Blue Buffalo

simbathecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just read this and panicked because I have been feeding my kitten blue buffalo and he loves it.  He is only 4 months old. Have had him for 1 1/2 months.

Can anyone please provide me an alternative wet food for him.  

I am going to get home after work and return those cans.  

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just read this and panicked because I have been feeding my kitten blue buffalo and he loves it.  He is only 4 months old. Have had him for 1 1/2 months.

Can anyone please provide me an alternative wet food for him.  

I am going to get home after work and return those cans.  
I am not sure if these are appropriate for kittens but here a few really good brands 
Natures Variety Instinct

Natures Logic

Hound & Gatos 

Zwipeak 

Addiction

simbathecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I am not sure if these are appropriate for kittens but here a few really good brands 
Natures Variety Instinct

Natures Logic

Hound & Gatos 

Zwipeak 

Addiction
Thank you so much. I am going to buy these brands see how Simba likes them.  

Thanks again.

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would add Nutro Natural Choice to that list also....depending on where you live, it may be a little easier to find than some that 2Cats4Me listed and it's not quite as expensive as Natures Variety Instinct or Zwipeak  although it only comes in the 3 oz cansPetsmart often has it on sale for $1.00 per canThey do have one kitten food (canned)....Kitten Soft Loaf Chicken.  It is a pate (don't know if texture is an issue for your kitten).  Great ingredients and most cats love it.  I've never tried Addiction or Nature's Logic because no where here sells them.  My two inside guys hated Hounds and Gatos and even the three outside semi-feral cats wouldn't eat it!!!  My guys didn't much like Zwipeak either so I tried those two brands and discarded them from the list to add to the rotation although some cats do love those brands, so if your stores carry them, they are worth trying for sure.    I do feed Natures Variety Instinct canned and they like it pretty good....that's also the brand of dry food I use for the small amount of dry they get.  Since I've never fed Blue Buffalo, I don't know it's cost, but if cost is an issue, there's really nothing wrong with feeding Fancy Feast Classics and/or Sheba Pate.  They aren't the absolute best foods, but  a lot better than some of the supposedly "premium" brands that have alot of "fillers"  and high carb vegetables and fruits. 

Nutro Natural Choice Kitten Soft Loaf Chicken Ingredients

Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Pork Broth, Natural Flavors, Guar Gum, Minerals (Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Sodium Phosphate, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Salt, Taurine

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.)13.00%
Crude Fat (min.)6.00%
Crude Fiber (max.)1.00%
Moisture (max.)78.00%
Ash (Max)3.50%

felineempathy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would recommended Nutro Natural Choice minced flavors.   I think some of the loaf recipes have carrageenan in them.  My cat loves the minced chicken and turkey flavors though, I give them to her on a regular basis.  Over here in WA State, Petco has them for $1 a can as well....I've been really taking advantage of that lately.

Last edited:

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Nutro Natural Choice chunky chicken and chunky turkey do not have carrageenan.     It's a great food.  No unneccessary fillers.     Give it a try.  

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats love the Nutro Natural choice minced chicken and sliced turkey and like the chunky loaf chicken pretty well, too. None of those have carrageenan. They're good caloric foods that I know they'll eat, so they're perfect to feed before bed.

felineempathy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh here are the ones that have carrageenan in them:

Chunky loafs (Adult): salmon & tuna and salmon & duck

Soft Loafs (Adult): catfish, cod & catfish, duck, turkey & cod, and turkey

Soft Loafs (Senior): cod

So basically most of them containing fish (except soft loaf turkey, duck), which most owners on here barely feed their cats anyway.

Last edited:

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
btw, I recommend buying Nutro Natural Choice from Amazon with their subscribe & save program.    I save 15% on a case so I pay $23/$24 & change for a case.   Chewy.coms price just went up to something like $27.99

Last edited:

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

You don't need to be a Prime member to use S&S but depending on the price of the order, you may not get the free shipping. I think it's $35 to get the free shipping for non Prime buyers.
Correct. You don't need to be a Prime member to use Subscribe and Save.   If I'm not mistaken also any item you subscribe to is also free shipping.  I don't think you need to reach $35 for subscribe and save. 

In order to get the 15% off you need to subscribe to 5 items or more.  If you subscribe to less you get 5% off.    Its easier enough to find 5 items.  I wish they had more cat food in the program but they have a few my cats eat.  

I subscribe to 2 flavors of Natural Choice.  Natures Variety Instinct. They also have stuff like Pride, Red Barn, Sheba in the program.   They also have some cat treats so I do 2 flavors of Pure Bites. They have the larger dog variety bags so I get those.  They have some other stuff I use all the time so its easier enough to find 5 items.  If you us the Little Genie for the cat litter they have the bags much cheaper then you'd find in stores.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Correct. You don't need to be a Prime member to use Subscribe and Save.   If I'm not mistaken also any item you subscribe to is also free shipping.  I don't think you need to reach $35 for subscribe and save. 

In order to get the 15% off you need to subscribe to 5 items or more.  If you subscribe to less you get 5% off.    Its easier enough to find 5 items.  I wish they had more cat food in the program but they have a few my cats eat.  

I subscribe to 2 flavors of Natural Choice.  Natures Variety Instinct. They also have stuff like Pride, Red Barn, Sheba in the program.   They also have some cat treats so I do 2 flavors of Pure Bites. They have the larger dog variety bags so I get those.  They have some other stuff I use all the time so its easier enough to find 5 items.  If you us the Little Genie for the cat litter they have the bags much cheaper then you'd find in stores.
Yes , Amazon Subscribe & Save is free shipping .  I like that .  However check your account before every shipping because Amazon has a habit of changing prices frequently . It is very annoying .. It has happened to me a couple of times but I still like the option .

Last edited:

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yes , Amazon Subscribe & Save is free shipping .  I like that .  However check your account before every shipping because Amazon has a habit of changing prices frequently . It is very annoying ..
It hasn't happen to a lot of my items on Amazon but just last week it happen to 4 of my items I had in my cart at Chewy.  Of course, all the prices went up.  The never go down!  

Their Nutru Natural Choice chunky turkey went up to 27.99, Fancy Feast turkey & giblet went up to 17.99.  I can find cheaper elsewhere.   There's a store nearby where I can get that same cast of FF for 13.99.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It hasn't happen to a lot of my items on Amazon but just last week it happen to 4 of my items I had in my cart at Chewy.  Of course, all the prices went up.  The never go down!  

Their Nutru Natural Choice chunky turkey went up to 27.99, Fancy Feast turkey & giblet went up to 17.99.  I can find cheaper elsewhere.   There's a store nearby where I can get that same cast of FF for 13.99.
They must watch each other because Chewy & Amazon seem to have exactly the same price on some things ..  Yeah , I love Amazon but  you just have to watch the prices .

The Precious Cat  cat litter I buy fluctuates from  $14.81 to $ 37.99  for a 40 lb bag .. I do not buy it on Amazon but I just like reading the reviews . 

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes , Amazon Subscribe & Save is free shipping .  I like that .  However check your account before every shipping because Amazon has a habit of changing prices frequently . It is very annoying .. It has happened to me a couple of times but I still like the option .
It is free standard shipping. I don't know how long that takes.  All the items I have in my S&S are Prime items so I get the free 2 day shipping. Prime is worth every cent, IMO. If you have someone in your family who is a student with a .edu email address, you can get the Amazon Prime student and I think it's half price or so. I'd still pay full price if I had to though.

The Dr. Elsey's litter is not available for S&S. I wish it was. I have probably 30 or so items in my S&S that get rotated in and out depending on what I need. I need to do that soon.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It is free standard shipping. I don't know how long that takes.  All the items I have in my S&S are Prime items so I get the free 2 day shipping. Prime is worth every cent, IMO. If you have someone in your family who is a student with a .edu email address, you can get the Amazon Prime student and I think it's half price or so. I'd still pay full price if I had to though.

The Dr. Elsey's litter is not available for S&S. I wish it was. I have probably 30 or so items in my S&S that get rotated in and out depending on what I need. I need to do that soon.
Shipping from Amazon  reg or S&S  takes normally  up to  a week for where I live .. 

Yeah , that S&S is a great deal if you buy a lot each month . Too bad they did not offer it on more items .

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Shipping from Amazon  reg or S&S  takes normally  up to  a week for where I live .. 

Yeah , that S&S is a great deal if you buy a lot each month . Too bad they did not offer it on more items .
I use mine for other stuff too for my daughter and me. There is actually a ton of stuff that you van use the S&S for. That's why I have so many items in mine and I skip the ones I don't need and add the ones I do.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats don't like the Blue Buffalo canned, but they seem to like and do well on the dry Blue Basics duck. I feed them other brands of canned food also.

Last edited:

simbathecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Natures Variety Instinct

Natures Logic

Hound & Gatos 

Zwipeak 

Addiction
Thank you all so much for the tips.  I changed my kittens food to Natures Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Turkey and he absolutely loves it. 

My other babies not so much. :(

Right now they are in a Purina Pro Plan diet.  And I think they are not budging to change.