Blue Buffalo Spa Select

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got my free sample of Blue Buffalo Spa Select in the mail today. I immediately poured it into a bowl for Jerry and Nimbus. Well, they aren't that interested. Jerry ate a little and Nimbus just sniffed it and walked away. Oh well. I guess I don't mind too much that they aren't crazy about it...$20 for 7lbs?!
yikes. Is it really worth it? Does anyone feed their cat(s) this food exclusively?

-Kristen

p.s. The illustrator/graphic designer in me LOVE the packaging designs for this product though.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a sample a few weeks ago and put a little in their dishes. I don't know if it was the food or the change but somone had runny poo after that. I don't think it was the change because I've changed their food quickly before and they were fine. So, the rest of my sample is in the cupboard.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We tried it but my cats weren't big fans. It has 2 different shaped pieces, they must taste different because my cats would eat one over the other after a while. I think we tried it a year or 2 ago.

My personal opinion was that it wasn't that spectacular for the price.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried it on mine and they wouldn't eat the fishy one but did OK with the chicken flavor. Within a week, I noticed that all of my long haired cats hair turned brittle and looked dull. It looks like it is lacking some essential oils. I switched them over to Evo and they are doing great.

G

ghostuser

$20 for 7lbs? Wow. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I know it was only a few cents more a lb than Nutro here. Chase and my sister's Kitty did wonderfully on Spa Select. I couldn't really tell you why looking at it as compared to other things they've eaten, but the results were great. Shiny coats, less itchy skin on Kitty. They get bored of any dry foods after awhile, though, and wouldn't touch any flavor other than the Chicken. So I had to change it.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried Blue Buffalo once, it's fairly similar to Chicken Soup, but not one of my cats was too pleased. Agree it's not worth the price

liandre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My adolescent kitties were on Blue. I wanted them on an all natural cat food, but my babies started to get some diarrhea and daily runny poo.

Today I bought them some Authority "Sensitive Solutions." I bought it for food intolerance. Unlike the other Authority cat foods, this is made without beef, corn or wheat. It is made with turkey and oatmeal (oatmeal is a neutral grain). It tastes a lot like Blue chicken, only a little less fishy. Yes, I tasted it. There are no artificial colors so it kinda has an old gray cardboard color. The cats love it so far. Oh, it was only half the price of Blue.

The only bad thing is you can only get it at PetSmart.

I am also shopping for Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck formula (no grains or other bad stuff). I will see if I can get a sample. It is similar and more costly, but I need a back up. I hope my babies like it. ~~~Liandre

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liandre

My adolescent kitties were on Blue. I wanted them on an all natural cat food, but my babies started to get some diarrhea and daily runny poo.

Today I bought them some Authority "Sensitive Solutions." I bought it for food intolerance. Unlike the other Authority cat foods, this is made without beef, corn or wheat. It is made with turkey and oatmeal (oatmeal is a neutral grain). It tastes a lot like Blue chicken, only a little less fishy. Yes, I tasted it. There are no artificial colors so it kinda has an old gray cardboard color. The cats love it so far. Oh, it was only half the price of Blue.

The only bad thing is you can only get it at PetSmart.

I am also shopping for Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck formula (no grains or other bad stuff). I will see if I can get a sample. It is similar and more costly, but I need a back up. I hope my babies like it. ~~~Liandre
Oatmeal FYI in human nutrition is debateable for carring a very simliar gluten to wheat , rye and barley... It is CONSIDERED NOT nuetral enough no hospital puts it on a Gluten free diet
... It has to do with common farming practices as you can get certified free oats but they arent common.... Oatmeal is a medium digesting grain and thus is less likely to cause tummy issue s ....

Petco has the natural balance .... I saw it cheaper at the local pet store and nearly died as it was 5$ higher than either of the two food I feed Zoey and one of those is GRAIN FREE with multiple meats

liandre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a mild form of celiac disease (allergy to wheat and grains) so believe it or not I know what my kitties are going through!
Sharkey is right about Oatmeal, but it is mild enough that many humans with grain allergies can eat it. I guess I am identifying to closely with my kitties. I just want them to eat what is natural for them, but the closest PetSmart has is the Authority and I had to grab something.

I went to the local pet store today looking for Natural Balance grain free formula for cats with allergies (Peas and Duck). The lady working there didn't have the slightest idea what I was talking about. I told her "Do you think wheat flour is natural for a cat to eat?"
I am going to try and get a sample of Natural Balance from the company. I may have to buy the stuff online.
~~~Liandre

Oh, I just cleaned the cat box. The litter for both cats for one day was under 1 qt. Lately, on Blue it's been 2 qts. The cats were drinking a lot of water when they had the runs. I have them on 50% Blue and 50% Authority and no runny poops! One of my kitties has been spitting out the Blue and eating only the Authority. I always find the nuggets in the same place. Blue is to rich, and expensive. Sometimes to much of a good thing is not a good thing. ~~~Lia