Blood spots on floor?

BigBurgers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another saga in the adventures of my cat's CKD! The D-Mannose hasn't worked for her, and now she's battling yet another UTI which we've been treating with antibiotics the past two weeks. We ran a culture and the vet said we're using the right med. She seemed to be perking up after about 5 days, more active and playful, though her water intake has increased. At this point with her kidney health I just assumed that it's par for the course. Well, today I woke up to find a blood splatter on the floor in a spray pattern. With all the UTIs she's never had over the years she's only marked outside of the box a few times (usually the symptom that leads us to discover the UTI), and she's NEVER had blood in her urine. I'm waiting to hear back from the vet, but my initial gut feeling is that her UTI hasn't cleared up. The good news is that her appetite is strong, she's not lethargic, and has been using the litter box. I DO suspect that she's spacing out a bit, kind of "out of it" again. Just wondering if anybody has experienced blood in the urine with their cats before.

blood1.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a fair bit quantity-wise, I'd talk to the vet as you're planning to, and send them this picture so they can see it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BigBurgers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got off the phone with the vet. I sent along the picture, and considering her appetite, activity level, etc., she isn't concerned that it's TOO serious, but suggested we keep her on antibiotics for another week and run a bladder X-Ray to rule out a stone. Will be taking her in today!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BigBurgers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe I've heard of Hydra Care before. Do you give it to them in place of water, like a feeding session? Or do you let it stand? My only concern is wasting too much.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm currently totally ignoring the package's advice regarding the quantity to give, and he's getting three tablespoons daily with his morning meal. However, that's me after finding out he did his typical "oh something new let's dive in" and then "oh, old news, meh".

It's intended to be provided in addition to the regular water.

Oh by the way, are you using filtered water? That may help also.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi B BigBurgers -

I'm just coming across this now.........

The "Hydra Care" product from Purina, in the opinion of the author of "Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease", the generally recognized 'oracle' for all things about 'kidney cats', would appear to be inappropriate for cats with CKD:

"...this product is designed for cats with a different type of problem (FLUTD) , and is designed to lower urine specific gravity (USG). Therefore I do not think this product is suitable for CKD cats, who tend to have too low a USG anyway."​

[I read your mention of wastage as well - this is not an inexpensive product, and its taste is not acceptable to all cats....]

I believe it would be unwise to feed this to a cat with kidney disease.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Veterinarians are suggesting it for cats with chronic kidney disease.

As with all things cats, it depends on the cat and the cat's veterinarian.

Last edited: