Blood in Urine - Part III

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just talking to her on the phone.
She said there is something in the utrasound but they are not sure what it is yet.
She hung up to call Uc Davis and will call back after.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Simkie

Any news, Blast-off-Girl?
Hi Simkie - thanks for your concern. The ultrasound revealed an unidentified mass in the bladder, which could be a tumor (benign or malignant) or a hematoma. The doctor also scanned other organs including the lymph nodes to check if cancer spread to those areas. Fortunately, those other organs are okay. Nonetheless, I am meeting with an oncologist tomorrow and I am very nervous. I hope we can get through this difficult time with whatever treatment. I'm trying to get an appointment at UC Davis but I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, so here's the update. I called UC Davis this morning and the oncology clinic would not see Buster unless there was an official diagnosis of cancer. They told me that my regular clinic could do an aspiration to determine if it is cancer. Apparently, my vet doesn't do aspirations, so I called elsewhere. However, all the vets told me that I should just see an oncologist because they can do the aspirations there (except for UC Davis).

Therefore, I decided to stick with my appointment at 10 AM with the local oncologist. She was so nice and didn't charge me for an extra ultrasound. She didn't know what the mass was either and obviously suggested an aspiration. I then decided that I want to jump to the surgery immediately. Whatever it was, I wanted it to be removed immediately. Obviously, it's uncomfortable and it's causing excessive bleeding. If it's cancer, I don't want chemotherapy drugs. I rather bypass all the costly diagnostic tests (i.e. MRIs, CT scans, aspiration) and just get this mass out ASAP. I know it's expensive but I love Buster so much and he's worth it.

Anyway, the surgeon checked out the ultrasound and decided that it was safe to remove the mass. It's far away from the neck of the bladder (that's a dangerous area because it's close proximity to the kidneys) on the other side. They also think he's very healthy for anesthesia because he's otherwise normal (good heart rate, good kidneys, etc). So, we're meeting with the surgeon on Monday morning. If all goes as planned, then the surgery will happen on Tuesday.

I know the approximate cost ($3000-$4000 with everything included) and I'm willing to pay the price.

I'll keep you all updated.

P.S. The best part is that I lost 4 pounds due to not eating these past few days. I hope I keep it off

simkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that it's not great news, but at least you finally have an answer. I hope that surgery goes smoothly and that the mass is benign!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Simkie

I'm sorry that it's not great news, but at least you finally have an answer. I hope that surgery goes smoothly and that the mass is benign!
sending my & .
oh, & congrats on the weight loss! [stress'll do it, everytime!]