by the bacteria lactobacillus. One of my assignments last semester was the fermentation of blue cheese. You could say that after I finished, I wanted to go and eat some!!!
I have to disagree with you. Cheese slices, cheddar, mozzarella, cream cheese, cottage cheese and some others.....all will have me doubled over in horrific stomach cramps and running to the bathroom with explosive diarrhea.

Real Feta made from goat's milk doesn't do that. Neither does Blue Chesse for some reason.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I have to disagree with you. Cheese slices, cheddar, mozzarella, cream cheese, cottage cheese and some others.....all will have me doubled over in horrific stomach cramps and running to the bathroom with explosive diarrhea.

Real Feta made from goat's milk doesn't do that. Neither does Blue Chesse for some reason.
Then you may have an allergy to dairy. It is a common misconception that cheese causes lactose intolerance when it itself has low quantities. Believe me, I study microbiology and have learned this. Cheese is one of the few foods I can enjoy in the dairy category.

http://www.indiadiets.com/diets/Eat%...ntolerance.htm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Then you may have an allergy to dairy. It is a common misconception that cheese causes lactose intolerance when it itself has low quantities. Believe me, I study microbiology and have learned this. Cheese is one of the few foods I can enjoy in the dairy category.

http://www.indiadiets.com/diets/Eat%...ntolerance.htm
Sorry, I still disagree with you. I know my symptoms. They are exactly the same when I have regular milk instead of lactaid milk.

I can tolerate some low fat yogurt, usually about 1/2 cup without it affecting me, any more and I'm living in the bathroom. Regular dairy milk, sour cream, and most cheeses, send me into horrid abdominal cramping and diarrhea. That's no allergy. It's an intolerance. If I don't each cheese, I'm fine...I eat it and I'm crampy. If I don't drink milk I'm fine. If I drink lactaid milk I'm fine. If I drink regular cows milk I'm crampy, bloated and having diarrhea.

And the link you provided says:

Cheese

* Cheese may be better tolerated than milk due to a lower lactose content.
* Cheese is also well-tolerated because during the cheese-making process, most of the whey is removed (and the lactose with it). In mature, ripened cheese, lactose disappears entirely within three to four weeks.
* Specific kinds of cheese which you can reasonably expect to tolerate fairly well include cheddar, Colby, Swiss, Parmesan and cottage cheese.

It isn't guaranteed.

I'm not going to argue this fact with you. I know how my body reacts to dairy and I adjust my diet accordingly.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Love blue cheese! DH will make me burgers with mushrooms and blue cheese. And I have an awesome recipe for pork chops with a blue cheese sauce. Yum!

I love Magtag the most, followed by a good gorgonzola. I would never eat blue cheese until my best friend talked me into it one time. Wow, just wow. Good stuff.