Blood in the stool

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just found my 4 yo boy kitty using the box, and his stool was quite soft and a little bloody. I am assuming I should take him to the vet ASAP? I should be able to get him there tomorrow.

I've never really had any health problems with my kitties. They don't go outside, but I did bring a new kitty into the fold a few months ago so I'm wondering if maybe she had some kind of intestinal parasite that he picked up. He hasn't acted strangely, but I know sick cats often don't. I hope it's not anything serious!

I am assuming I should save the stool and bring it to the vet to analyze. Better to use a plastic container than a plastic bag?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
either will work put it in the fridge...

is the blood alot ? a few drops ? bright red or dark ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was more than a few drops, but not a ton. Somewhat bright. He was standing up to go instead of crouching--not sure if he always does that.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you got him in today and give an update later .. Normally bright red is not as much of an ER issue.

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have an appt in a couple hrs. I emailed my friend's brother, who is a vet, and he said one episode with no other symptoms wouldn't worry him that much, but to be on the safe side I'm still going to take him in, esp since it's Friday and I'd have to go to the ER vet on the weekend.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a friday, I would take to the vet too rather than risk an evet visit.

If your vet does think its a parasite, make sure you treat all of your cats for the parasite so it does not spread again

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good news--she thinks it's probably the stress of the new kitty who joined the household, or possibly something in the food. I used to feed Nutro Dry, and switched to Wellness Core around the same time Sophie joined the household. He is also eating a little wet food now when I put it out, whereas before he ate nothing but gravy. I got a bag of Nutro and will switch back to that, and we'll see what happens. She also gave me an antibiotic to firm up his stools again (trying to get THAT into him ought to be fun...) If things get worse or don't improve we'll treat the household for coccidia. I really hope I don't have to do that as I don't think there is ANY way I could get a pill or liquid down Sophie. But if nothing else I guess I can pay my petsitter to do it since he lives almost next door.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear the vet doesn't think it's anything overly serious,Waddle! Hopefully, the increase in wet food and the decrease in stress as the new kitty settles in will bring things totally right for you.