Blood/Mucus in stool - first time

Finlaycopperpot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
this is the first time I’ve notice blood in his stool and I don’t know if I should be concerned. His stool is also soft and smudged when I tried to scoop it.
Should I be taking him to the vet ASAP? I’m worried
74F5FEB2-B9BD-42F3-A681-4E26AC54F571.jpeg

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding? Switch to wet if feeding dry. Dry food is horrible, and it's a myth that it does anything for felines teeth.

My cat once had an anal fissure, like a scrape in the poop canal that caused some poop like that, switched to wet and it was gone.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A change in food in general can also cause a bit of blood in the stool, as well as softer poop - especially if the change wasn't made slowly over a period of time. And, that can happen regardless of whether the food is dry or canned. Should that be the case, switch him back to what he was used to eating and see if the blood goes away. If it does, you can proceed with changing his food, but very, very gradually (90% old food, 10% new food for a few days, then 80-20, etc.).

If the blood continues for more than a couple of days, and/or any other issues show up, I would be consulting with his vet.