Bloody stool in cat with IBD

Icruze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

New user here with lots anxiety about our little guy. Our cat is 15 and was diagnosed last year with IBD and today he had his first bloody bowel movement. Over the last 2 weeks he got dehydrated and extremely constipated that he required some iv fluids and a couple of enemas. He's had some regular bowel movements since the enema.

I've attached a photo of the bowel movement I'm curious about what people think if this is "alot of blood". He's on a mix of wet food and hard diet from the vet already.

We've called our vet already and talked to him and he said it can be normal with his condition to have these symptoms and to monitor him for now and if it gets worse to bring him in asap.

Thanks for anyone who has any advice or has gone through this.

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say it's pretty common after the constipation and enema. Make sure he gets plenty of water, add some to the wet food. Just keep an eye on each be well movement and if it doesn't clear up in a few days, speak to your vet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is the good thing...that blood is red, which means it is almost certainly not an internal bleed, which would look like either coffee grounds or tar. As for the rest, see V verna davies ' excellent advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Icruze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the responses. He hasn't had a 2nd bowel movement yet with the diet he's on doesn't go everyday so this is normal for now. He's had constipation problems his entire life tho.

He's been pretty normal today which is good to see, eating normally and moving around about the same.

Again appricate the advice!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep us updated on how he's doing, please. Once someone has posted a question about their cat here, in some small way "their cat" becomes "our cat," too, and we fret!

OH, and welcome to TCS! You can introduce yourself and your baby (what on earth is his name? I canNOT keep thinking "Whatshisface" forever!) here: New Cats on the Block

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Icruze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone just wanted to post an update! Our cats name is Oreo, he just turned 15 this month :) he's helped me so much with my anxiety over the years I'm so thankful to have him.

Good news he has a bowel movement today and it didn't look like there was any blood! Atleast the kitty liter didn't look red and the stool wasn't black and tary.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes!

Attachments