blood results (please look) and hyperthroidism

vipers_rule

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
anyone know how to read blood work? I have a senior female fixed outdoor (on porch) cat that was just diagnosed via this blood work with hyperthyroidism. To those who know blood work- how average or bad are the results? My cat was lethargic just looking over the water bowl yesterday morning, wouldnt come out of her cat shelter- I took her to the vet- she was eating recovery canned and dry treats while waiting to see vet. Dr. said she is hyperthyroid. shes around 7 pounds. Bony back, but shes old/er. Imho she has been eating fine drinking fine. Not ravenous or anything crazy. She loves recovery canned food. I spoil all my outdoor kitties. They get canned 3-4 times a week, tuna often also. fresh water always, treats etc. Im getting her pills probably this afternoon. twice a day. If I cant get her to keep the pills down, I'll have to order the expensive ear gel. She seemed her normal self before and after work on Wednesday. My vet thinks her kidneys are not too bad. He def feels by those numbers its 100 percent hyperthroidism. He also gave her a dewormer, flea treatment and an appetite stimulant.

Attachments

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, the diagnosis of HT is done through a specific test of the thyroid hormones, T4, fT4 and TSH, which I don't see in your reports. I might be wrong, though, and a good vet can read the other levels and come to the same conclusion.
My cat was HT, and the vet first diagnosed her by palpating her neck and he felt an enlarged gland, but nonetheless he prescribed a specific blood work to express an official diagnosis.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the above. Those reports do not include anything that relates to having your cat checked for hyperthyroidism. Check to see if they forgot to give you that report, which typically is a T4 count as mentioned above - the other tests are not generally done unless the T4 is questionable. Thyroid meds are most commonly known by the name of methimazole and should not be given to this cat until you can confirm the hyperthyroidism diagnosis. Further, re-resting of the thyroid level is a necessity once a cat begins this med to ensure the dosage is correct.

Your cat's glucose is high - did the vet mention a chance of diabetes? Her blood work also suggests she might have an infection (

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't see evidence of thyroid issues either, unless there is another page of test results we aren't seeing here. But to me, I agree that there is something going on, possibly an infection of some sort. Maybe these two articles will be helpful: