Bloody Cat Fight With No Visible Wounds (could It Be From Mating?)

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three cats, one female and two males that are all fixed.

I heard my female hissing and yowling and ran downstairs to find her cat bed bloody and she pooped in it too. Thing is NONE of them have any visible wounds or blood on their claws or teeth.

My one male tries to mount my female often, could he have penetrated her and the blood came from that? I’ve only had fixed cats so I’m not sure if it’s bloody, but I do know they have a barbed penis.

He was fixed at a year old (street rescue) so he’s got the urges but not capable of making any kitties. Just wondering if he could have harmed her that way?

(Yes I’ve tried it all to get them to chill, feliway, calming collars, multiple litter boxes, thunder vests, calming treats, thc oil, soothing sprays etc etc)

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mating is normally not bloody, and in any case it wouldn't cause blood to drip like that. You said that she pooped in the bed... Was there any blood in or on her poop? Could she have been making noise because she was in pain while she pooped?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There wasn’t blood in her stool, and she only makes those noises when she’s being defensive with the male cats. I was also considering if she strained her anus when pooping, when the males attack her she poops in fear (poor girl!). Maybe when fear pooping she strained too hard and tore her anus a bit? She’s playing with me right now, running around happily, thankfully she seems good now... but the mystery blood still bothers me

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good to know that about mating though! That eliminates one major concern, though my boy Nox will likely still go after her he’s pretty hump happy even after being fixed nearly two years ago!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other than going to the vet so they can check if there is a boo boo in her bum, I don't really have anything to add for that.
BUT..I have a "Hump Happy" male (who's now 18). And to this day he still humps, and yes his little willy does come out too so it's not just a weird way of kneading or anything. What we did, and it seemed to help to allow him to "get out his frustrations" without humping us when cuddling or every surface in the house....seriously.....everything that was soft, was we got him a fur covered pillow as his very own blow up doll. Now he seems to only hump the armrest of the couch, which we discourage by simply putting him on the floor (no discipline or anything) or on his pillow, or he will simply seek out his pillow on his own. You could try something like that.
Next time he starts trying to get to your girls, just pick him up and introduce him to his very own "furry friend". I don't know why it worked for him but it did, although because we only had males in the house, he never (as far as I could see) tried to hump the other cats.
One thing I would also do, is try to give him more play time to tire him out a bit more. And also try to build up your timid girl's confidence, so she may start to defend herself instead of just pooping in fear. Poor thing!
I hope something helps! Good luck!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found "mystery blood" on occasion too. If there are no visible wounds I figure someone just bit their tongue or something like that. As long as it doesn't happen again I'd be inclined to write it off as a freak occurrence. But do keep anneye on the litterbox for a few days to make sure everything is OK.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
when the males attack her she poops in fear (poor girl!).
Can you give her some (a lot of) time separated from them?
She needs a way to have the stress/fear adrenline in her body decrease, otherwise she could end up with health issues beyond this, which in my mind does require a vet visit.

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Other than going to the vet so they can check if there is a boo boo in her bum, I don't really have anything to add for that.
BUT..I have a "Hump Happy" male (who's now 18). And to this day he still humps, and yes his little willy does come out too so it's not just a weird way of kneading or anything. What we did, and it seemed to help to allow him to "get out his frustrations" without humping us when cuddling or every surface in the house....seriously.....everything that was soft, was we got him a fur covered pillow as his very own blow up doll. Now he seems to only hump the armrest of the couch, which we discourage by simply putting him on the floor (no discipline or anything) or on his pillow, or he will simply seek out his pillow on his own. You could try something like that.
Next time he starts trying to get to your girls, just pick him up and introduce him to his very own "furry friend". I don't know why it worked for him but it did, although because we only had males in the house, he never (as far as I could see) tried to hump the other cats.
One thing I would also do, is try to give him more play time to tire him out a bit more. And also try to build up your timid girl's confidence, so she may start to defend herself instead of just pooping in fear. Poor thing!
I hope something helps! Good luck!
That might be worth trying! Nox humps everything soft and his penis does come out too... I just pick him up and put him on the floor but redirecting to one item might be better... maybe I’ll find a furry cat toy lol

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you check for broken claws too? Check him as well, maybe she somehow fought back enough to draw blood. Have you tried methods to get the boys to stop attacking her? Seems to be a stressful life for her if they attack her often.

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you give her some (a lot of) time separated from them?
She needs a way to have the stress/fear adrenline in her body decrease, otherwise she could end up with health issues beyond this, which in my mind does require a vet visit.
I have built a door to block off the entire upstairs for her when I go to work so I don’t worry about her when I’m not there to supervise! When I’m in the same room as them there are no fights, but if I go upstairs to use the bathroom they get into trouble

My vet knows all about her aggressive and fear based behaviour. Sadly she was in a feral colony for over two years and her behaviour is hard to modify (though thankfully she loves me!). We’ve tried everything short of medication, which I’d rather avoid.

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you check for broken claws too? Check him as well, maybe she somehow fought back enough to draw blood. Have you tried methods to get the boys to stop attacking her? Seems to be a stressful life for her if they attack her often.
I did check all their claws (but I trim them weekly) and no blood! I’ve tried tons to get them to leave her alone too, sadly the neighbor cats come up to the windows and trigger a response in my males. They want to fight them but can’t and redirect it towards her I try to distract them with toys and play but they get so worked up.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Something else I thought of is that you could put some non-stick window coverings on the windows so your cats can't see the outside cats?

Also there is citric peelings or even lemon furniture polish that you could spray outside (that would have to be refreshed after rain etc)- that could help deter the unwanted feline visitors.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sadly the neighbor cats come up to the windows and trigger a response in my males.
Have you tried anything to keep them away? I would imagine that if those stresses go away, the tension between them would diminish as well.