Blood Test At The Vet

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tomorow I am bringing my cat to the vet for some blood work and, even if his vet is pretty nice, I am still pretty scared.
He doesn't like people and he is pretty mean with them, he also gets stressed out when he isn't home.
Anyone knows if it hurts him really bad?
Any advice for me going there?
Anything that would make me feel better about the situation?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. No. No. And No.

I just had to do this with Stewart last week. He's now six years old, but he moved in with us a 10 month old feral. We have to do his blood once a year because he's on prozac. He doesn't like his sides touched, his legs touched, and will try to bite you if he knows needles are involved.

So what can you do? Sit back and watch. Don't try to touch him. Don't try to help. He was screaming and thrashing and biting and anything he could, so they wrapped him tightly in two towels, and worked his back leg out and took the blood. You'd think they were murdering him, but they stayed calm. He didn't. We untoweled him right into the front of his carrier and he went right in and laid down while it was time for my other cat's blood draw.

Amalie is older and getting dental work at the beginning of March. They didn't have to use a single towel. She didn't try to bite, and never hissed. She let out one, tiny little whine that went away as soon as I started petting her face. And we were done.

Do I think it really hurts them? Not very. It can't be any more uncomfortable for them than it is when we have to do blood outselves. I have another cat that goes through this just like Amalie does.

And then there was Stewart. An extreme exaggeration. I can empathize with you. But, do not intervene and try to help them when they're doing it as fast and efficient as they can. Ask if they need anything, but it'll be over in about two minutes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No. No. No. And No.

I just had to do this with Stewart last week. He's now six years old, but he moved in with us a 10 month old feral. We have to do his blood once a year because he's on prozac. He doesn't like his sides touched, his legs touched, and will try to bite you if he knows needles are involved.

So what can you do? Sit back and watch. Don't try to touch him. Don't try to help. He was screaming and thrashing and biting and anything he could, so they wrapped him tightly in two towels, and worked his back leg out and took the blood. You'd think they were murdering him, but they stayed calm. He didn't. We untoweled him right into the front of his carrier and he went right in and laid down while it was time for my other cat's blood draw.

Amalie is older and getting dental work at the beginning of March. They didn't have to use a single towel. She didn't try to bite, and never hissed. She let out one, tiny little whine that went away as soon as I started petting her face. And we were done.

Do I think it really hurts them? Not very. It can't be any more uncomfortable for them than it is when we have to do blood outselves. I have another cat that goes through this just like Amalie does.

And then there was Stewart. An extreme exaggeration. I can empathize with you. But, do not intervene and try to help them when they're doing it as fast and efficient as they can. Ask if they need anything, but it'll be over in about two minutes.
Thank you so much for your advice, I do think they will take him in the back and do it, I know for sure he will be mad at me but I know this has to be done, I' still scared though:)

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your advice, I do think they will take him in the back and do it, I know for sure he will be mad at me but I know this has to be done, I' still scared though:)
I hope he doesn't hold it against you. By the time were were driving home, he started talking to me but his little voice was cracked from all the screaming he'd done. After we got back home and settled in, he was in my lap within 2 hours and hung out to watch a movie with me. It's just this one thing you have to get over, and then you all go back to the rest of your day.
Vaccinations are different. If he needs any shots he can have a reaction and not want to talk to anyone for about a day and a half. Stewy did that with his last set in 2016. Don't talk to me and don't touch me! Next time they try to update vaccinations for anything I'm going to request a titer test to check his immunity before we do it again.

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope he doesn't hold it against you. By the time were were driving home, he started talking to me but his little voice was cracked from all the screaming he'd done. After we got back home and settled in, he was in my lap within 2 hours and hung out to watch a movie with me. It's just this one thing you have to get over, and then you all go back to the rest of your day.
Vaccinations are different. If he needs any shots he can have a reaction and not want to talk to anyone for about a day and a half. Stewy did that with his last set in 2016. Don't talk to me and don't touch me! Next time they try to update vaccinations for anything I'm going to request a titer test to check his immunity before we do it again.
Yes, he does get mad at me pretty fast, he then ignores me for a good 2 days:)) but that doesn' stop me from hug him.
You made me feel better, I just don' want him to be in pain but I know it' gonna take a couple of minutes.
Thank you

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will be fine, they deal with a whole range of cat reactions to being in the vet surgery, including feral cats - if need be they will have a vet nurse to assist and will wrap him in a towel with pretty much just his leg sticking out so they can take blood, being swaddled like that can actually calm them a bit.

If you are likely to be distressed seeing them do it (which is completely understandable), then wait outside the consultation room for a few minutes while they do it - your anxiety could be detected by your cat and make him more nervous.

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It will be fine, they deal with a whole range of cat reactions to being in the vet surgery, including feral cats - if need be they will have a vet nurse to assist and will wrap him in a towel with pretty much just his leg sticking out so they can take blood, being swaddled like that can actually calm them a bit.

If you are likely to be distressed seeing them do it (which is completely understandable), then wait outside the consultation room for a few minutes while they do it - your anxiety could be detected by your cat and make him more nervous.
Thank you so much, I will try to be as strong as I can and help my little guy:)

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just tell the staff that he doesn't like strange people and may bite or scratch. They will take additional precautions. While any cat could potentially freak out, my current cats are extremely mellow with the vet and techs. Previously though, I had a large male cat that the tech assistants were scared of. His growling and spitting sounded like he'd rip their throat out. My vet would come get him and was always good (vet said he was just a talker).

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and your boy will be fine. I was in the vet's office on Saturday with my three-year-old male tabby, Atticus, and he had a jugular draw for a cbc. Atticus is the most relaxed kitty on the planet and although I knew he wasn't enjoying it, he didn't cry or squirm at all. Even if it's a god-awful, terrible experience for you both it will be worth it because you're keeping him healthy. It's what good cat mom and dads do.

Good luck!