Blood In Urine - How Long After Antibiotics?

kayliekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 14+ year old started having blood in her urine starting last Thursday. I took her to the vet and she received a shot (convenia) on Friday afternoon.
So far I don’t see any improvement, but she is feeling fine and not straining/showing signs of pain. How long should I wait before I take her back? I don’t want to put her through too many tests, but I also don’t want to delay anything.
Thank you in advance for any advice!!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Can you call the vet and just ask them if they can provide any kind of a timeline regarding when things should improve? That's probably not a thought you wanted to hear, but I can't really think of anything else since I'm not a vet. Hang in there, we're sending you tons of good wishes!!

Last edited:

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Did the vet do a urine culture? Unfortunately, without a urine culture being sent out for analysis, the convenia might not be the best antibiotic to treat the specific strain of bacteria causing the infection. I would highly suggest getting this done - then it comes back with a report on exactly what you are dealing with and the best antibiotics to treat it. Typically you repeat the culture after the antibiotics are complete just to make sure the infection is completely gone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kayliekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! I called the vet and they said to give it a few more days. Since she is not in pain and otherwise behaving normally, I will give it two more days. If I don’t see significant improvements, I will go back for more testing.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry! I would really push to get the urine cultured - chances are the antibiotic used wasn't the correct one for the strain of bacteria - the culture will really pin point the strain and the best antibiotic to treat it this time. Sending you healing vibes for your fur baby!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kayliekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! They analyzed the urine; doesn’t look as if there are any crystals. She got another shot and food that should be helpful for the urinary tract and kidneys. I will research it more; for tonight both kitty and I are tired. She seems fine overall and just came to snuggle next to me.