Blue buffalo

bluesmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Who feeds their kitten blue buffalo? My 9 month old is on diamond naturals and he's having tummy issues with it so we need to change him. The internet swears by blue buffalo but I'm not sure. Why is there so much fruits in it? I thought cats didn't need fruits and veggies or am I wrong? lol
Opinions on which foods work bet for those who have kittens or cats with food sensitivities. Thanks

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are going with Blue, I use the dry Blue Buffalo Basics duck food, and it seems to work well for my cat who was having vomiting issues, as well as my other cat who had frequent loose stools as a kitten. I do feed canned as well, but not Blue. There have been a lot of complaints about Blue online (check out consumer affairs), but they seem to mostly be about dogs. I guess you have to do what works for your cat.

felineempathy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't have a sensitive stomach but my brother's cat does.  He experimented quite a bit with different brands of foods.  By the way he only eats dry because he's picky and doesn't like wet food.  One of the only foods he can eat without vomiting is Halo's Spot's Stew Chicken Recipe.  My brother did try some of the Blue Buffalo foods but his cat vomited after eating them.

Usually when you see fruits and veggies in food, it's mostly used as fillers.  They won't hurt your cat but it seems like unnecessary ingredients since cat's are carnivores and need meat.  I think companies do that because they can't afford to have no fillers (more meat in bag and can) and consumers can't afford it either because no fillers means the food will get expensive.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some fillers can be harmful to cats: one of ours is sensitive to potato. It makes her vomit. I've noticed that a few other Cat Site members have said their cats have similar reactions to potato. My view of potatoes and peas in cat food is that they are empty, carby calories for cats. (When I told our vet we'd cut out all foods with potato because of Edwina's vomiting, she said something like, "potato shouldn't be in cat food, anyway!")

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluesmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, we will attempt to try Blue Buffalo and see how that does with him!

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And Halo Spot's Stew lamb. My sensitive cat is able to keep the Halo down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluesmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm in Canada and Halo isn't offered here. I decided to try Purina One smartblend kitten dry food (pink bag)

felineempathy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also since you're in Canada, you should have easy access to Orijen.  That's very popular and considered one of the best because they get fresh caught meat and fish delivered everyday to their factory.

It's technically limited ingredient with very little fillers which is good for the digestive system.  In my opinion, Blue Buffalo doesn't compare to Orijen at all.

Nature's Variety is also high quality.  They have limited ingredient recipes as well.

Last edited: