Blood In Stool.

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.
Our cat-3.5 yr old Frisky has just started having blood in her stools.
She is in good spirits,her usual self.Ready to play at a moments notice,and eats,and drinks.
Her nails have not been cut in a really long time because its impossible to get her in her cat carrier because she is too fast.Is pumpkin something that can help this ?
She ate some human food the other day-some leftover sardines,and the red oil.Not that much,but thought i should add that.Her regular food since we picked her up from the shelter is Hill Optimal Care ages 1-6
Any natural methods/ideas for easing IBD,or any gastric issues?
Her behaviour has not altered-sleeps good.
I,m also wondering if not cleaning the litter box enough might be a cause as she licks her claws quite a bit.
Thanks for any thoughts:cool2:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Blood in stool could indicate many different health issues, IBD being only one of them. I'd reccommend taking Frisky to the vet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were the ingredients in the sardines just sardines, water, salt? What did you mean by red oil? My cats just had a little sardines yesterday, so it should be okay if it's just those ingredients. Is she getting any wet canned food at all? Is she constipated?

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with abyeb abyeb that blood in the stools could mean any \\\\\\\\\\\\n

I agree with abyeb abyeb that blood in the stool could mean any number of issues and needs checked into by your Vet. That being said, it has been my experience with IBD kitties particularly where there is inflammation in the lower GI tract--ileum/colon, that ingestion of rich oily fish such as sardines, herring, mackerel is an extreme irritant. I had a IBD kitty with IBD in the ileum who ate some mackerel onetime. He loved it...but it didn't love him! He got bloody, mucousy diarrhea so bad he had to be hospitalized. Another IBD kitty whose inflammation was also in the ileum ate some food that had herring in it. She loved it, but again, bloody diarrhea resulted. I learned my lesson.

To be safe I would stay with the cat's regular food. It is always a good idea to keep the litterbox very clean. When you take her to the Vet, you could have them clip her nails.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the above////////// I have a cat on my lap who hit the keyboard!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, good info about the sardines and IBD! I never heard that before. I guess they can be harmful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Were the ingredients in the sardines just sardines, water, salt? What did you mean by red oil? My cats just had a little sardines yesterday, so it should be okay if it's just those ingredients. Is she getting any wet canned food at all? Is she constipated?
Hi.
The ingredients in the sardines are:sardines,water,modified cornstarch,salt,sugar,soya oil,citric acid,xanthum gum,polysorbate 80,spices.
Thats directly from the can itself.
We wont be giving her anymore.The only human food we regularly feed her is organic coco oil,and occassionally jam.
She is not getting any wet canned food,and she has never been constipated.The oil is from the can itself.
She once licked my fingers after i had some Lays chips,and had blood after that,but it went away.
She has a play toy that when she catches it,she will sometimes bite it like she wants to swallow it,but cant,so she will gnaw on it.That toy has been suspended for now.
you cant pet her for long without her wanting to play,or scratch at you in a playful manner,which for us means ouch!
Cant think of anything else right now.
Thanks for replying.

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, good info about the sardines and IBD! I never heard that before. I guess they can be harmful.
I,m not really sure about if they are harmful,but i think it may be plausible.
The way they make food today who knows.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it was something in the spices in the sardines. That could be anything.

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it was something in the spices in the sardines. That could be anything.
I also just wondered if a cats tail being pulled often can cause an issue or tear or what have you,near the anus.
Hers looks fine with a flashlight,but sometimes her tail gets caught on a toy she loves,and she hates when that happens,and tries like hell to get it off the tail by spinning around in a circles.

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if i should have started a new thread.
Anyway,we are very happy to report that Frisky has not had any blood in her stools for the last 3 days.I wish i had thought to send pics when they first occurred.The last 3 poops have had zero blood,and her mood is better.
I think it might have been due to a combo of three things.
A toy pulling on her tail hard.The litter was overdue for changing,and upgrading.
The consuming of sardines 2-3 days in a row.
We are emptying her litter box an hour or less after she uses it,and that is a big help,as it also keeps the litter/box fresh.
With this cat it has to be emptied at least 5x/day.
Thanks again for all the posts.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear she is doing better. If you ever give her sardines again, I would avoid the ones with spices in them. The ones I get are just sardines, water, salt. I only give it once a week. You shouldn't have to change her litter 5 times a day if there is enough litter in there. Or do you mean you are scooping it 5 times a day? Are you using clumping litter?

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Meow TY.
Yes i meant to say scooping it on avg 5x/day
Its always being checked now to see if anything is in there,and if so,then it will be emptied right away,to keep the litter fresh as can be.
We use a scented clumping litter.
The only other human food which is safe for her is jam,and coco oil.
She may be allergic to sardines so wont be giving her anymore,plus she wont mind that much.

mrskittles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.
Our cat-3.5 yr old Frisky has just started having blood in her stools.
She is in good spirits,her usual self.Ready to play at a moments notice,and eats,and drinks.
Her nails have not been cut in a really long time because its impossible to get her in her cat carrier because she is too fast.Is pumpkin something that can help this ?
She ate some human food the other day-some leftover sardines,and the red oil.Not that much,but thought i should add that.Her regular food since we picked her up from the shelter is Hill Optimal Care ages 1-6
Any natural methods/ideas for easing IBD,or any gastric issues?
Her behaviour has not altered-sleeps good.
I,m also wondering if not cleaning the litter box enough might be a cause as she licks her claws quite a bit.
Thanks for any thoughts:cool2:

mrskittles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm having the same issue. I fed my cats a rich food, one threw up, 3 were ok, my favorite has diarrhea and blood in her stool. Her mood is good, Appetite good also. Switched to plain chicken and rice. It seems like your cat took a week to get normal is that about right?

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm having the same issue. I fed my cats a rich food, one threw up, 3 were ok, my favorite has diarrhea and blood in her stool. Her mood is good, Appetite good also. Switched to plain chicken and rice. It seems like your cat took a week to get normal is that about right?
Yeah thats about right.
There were several good looking bowel movements.
Frisky has a scratch post made of cardboard,and sometimes she eats the cardboard,and today there was a very small amount of blood in her otherwise good looking stool.I dont know if eating small pieces of cardboard can cause that,but i,m guessing its not something a cat should be eating,even in small tiny bits,but we cant catch her in time to stop her.

mrskittles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for responding. I think I saw a better stool today. You know I used to have horses and it was always exciting when you had enough poop in the stall to clean LOL because with horses if they don't go to the bathroom they can colic & die.

Anyway sorry for getting off-topic sort of, I am feeding her just plain chicken and rice along with the other one who also had a loose stool but no blood. And this really did happen in the exact time frame I changed part of their recipe. Going to go back to what I have been feeding for 14 years I just ran out of the other 50% of the ingredients and that will never happen again!!
It has not been a week yet so here I sit monitoring every single time she goes to the litter box. Good thing she is not a shy cat.

As for your cardboard issue, that indicates to me she might be lacking in some Fiber in her diet. You really should consider changing the style of her scratching post. I could see cardboard causing a slight cut in the intestine. It's just not worth the expense when you can replace the scratching post with some other form.

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for responding. I think I saw a better stool today. You know I used to have horses and it was always exciting when you had enough poop in the stall to clean LOL because with horses if they don't go to the bathroom they can colic & die.

Anyway sorry for getting off-topic sort of, I am feeding her just plain chicken and rice along with the other one who also had a loose stool but no blood. And this really did happen in the exact time frame I changed part of their recipe. Going to go back to what I have been feeding for 14 years I just ran out of the other 50% of the ingredients and that will never happen again!!
It has not been a week yet so here I sit monitoring every single time she goes to the litter box. Good thing she is not a shy cat.

As for your cardboard issue, that indicates to me she might be lacking in some Fiber in her diet. You really should consider changing the style of her scratching post. I could see cardboard causing a slight cut in the intestine. It's just not worth the expense when you can replace the scratching post with some other form.
Can you recommend something with fiber in it?
She has always been happy with Hills Optimal Care ages 1-6.
On the label it says crude fiber-max 3.5%
I dont know if thats a lot or too little.\?

She adores the cardboard post.Problem is when she uses it ,the cardboard comes off,so i have to monitor any loose cardboard,and have been monitoring every poop,and she isnt shy either.I use a flashlight to examine her poop.

We have fed her organic coconut oil by "Nutiva" for years,and she loves it,and gives her good energy,and pep.
Pumpkin may also help your situation.If not i would google Natural Cures for ..........
Feel free to post anything else.
Good luck !

mrskittles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you recommend something with fiber in it?
She has always been happy with Hills Optimal Care ages 1-6.
On the label it says crude fiber-max 3.5%
I dont know if thats a lot or too little.\?

She adores the cardboard post.Problem is when she uses it ,the cardboard comes off,so i have to monitor any loose cardboard,and have been monitoring every poop,and she isnt shy either.I use a flashlight to examine her poop.

We have fed her organic coconut oil by "Nutiva" for years,and she loves it,and gives her good energy,and pep.
Pumpkin may also help your situation.If not i would google Natural Cures for ..........
Feel free to post anything else.
Good luck !
I feed them coconut oil as well but I am feeding a homemade diet to begin with. As far as Fiber goes, that is usually vegetables. I use carrots and zucchini because I read that you should use one above ground vegetable and one below ground vegetable. You can again just research foods that have fiber but of course not all of them you can give to cats.

But I have been doing carrots and zucchini for over 14 years without any issues. And as far as pumpkin goes, that's the last thing this cat needs LOL. And even amounts of the carrots and zucchini. 1tsp mixed in with her food.